Crocodile Hunt in Limpopo

rooihond

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
AH Members,

It looks like a dream is coming true as I have a croc permit in the works for my first safari in May 2014. My trip will consist of rifle and bowhunting but I will make some final decisions as conditions are weighed on location. I also have bushbuck, kudu, and zebra listed in my dreams(among many other species). Conditions, budget, and Africa herself will provide some guidance as things develop.

Searches on AH and the Internet have provided me with quite a bit of info for my hunt but I feel that there is plenty that I am still unaware of. Some things will be great to discover during the adventure but I would like to avoid mistakes if possible.

That being said, does anybody have any advice or info to add regarding a croc hunt? I am looking to spot and stalk with a bow and intend to stay away from deep water and large rivers unless I decide to switch to a rifle.

Any info will be appreciated.

P.S.
I posted this in the Hunting Forum as rifle and bow info is welcome. Please feel free to move the thread if appropriate. I am a bit of a knuckledragger when it comes to internet forums so I apologize in advance for clumsy participation.

Rooihond,good luck on the hunt,you have quite a challenge ahead,those crocs can be real clever.

Spot and Stalk Crocs with a Bow!
That is going to need excellent fortune.

I have only gotten into bow range of one and it was already leaving. I could not have killed it with a rifle actually.
Should be interesting.
Maybe someone has some tricks for you.

Tie a piece of zebra to your left leg and wait near the bank!
Or put the whole the carcass out and hide inside it.

Spot and Stalk Crocs with a Bow!
That is going to need excellent fortune.

I have only gotten into bow range of one and it was already leaving. I could not have killed it with a rifle actually.
Should be interesting.
Maybe someone has some tricks for you.

Yeah, I have a feeling that this will be a challenge.

Will you have a float with a line attached to your arrow setup? As that croc will most definitely go into deep water, getting in range is possible as mentioned..

My best always

Will you have a float with a line attached to your arrow setup? As that croc will most definitely go into deep water, getting in range is possible as mentioned..

My best always

No line or float. I will be hunting in shallow water to allow recovery or switching to rifle for unfavorable conditions. Is this hoping for too much in the way of perfect circumstances?

it will be right up there as a bowhunt trophy rooihond.
ive seen video of it done at night ,but to pull it off during the day would be something special ,mate .
hope it come together for you .
even lowering the bar and stalking one with the boomstick, will be something you wont forget until alziehmers takes over .

a good lung shot should make it come back out of the water. as you wont have unlimited time i think you will end up using bait and a blind, or find where one usually lies in the sun and wait for it to come out. to stalk one and have it in the right position to place your arrow will test your patience to the limit me thinks :smoking::sweat::nailbiter::banghead::biggrin2:

it will be right up there as a bowhunt trophy rooihond.
ive seen video of it done at night ,but to pull it off during the day would be something special ,mate .
hope it come together for you .
even lowering the bar and stalking one with the boomstick, will be something you wont forget until alziehmers takes over .

Thank you! It looks like it will come together as a great experience. Rifle was my first intention but this crazy idea really has me going!

a good lung shot should make it come back out of the water. as you wont have unlimited time i think you will end up using bait and a blind, or find where one usually lies in the sun and wait for it to come out. to stalk one and have it in the right position to place your arrow will test your patience to the limit me thinks :smoking::sweat::nailbiter::banghead::biggrin2:

I came across the lung shot tactic on AH and it is definitely under consideration. I have also considered the ambush at a basking spot idea. I would be pretty thrilled with that. Patience is loaded and ready!

I came across the lung shot tactic on AH and it is definitely under consideration. I have also considered . Patience is loaded and ready!

i know very little about bow hunting but i would have thought the only shot using one on a croc would be a lung shot. i have shot quite a few and even with a couple in the brain its amazing how much they can still be pretty active.......

I bow hunt 90% of the time but never killed any type crocodile or alligator but now I'm thinking. Does anybody know if you could get a heavy arrow with a nice sharp two blade head and brain one? I'm thinking tree stand, on the edge of the river maybe some bait and a straight down brain shot or spine or both. Crazy or might work?

I bow hunt 90% of the time but never killed any type crocodile or alligator but now I'm thinking. Does anybody know if you could get a heavy arrow with a nice sharp two blade head and brain one? I'm thinking tree stand, on the edge of the river maybe some bait and a straight down brain shot or spine or both. Crazy or might work?

it would be good if it worked .
wouldn't be so good if your croc or gaitor hits the bolt , with an arrow sticking out of its noggin .
not to be seen for a few weeks ,and ends up on the local news . with everyone saying how hunting these guys with a bow is in humane .
id stick with a lung shot with archery equipement .
the one I seen in an African video ,was done at night (if l was fortunate to hunt a croc with a bow ,I would only do it during the day) they light him up with an over head torch ,much like the leopards are done .
zooooink, and he was back in the water in a flash and a splash .trailing a string behind him .stayed on the bottom of the river until he bleed out or drowned .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SavannahDo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg