Boela

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Zululand Hunters & Conservation Association, South African Hunters Association, PHASA
Hunted
South Africa, England, Wales, Austria, Swaziland, US: Idaho, Alaska
I don't know anything else other than what is given in this news report- but what I do know, is that someone, somewhere, will need to answer some tough questions.

My sincere condolences to the hunters family.

https://m.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...ing-lion-hunt-in-the-north-west-20180128#menu

Croatian trophy hunter killed during lion hunt in the North West

Mahikeng - A 75-year old man was shot dead at a North West captive-bred lion hunting farm on Saturday, police said.

While details around the incident remain sketchy, police spokesperson Captain Charlize van der Linden, confirmed that Pero Jelinic, from Croatia, and two other Croatians, were hunting captive-bred lions at Leeubosch Lodge near Setlagole, when the incident occurred.

According to Van der Linden, the hunting party had already killed a lion, and were tracking a second cat, when Jelinic was struck by a bullet.

"He was air-lifted to Vryburg Hospital by helicopter, but doctors were unable to save the man's life. A case of culpable homicide has been opened, and police are also investigating charges of illegal possession of a firearm and ammunition," she said.

"At this stage it is not clear who fired the fatal shot that killed Mr Jelinic. Our investigations are ongoing."

The owner of Leeubosch Lodge, Dr Gideon Engelbrecht, told News24 that he was not at the farm when the incident occurred.

"I was at my surgery when I received the call. I arranged for a helicopter to take the man to hospital, but that's all I am going to give you at this stage, because the case is still under investigation," he said.

South Africa's legal, but highly controversial captive-bred lion hunting industry, commonly known as "canned" lion-hunting, recently came under fire from a host of reputable international and African hunting organisations.

The list includes prominent American hunting institution, Dallas Safari Club, which earlier this month issued a scathing statement denouncing captive bred lion hunts.

WOW! That is some horrific news. For a minute there I thought he was killed by a lion.

Currently there is quite a few ripples in the pond, I am fairly sure that this incident will amplify quite a few of those ripples - no matter how big of an hunting accident it might have been.

This re-emphasizes the importance of firearm safety- and just how difficult (and important) it can be to remain focused when things start turning south.

A tragic event indeed.

I hunted this property last year. My prayers go out to the family of the deceased as well as the camp manager and PH.

Very sad. This is just terrible for all involved.

SAFETY FIRST! This is sad to hear.

Very sad and unfortunate incident . If we look at the article we realise the loss of life is not even featured in this piece. Simon Bloch again shines with his verbal diarrhea .... He once again makes this a CBL issur instead of focussing on the tragic loss of life ..... just imagine what this article would be should this gave happened hunting a Kudu or Springbuck or a accidental discharge on a range !

I heard rumors of this, it will be interesting to hear how it comes out. But suffice it say I am not a fan of large entourages on hunt with everyone carrying a gun.

Prayers for the lost man and his family.... And the accidental shooter.

Sad news, my condolences to the family!

Very sad. My condolences to the family and loved ones.

Prayers....

The replies to this on social media are truly barbaric.

Very sad result for everyone involved.
My condolences to the family and friends.

Very sad incident. Condolences to the family and all involved.

I'll be interested to hear more details of the incident- was the lion involved? Was it an accidental discharge? Was it the PH or a client? Many unanswered questions.

Thoughts and prayers to the family.

R. I. P and prayer to the family.

I think we all knew that the other side was going to have a field day with this sad tragedy in the media. They like a bunch of vultures ready to pounce on any accident that happens in the hunting industry.

Police investigating illegal firearms and ammo, is that to give the article more sensation?

I hope if the hunt was filmed, it's not going to fall into the wrong hands.

would like to see more news from this, very little info

Years ago, a very experienced PH told me that on a lion hunt, he only wanted the hunter and a PH on each side of him.

Any additional gun could cause a problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123winmarketing

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross