Critique my rifle choice (s)? Looking for experienced advice?

It's actually all quite simple. You sound like an intelligent fellow who just needs a little friendly, albeit persuasive, guidance from a seasoned professional. No charges involved. Join an exclusive club. Do the Full Monty. Get yourself a Brno ZKK, CZ550 or Mauser action and build yourself a .404 Jeffery. Sorted. Enjoy the build. Send me photographs.
:biggrin2:

Yup give away!!! I agree with you though, I might add that a 460 could work very well! :)

My best always!!

Ps as you can see we are very open minded and not biased at all!!! :) :) :)

Sorry not a 469!!!

Last edited:
Yup give away!!! I agree with you though, I might add that a 469 could work very well! :)

My best always!!

469?

Yup give away!!! I agree with you though, I might add that a 460 could work very well! :)

My best always!!

Sorry not a 469!!!

Personally I am no fan of the 460 Weatherby.
It is the only cartridge of the ones I have shot that I have found really uncomfortable to shoot.

The main reason for that might be stocks without good fit for me on the 2 I have shot a bit.

Personally I am no fan of the 460 Weatherby.
It is the only cartridge of the ones I have shot that I have found really uncomfortable to shoot.

The main reason for that might be stocks without good fit for me on the 2 I have shot a bit.

;) :) I love mine, it could very well be stock and fit issues.. :)

My best always

I agree with Jaco, I love my .460WBY

Have to agree with both Jaco and Big5....love mine only complaint is the brass life for reloading I get is 3 rounds before I see splits on the shoulder...could just me me...not sure

or the fact that you are a great big :monkey: might help as well :laughing::tongue::beer:

Spike, I thought it was the same for everyone.. :)....don't you think it's mostly stock design and fit though?
:) ;)

My best always

My impression is that body size doesn't matter much when it comes to handling recoil.
Once on a shooting range I saw a small lady shoot her .500 Nitro much better than most men are able to.

I find that recoil is much better to handle if you have a gun that fits you perfectly with good stock fit and balance.
One day I might get myself a .460 with perfect fit, but that will not happen as long as we have the 6 hunting gun limit in my country...

Spike, I thought it was the same for everyone.. :)....don't you think it's mostly stock design and fit though?
:) ;)

My best always

jaco couldnt resist ;) yup stock design and correct fit are very important to reducing felt recoil. my ruger that was converted to .458lott from .375h+h weighs a bit more than my other .458lott but felt recoil is more. as norwegianwoods says i had a woman shoot my lighter .458lott when we were in a luangwa gma and she hadnt ever shot a rifle before but didnt find it a problem, and wanted to shoot it again. i think people with lighter/slender physiques can find the bigbores easier as they dont have so much resistance and move with the recoil, as opposed to more substantial persons who dont move so much and absorb more of the recoil.

I don't have dental insurance so I will let you guys fight over the 460 Weatherby!

I don't have dental insurance so I will let you guys fight over the 460 Weatherby!

I have dental insurance but I'm still with you. I had a .416 Rigby and I could manage it, but that didn't mean I liked it. 10 shots was about my limit on any given day. The .460 Wby holds even more powder with a similar weighted bullet, so no thanks.

I'm always curious to know what the definition is of proper stock fit. I see the comment made frequently about proper stock fit and felt recoil. I don't doubt it's important, but I honestly don't know what that is. Is it length of pull? Or is there more to it than that?

I find the length of pull to be the most important, but also the shape of the stock and how it transfers the recoil energy straight back and evenly distributes it to your shoulder.
Some stocks are shaped so you get smacked in the face and also transfers most of the recoil energy to an area of your shoulder smaller than the size of the recoil pad.
The worst ones I have shot with, hit you with 1/4 of the recoil pad area at the most and maybe smack you in the face as a bonus.

I have altered that stock length and shape for some people and it has greatly improved their shooting and ability to handle the recoil.

I'm always curious to know what the definition is of proper stock fit. I see the comment made frequently about proper stock fit and felt recoil. I don't doubt it's important, but I honestly don't know what that is. Is it length of pull? Or is there more to it than that?

phil its length of pull, drop and area of the butt, all will make a difference. the worst i would say are when you have too much drop in the stock and a narrow butt, as was common in older rifles. i think the best type are what are on my rigbys built by paul roberts when he owned rigbys and the same style as used by rigbys in london now. take a look on their website HOME. my lighter .458lott was built by larry amrine in ojai california and i sent him outline drawings of the stock on my .300win that paul restocked for me (it kicked like a pig before he restocked it in their style) it weighs a tad over 9ibs and its fine to shoot.

I find the length of pull to be the most important, but also the shape of the stock and how it transfers the recoil energy straight back and evenly distributes it to your shoulder.
Some stocks are shaped so you get smacked in the face and also transfers most of the recoil energy to an area of your shoulder smaller than the size of the recoil pad.
The worst ones I have shot with, hit you with 1/4 of the recoil pad area at the most and maybe smack you in the face as a bonus.

I have altered that stock length and shape for some people and it has greatly improved their shooting and ability to handle the recoil.

phil its length of pull, drop and area of the butt, all will make a difference. the worst i would say are when you have too much drop in the stock and a narrow butt, as was common in older rifles. i think the best type are what are on my rigbys built by paul roberts when he owned rigbys and the same style as used by rigbys in london now. take a look on their website HOME. my lighter .458lott was built by larry amrine in ojai california and i sent him outline drawings of the stock on my .300win that paul restocked for me (it kicked like a pig before he restocked it in their style) it weighs a tad over 9ibs and its fine to shoot.

Good info gents, but I'm still not sure how I'd apply it. This may explain my propensity for Winchesters, the stocks may fit me better than others, don't know.

No doubt about in my mind that if the recoil is focused on a concentrated spot on the butt it will hurt more. I'm always careful when bench shooting to take time to ensure the stock is squared against my shoulder.

phil when you are at DSC or SCI next year go see guillaume or one of the others at verney-carron and they will measure you and give you the correct length, drop etc for you, and you dont even have to buy a rifle if you dont want to ;). they were with jerome at the AH drinks at SCI .

Phil, yes, different brands tend to have different stock designs and some fit better than others for different shooters.

But no matter the stock design, I see lots of people, specially small framed people, have stocks that tend to be to long for them.
This also often result in the famous half moon kiss as people need to lean forward with their head to be able to aim properly when using a scope.
To long length of pull also often give more felt recoil and maybe a slap in the face too.

With a perfectly fitted stock, you will much easier and more automatically have the same shooting position and recoil handling all the time, resulting in faster shooting, better accuracy and you will have less felt recoil.
It is well worth the work or money to get a stock that fits well if a factory one doesn't.

One day I might get myself a .460 with perfect fit, but that will not happen as long as we have the 6 hunting gun limit in my country...

We've had this discussion.

You will simply have to make this one of your target rifles. :huntingrifle:

Phil, yes, different brands tend to have different stock designs and some fit better than others for different shooters.

But no matter the stock design, I see lots of people, specially small framed people, have stocks that tend to be to long for them.
This also often result in the famous half moon kiss as people need to lean forward with their head to be able to aim properly when using a scope.
To long length of pull also often give more felt recoil and maybe a slap in the face too.

With a perfectly fitted stock, you will much easier and more automatically have the same shooting position and recoil handling all the time, resulting in faster shooting, better accuracy and you will have less felt recoil.
It is well worth the work or money to get a stock that fits well if a factory one doesn't.

Yes I am height challenged and not especially long arms. All of the scopes on my rifles are set with forward bell not far from the edge of the ring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg