CROATIA Hunting Informations

Discussion in 'Hunting Europe' started by mark-hunter, Aug 3, 2019.

1. sierraone

sierraone AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
    We were not allowed to be involved in any hunting. I'm not even sure that the locals did so legally, but they did. From your description the area I would have been in was Belje. It was on the Serbian/Croatian border along the Dunav River. (Danube in English). The big stags were common there and could easily be seen when driving down the levy at night.

mark-hunter likes this.

2. mark-hunter

mark-hunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia - Kalahari, Namibia - Khomas highland
    Yes, then, it is Belje.
    It is area best known for strongest trophy of red stag. Best gene pool in entire former Ygoslavia! And in his time Tito had best deer management professionals employed there.

Now the area is split between hunting areas in Croatia and Serbia, and absolutely legally huntable!

3. JPbowhunter

JPbowhunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Very informative and some interesting customs. Thank you for sharing.

4. perttime

perttime AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    I spent a bit over half a year in the Vukovar - Osijek - Vinkovci triangle in 1997. The main impression there was wide open farmland, with big and small villages. I recall a drive through some dense forest somewhere south of Vinkovci.

5. mark-hunter

mark-hunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Of course!
    There are patches of forests, where Slavonian Oak - Hrast Luznjak, (Quercus robur) prevails.
    Oak gives good supply of acorn for boars and stag to prepare for winter, and collect last fat before the snow. Forest gives protection from predators.

Wast agricultural plains, for corn and wheat, gives additional food supply in summer, before harvests in the fall, when young and fawns collect their strenght.

Finally there is wast wet lands area, resting ground of many migratory bird species, and and habitat for many indigenous species.

This wetlands is partially protected area under designation of nature park, but huntable. Here is the link:
    https://pp-kopacki-rit.hr/?lang=en

So human agricultural activities, natural resources of forest areas, plus wet lands and swamps give perfect conditions for big, small and feather game to thrive. This is actually the richest game populated part of country.

For hunter - it is land of plenty!

A bit more to the west, there is hunting grounds "Garjevica", which CIC commision declared the best hunting area in the World in 2000.
    this is local news on the link (croatian language) but translation I will make below:
    http://www.agrokor.hr/hr/vijesti/agrokorovo-loviste-najbolje-u-svijetu-u-2000-godini/

Translation:
    The Garjevica State Hunting Ground, which is in the concession of Agrokor, was awarded the "Edmond Blanc" annual award for the best managed hunting ground in the world in 2000 by the International Union for Hunting and Conservation of Game (CIC). Last year's Best Hunting Achievement Award was presented to the President of the Board of Agrokor Ivica Todoric at the end of the annual CIC Assembly, which was held in Slovenian Portorož from May 1-5, 2001. As a leading international organization that brings together hunting associations, individuals, representatives of national bodies responsible for hunting and scientists from 80 countries, CIC pays particular attention to nature protection and in its work closely cooperates with the International Association for the Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources. Therefore, special consideration is given to respecting the high environmental standards and resolutions of the Association for the Conservation of Nature when awarding the World's Best Hunting Ground. The Garjevica Hunting Ground, where Agrokor has been a concessionaire since 1992, has 15,000 ha of hunting area where red deer, wild boar, roe deer, mouflon and other small game are grown.

6. Sika98k

Sika98k AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Wild Deer Association of Ireland
    Hunted:
    Kenya,Namibia, Morocco Ireland,Scotland,Denmark, Romania, Sweden,Norway,Latvia,Germany,Hungary,
    I’m heading to Croatia January next year for a driven boar hunt. Friends organise it with a hunting club. Very well priced when you cut out the agents who,frankly, just mark it up.

7. mark-hunter

mark-hunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    I hope you will have great time! Let us know how was it.

8. HuntingGold

HuntingGold AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa, United States (Oregon, Washington, Idaho, California and Wyoming)
    My wife wishes to visit Croatia next year (2020), likely in late May or June. I am looking forward to seeing the country.

9. mark-hunter

mark-hunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    @HuntingGold
    It is nice to hear!
    Do the research, make plan, and enjoy the trip!

Keep in mind, in case you have hunting in a mind: in Croatia something can be legally hunted 12 months per year, hunting season is officially closed from 01st match till 15th April (when roe deer season opens).
    In idle months, boars, fox, jackals, pheasants released from pen can be hunted only.

10. HuntingGold

HuntingGold AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa, United States (Oregon, Washington, Idaho, California and Wyoming)
    What species do you recommend for late May or early June?
    Is there a guide or outfitter you would recommend for a one or two day hunt?
    Thanks

11. mark-hunter

mark-hunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    I must say, that you have chosen your timing well!
    First, may / june is the time when sea is warm enough for swimming, and tourist season has not picked up yet!
    (Peak of tourist season is between 15th july to 15th Aug)

So you will avoid all the crowd!

In may / june - it is actually my favorite hunt for Roe buck. If winter is a bit longer, then May and early June should still have low grass in the fields, which make roe visible in the distance. (once the grass is high, roe will be hard to find)

So I can wholeheartedly recommend hunting Roe buck by stalking.... stalking is my favourite hunt, but roe can be hunted from high stand as well.
    Also, a boar can be hunted as well at that time. However, in may, june - boar is also hunted by stalking or from stand - because big driven hunts will start only in fall or winter.

For the rest, will drop you pm!