Credit Card Fraud

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by BWH, Jun 17, 2014.

1. BWH

BWH AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Ducks Unlimited, Texas Trophy Hunters, Trout Unlimited, DSC & NRA
    Hunted:
    USA & RSA
    Hey guys,

Just an FYI.... I'm not back 2 weeks from my safari, and I just found fraudulent transactions on my CC. It's all good, we turned it over to fraud dept. However, it is all for "electronics, laptops, etc.". From online retailers like Buy.com, antonline.com, In, etc..... about 4 purchases all about $700 each.

I only used my CC 2x while I was traveling. 1) South Africa Air to pay for bag fee for ammo at Jo'berg 2) Buy a souvenir for kid at Jo'berg.

Careful when travelling. Watch your cards/accounts when you get back.

AfricaHunting.com likes this.
  2. Areaonereal

Areaonereal AH Veteran

Had it happen to me three times.. Your card could have been compromised in the USA. Mexican restaurants, car washes, are prime suspects. Inconvenient but you have no liability.

3. bluey

bluey AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    ssaa, aba ,bairnsdale field archers SFP
    Hunted:
    australia south africa (limpopo, north west,eastcape) canada (b.c)zambia
    now that makes me worry ,my dearest most expensive ,loves her card....

4. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR GOLD BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico
    We also have a legal liability limit in Canada. $50.00 (if you did not authorize it or do something negligent.)
    Still a good idea to keep an eye out. Being overseas and having the card cancelled due to fraud will not leave you in a good spot.

5. Red Leg

Red Leg GOLD SUPPORTER AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Life & Benefactor
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US
    Had a guy electronically scan my card while I was using an ATM in Omaruru, Namibia - very slick. Got suspicious because he had gotten inside my space so I called my bank and had them put a hold on the card. Four hours later they tried several times to use it in Walvis Bay.

6. BRICKBURN

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    How did the guy scan your card?

7. Red Leg

Red Leg GOLD SUPPORTER AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Life & Benefactor
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  8. BRICKBURN

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Thanks for that Red Leg. Informative read.

Using an ATM in Otavi I was surrounded by the PH and a guard.
    I figured out I was being guarded. It was only against the old school snatch and dash kind of robber.

9. spike.t

spike.t SPONSOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci int, basc,wpaz
    Hunted:
    zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe, hungary, france, england
    watched a documentary on how easy it is for them to scan your credit cards and the new type passports with all the chips and crap on them. it doesnt matter whether its in your pocket, wallet or handbag it only takes seconds and you havent a clue they are doing it. you can get c/card holders and wallets/purses that have barrier material in them to stop the scanners from being able to "lift" all your info.

10. gillettehunter

gillettehunter AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(2) New Zealand
    Had that happen to me in Denver a year ago. Now my wallet has the barrier to prevent its being done. Of course doesn't do a thing for you when you remove it from your wallet..... bruce

11. James.Grage

James.Grage AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, ATA, PITA, NAHC, NAFC, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF
    Hunted:
    USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe
    When traveling :)

Activate your Cell Phone for the countries you will be traveling in. And make sure you are able to send and receive calls and messages. My international phone has worked great for this kind of travel. I have my cell phone company send me the dialing directions and have many numbers on my chip programed for international calls. I am allowed 50 phone numbers on this option. so i put the following on the international chip: cc company, home alarm service, PH, travel company hot line number, airline, home, neighbor, children, friends.

Then The First thing i do is, i contact my credit card company to let them know where i am going.
    If i do not make this call my credit card is turned off (deactivated) after i am about 500 miles from my home and then they try to call me on my cell phone and home phone trying to see who is using the card.
    Second thing we go over is what purchases i may make. We have a check list.
    Like ~ electronics ~ Jewelery ~ Camera mostly large ticket items and if i intend to purchase any of them. Answer is always NO.
    Now if i decide to purchase one of the above items, i call the CC company and provide the store name and cost for them to approve.

I have had my credit card number lifted co many times we needed to do something. The card slots, protective sleeves may work, however i do not know, i know when you hand your card to someone and you are not watching it, the information can or could be borrowed.

While traveling out of the country, I do the above also. However i also let them know where i intend to use the card. My card has 24 hour answering service and a phone call is close by.

ArmyGrunt likes this.
  12. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    Solid plan James!

13. ArmyGrunt

ArmyGrunt AH Fanatic

Hunted:
    USA, South Africa
    where do we find the sleeves for a wallet? When I got my new ID card from the military they gave me one that will fit one card. I suppose that would be sufficient for the upcoming journey, as i don't plan to take too much Plastic Cash with me. Much easier to monitor only one card, I suppose. And I probably don't need to take the mil ID either.

14. jduckhunter

jduckhunter AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DU, JSA, NAHC( Life member), NRA (Life member)
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe, USA (PA ,WY,TX,MT,AK,NJ,DE,VA,WV,SD,MA,NC,FL,MD) Canada (QC,NF,ON,NT,NWT,BC), New Zealand
    I always take at least two credit cards with me. I had the unpleasant surprise years ago of finding out that my card had been compromised and my account shut down. That left me in NWT without a card and at the mercy of my hunting companions, they treated me very well but it was still unsettling.

15. ArmyGrunt

ArmyGrunt AH Fanatic

Hunted:
    USA, South Africa
    and this is why I love these forums! all the experience and advice flowing all the time. Thanks for the suggestion. Soundls like I'll take both my cards instead.

16. James.Grage

James.Grage AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, ATA, PITA, NAHC, NAFC, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF
    Hunted:
    USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe
    I obtained mine at REI for credit cards and passport. I have used them for years, however my cc number still has been borrowed. That is why i indicated i am not sure if they work or not. I have been told not to let your card out of your sight while traveling.

Something i have also learned, is that you can deactivate a cc, however the magnetic strip is still usable for checking in at the airline counter to pull up your travel itinerary.

17. CAustin

CAustin BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    The dishonest people will always find a way to get you!

18. tiss kocovsky

tiss kocovsky AH Member

Member of:
    SCI, WWA
    So I guess I will take cash or traveler's checks. Is that better?

19. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    Not really, travelers checks are being used less and in some countries useless. Plan on wiring money.

20. rphguy

rphguy AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    I'm heading back this year to hunt in South AFrica. I learned in 2013 that traveler's checks were not being accepted in most african countries.
    Since I am landing in JB, then going to Zim, then back to JB and on to Port Elizabeth, before the hunt actually begins, I don't want to carry much cash this
    year. So I've sent about $10,800 over by wire. I am carrying around $2500.
    I wired my deposit for my trip back in February. I just wired most of the remainder, including the trophy fees for all my animals I plan to take along with
    the money to pay for the Vic Falls trip my outfitter booked for me.
    Of course, our kill list will almost assuredly not be exactly what we booked for, I hope it's more. lol. We'll settle the difference either way on the last day
    with the cash I bring. If I go crazy and run up my bill too much, I'll use a credit card for the remainder or wire it when I get back home.
    But, Doing it this way, you must trust the PH you are using. Marius, KMG, is my PH and I'm 100% sure that he is trustworthy.

The other choice would have been to use a credit card, but cards cost you about 4% more or less. On 10K, that's an impala.