Steve Maine

Reaction score
Good day fellow hunters.
I am soon to be setting off on a short notice hunt for one particular large croc in Mozambique. He is reported to be around 15 feet. I guess a few feet less in reality but still pretty big.
I will be using my bow and have been searching the forums for info. There seem to be a few schools of thought as to weather the fishing arrow method or regular hunting arrow works best. Obviously there are also opinions on fixed blade or mechanical broadheads.
Although I have seen crocs hunted with the fishing arrow method, I am not convinced that is the easiest or safest way as you would almost certainly need a follow up shot with something more lethal.
As far as fixed or mechanical heads go, I am on the fence. I’ve seen mechanicals penetrate some seriously thick hides and believe they would work perfectly from a shooting angle other than right overhead.

I’d be very grateful if anyone who has hunted a croc with a bow would offer some advice or at least share a story.

Steve.

Wow! Sounds adventurous! No experience at all with bows and crocs, but would choose fixed blades.

What about a String Tracker attached to a float? That way you could use a regular, lethal hunting arrow.

Welcome to AH and good luck on your hunt.

Regular hunting arrow, fixed blade.

15 foot is very large and I suspect probably an over estimate but still possible, anything over 12 is big and over 14 is huge.

Not sure where you will be hunting this croc. Short notice and the size sounds like a problem croc. Cattle killer or maneater.

If in one of the bigger rivers hunting it with a bow will be very risky to say the least. Unless you are very lucky and anchor it with the arrow severing the spine, you may well lose it.

Trying to hunt it in the swamps or mangroves by stalking will not be successful with a bow.

If it is in a pan or dam recovery will be easier.

Baiting it outside the water will be the best option, this way the whole croc will be out the water offer you a better shot.

Either way I would suggest asking the PH to back you up with a rifle in case your first shot does not anchor it.

All the best and get enough practice to ensure pinpoint placement.

Looking forward to a post hunt report.

@Steve Maine

You are in for quite a challenge... I have not personally done a croc hunt with a bow, but we have had a few clients successfully attempt this in the past using the methods shown below. I have also seen one shot with just a compound bow and arrow over a bait site 75 yards inland, but a follow up shot with a rifle was necessary to stop the croc from making it back to the water. You can certainly attempt this, but a need for a follow-up rifle kill is nearly inevitable this way. But, If you are okay with that, it would likely be the safest and fastest way to get it done.

The method offering the highest percentage of success and most ethical way to hunt them strictly with a bow is to employ a bow fishing system that utilizes a special arrow/shaft with a detachable head attached to a float buoy. Once the croc is tethered to the line, it can be slowly retrieved for follow-up shots with a compound bow and a conventional dangerous game arrow. The video below is a perfect example of this type of hunt done the right way.

Here is another example employing the same method: You can see that the hunter follows up his initial shot with a compound bow and arrow set-up. To do this correctly you will need either two bows, or find a way to tune your bow to shoot both the bow fishing and conventional arrows with some semblance of accuracy. I would suggest using two separate bows.

There are several bow fishing equipment manufacturers that make these heavy duty specialty arrows for gator hunting here in the States. I would get the most sturdy model shaft/head combo that they make. Then for your subsequent shots, use a dangerous game arrow heavy enough to generate the momentum necessary for excellent penetration. I would suggest something similar to a Cape buffalo set-up with an arrow of at least 900 grains in total weight, and a 2-blade, single bevel broadhead... Don't even consider a mechanical broadhead for this hunt... Good luck and be safe!

Reactions: IvW
I have absolutely no experience on this subject. I have been told that if you lung hit a crocodile and they make it to the water there lungs will fill forcing them back on land. No clue if it's true bUT it makes sense. Agreement with heavy arrow and fixed blade broadhead.

Welcome to AH! I can’t wait to see the story and pictures of this!
Best of luck!

Interesting. Is there an estimate of how far the shot is going to be? I have done well on the foam alligator at 25 yards at my local pro shop with a carbon arrow and fiend point. Lol. In all seriousness it is not a really big target and my concern would be it slipping into the water and getting away. I assume a lung/heart is the target and wouldn’t think penetration isn’t as big of an issue as a buffalo or other large game. I would want to be accurate, say a 5 inch circle at whatever the max distance you want to shoot at. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg