Crate arrived, cleaning up overboiled skulls

Tim1990

Reaction score
Media
Hey together,

Yesterday was the happy day on which my crate arrived from last years hunt.

Sadly the skulls are a bit overboiled, but still at some parts greasy.

I want to clean them a bit more, but I haven’t decided yet what to do.

I do lots of European mounts (with beetles) and also build skeletons.

Normally I degrease them with dawn over month in 40-50 degree (Celsius) warm water.

But since these skulls starting to get a bit brittle I don’t know if I may better do a really slight simmering. My guess is, that the already a bit damaged bone could get more fragile if it gets soaked for several weeks.

Has anyone done that before and could tell me what method they would prefer?

I can upload some more pictures this evening to show the real condition.
On the pictures they don’t Look that Bad I think :)

IMG_2439.JPG
IMG_2452.JPG
IMG_2448.JPG
IMG_2454.JPG
495c56b0-5c17-4142-8fa0-ab363c4a72a7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridgewalker

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
Over boiling is a very common problem I have seen by every taxidermist I have used in RSA. Frustrating even though I state “ do not over boil” and ”do not paint the horns”!
Awaiting my next delivery from a different taxidermist to see how he does.

Beetles are definitely the way to go IMO!

fish hunter

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Actually your skulls look pretty good. Nothing is busted and all the nose bones are in place. It could have been much worse. Usually something is damaged that requires extensive repair.

Tim1990

Reaction score
Media
Actually your skulls look pretty good. Nothing is busted and all the nose bones are in place. It could have been much worse. Usually something is damaged that requires extensive repair.

Yes, I was afraid of a much worse condition. Especially if broken/missing nose bones.

Today I cleaned them already a bit with soaking them in enzymes and dawn in hot water (about 70 degrees Celsius)

Randy F

Silver supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
US and South Africa
I've seen much worse.
Congratulations an the crate arrival!

Exciting when it gets there isn't it?
The danger with opening it up is when you breathe in that first shot of air out of the crate, it infects your brain with an incontrollable desire to go back to Africa.

Tim1990

Reaction score
Media
I've seen much worse.
Congratulations an the crate arrival!

Exciting when it gets there isn't it?
The danger with opening it up is when you breathe in that first shot of air out of the crate, it infects your brain with an incontrollable desire to go back to Africa.

Yes the last weeks waiting were for me like a small child waiting for Christmas
Hopefully the situation with corona gets better soon, so I can take my next trip this year

Sarg

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
New Zealand - Australia - Sumatra - Kenya - Zimbabwe - Namibia - South Africa - Botswana - Alaska - Nevada - Hokkaido - Greenland - New Caledonia
Hell I hate over boiled skulls, more so on horned skulls !

Just no need & is just laziness on the workers/taxidermist part, quite a problem on Buffalo & Wildebeest as the horns stay on the skull I know !

I work in Africa so I can watch them a bit, I dropped off a Eland Bull head of mine to the local taxidermist as I didn't have time to do it myself, told the owner 10 times don't over boil it don't over boil it & all the problems I have had & seen before, he assured me "they" never have such problems as his head guy was the best & he himself watched them & it would be done by Friday when I dropped my hunters off (this was on the way to pick them up) well a month later I walk in the back & ten Eland in a line & I could see mine out off them & it was falling apart from being over boiled !

Big fight I'm on the unreasonable client list & can't take any thing in there now lol !

It was part of my job when I ran camps & when the skull left my camp you could put them on the wall, clean & white as !!

Not like that when the got to town two days drive away over out back roads or the main shipper a week -10 days away !

buck wild

Silver supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI Brush Country Chapter
Hunted
Kalahari; Limpopo; Mexico; Texas

I though the danger was inhaling enough moth ball fumes to pickle your brain :)

buck wild

Silver supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI Brush Country Chapter
Hunted
Kalahari; Limpopo; Mexico; Texas
It sounds like you have decent understanding of dealing with skulls from your previous work on them. You might try soaking in acetone. I have seen that do a good job with degreasing that shouldn't compromise the bone any more than already damaged. I would also try to bring a pot of water to a rolling boil, add a cup of 40% hydrogen peroxide. Submerge skulls (remove horns) and reduce heat for 15-20 minutes, rinse skulls. This should also remove additional grease and whiten. The heating the peroxide is the trick. It doesn't take long for it to work.

Randy F

Silver supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
US and South Africa
I though the danger was inhaling enough moth ball fumes to pickle your brain :)
Hah!! There is that.

As my wife likes to say "That explains a few things".

MarkB

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Member of
NFA, SCI, DU, NA Hunter, BCWF, African Gazete
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SA, Namibia, BC, AB, Ont
I agree those look to be in very good shape, things others have said plus does not look like you need to stain, paint or finish the bottom 6" of every horn. I remember an ant bear skull that was like doing a jigsaw puzzle.

I envy you, you are doing a task I very much enjoy while I keep getting delayed.

MB

fourfive8

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana
I'll jump in too and observe they look pretty good compared to many I've seen. Maybe light simmer in peroxide for a while then rinse well... just have to judge best course of action.

Also, while beetles are the bee's knees for cleaning bones, most taxidermists are deathly afraid of them because they also attack hides... :)

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
Spent some time gluing nose bones back in place myself a few times. Oh well. Yours look pretty good overall.
Congrats!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MargaretFr

Latest profile posts

degoins wrote on Treemantwo's profile.
I have a like new VC .450 I might part with. I had it built in 2013 and it has served me well. Also have a VC fitted leather trunk case for it along with the plastic case it came with. I'll take 14000 for all of it.
Matt W wrote on Jody's profile.
Hi Jody,
I have been looking for ideas on the best way to display my European mounts from Africa. I came across some of your shield work and was wondering if you would be willing to make one for me? If so, please let me know the cost. I like the shield with the two spears that you built for a member years ago. Thanks.
cal pappas wrote on Mnelson2's profile.
Nelson. Is this message a PM format. I want to send you my email, but don't know if this is the cirrect way to do it. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net> Send me an email with your phone and I will call you about a skull I have. I went to school in Boston and am from Bernardston in the west part of the state. Moved to Alaska in 1984 adn never looked back.
BeeMaa wrote on Justbryan's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. He was a pleasure to do business with.
BeeMaa wrote on 375Fox's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. Was a pleasure to do business with.