Crazy "Gun Case" question related to travel to JNB

I've used my tuffpak on 4 trip to Africa with delta. No problem with 2 scoped rifles plus extra gear staying under delta weight limit of 75 lbs. I think the problem is delta and US carriers allow 2 bags x 75, but foreign carrier limit weight to 50lbs per bag. When changing planes in JBERG African airlines upcharge for over 50 lbs.

What route are you taking with United? They have some quirky guns rules too depending on the route.

United ticket, flights operated by Lufthansa.
ORD to FRA
and
FRA to JNB

Return trip is just the opposite.

Will be looking at switching to the ORD > EWR > JNB when they release for sale.
No connection in Europe, nonstop from EWR
I looked at current pricing for the EWR nonstop to Cape Town and the pricing looks to be similar.

United doesn't have a flat rate fee for transporting firearms, but it does say that it needs to be under the 62 total linear inches.

Over-sized and overweight baggage incurs a $200 fee.

Lufthansa wanted a 50 EUR handling fee at Johannesburg, is that an "Airport" thing that is applied to all airlines? I didn't have that my last trip, but that was sadly in 2016.

Built 2 custom cases based on 1615 Pellcan cases with custom laser cut 2 layer liners!
One holds Blaser Luxes and 2 barrels with scopes and a Heym double rifle, weight is 53# remove one scope (to carry on) and its right at 49.8#. Second case is for Dakota Traveler in 416 Rigby/338 Lapua
with 2 scoped and Heym double rifle at 64# both cases under the magic size! Business class or first class no weight charge! Bonus is the cases don't look like a gun case! One bright yellow and one ugly green! Have a spare that can be used with no interior for checked cloths etc! Total cost for all 3 is less than above quote.

I can't wait for Delta to start flying to JNB. I've flow with multiple guns and cases and had not trouble at all. One ticket did state the case could not weight over 50 pounds. I even used a harbor freight long gun case. It's made 2 round trip flights so far. My best case is a Pelican but it weighs 23 pounds itself.

I flew Emirates when I hunted Namibia in 2016 and they were amazing with how they handled my rifle and ammunition. In fact, the agent at Emirates in Seattle was more helpful and insightful than the customs agent that double checked my paperwork.
I'll definitely be flying Emirates again in August 2020 when I head off on my next hunt in SA.

@Surgeon1 Please post pictures of your case! I’m curious to see what configurations others use. I would like to get a smaller case for international travel.

The photo attached is a pelican storm 3300 case. I put 4 barrels and 3 scopes, bipod, and extra magazines and bolt faces in the case. Total weight is around 45 lbs, which makes for easy travel inside the USA. Why 4 barrels? Redundancy. More fun. A chance to test gear at a range shoot in a different state/altitude. Most important: the .22 LR barrel! If you tag out early, small game is fun!

CC69B74D-DB79-418B-8972-2278333348D0.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
My SKB i series 2 gun case is 53.25 long x 17.0 wide by 7.0 high = 77.25. I fly Jet Blue Reno to JFK and SAA to JNB and PE and have never been weighed or charged for oversize on 3 trips. With a scoped 375HH at 11 lbs and a scoped 7RM at 9.5 lbs it weighs right at 48 lbs. I like to stay at least 1 lb under the max in case their scales are a little different than mine which I have encountered on occasion with some airlines.

Has anyone transported more than one rifle in a case via Lufthansa or do they adhere to their baggage policy as it is written. One gun per case and ammunition separate. United cancelled flights to JNB until after June 3 and is offering the Lufthansa option.

Has anyone transported more than one rifle in a case via Lufthansa or do they adhere to their baggage policy as it is written. One gun per case and ammunition separate. United cancelled flights to JNB until after June 3 and is offering the Lufthansa option.
I did but it was in 2013. Gracy Travel took care of all the paperwork, Joburg to Frankfurt on Lufthansa.

I did but it was in 2013. Gracy Travel took care of all the paperwork, Joburg to Frankfurt on Lufthansa.
Thanks, could be a newer restriction. All Lufthansa could do was read from their website.

SKB makes a 4-rifle case that I often place 1 in each side for ultimate protection. (In order to view the other rifle hidden below, you must know to flip the case over and open it upside-down. It should be called the Agent 004 model!) They typically only open 1 side on the other side of the pond! :p

I was able to get United to route me though Zurich with Swiss down to JNB so don't need to deal with Frankfurt. Return out of JNB on United so it will be an easy connect from the Falls. As long as United does not cancel any deeper into June I'm set for my routing and the family gets to come over later on one of the first flights United will have into JNB.

Would have preferred Emirates in and out of Harare, however could not pass up the deal United had for 8 people. Use the savings to charter in an out of camp and avoid a great deal of hassle. If they postpone service again then will suck it up and pay the Emirates fares.

Thanks for the input.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MattieHayw

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,