Crate arrived...Christmas in January!

oahufish

AH senior member
Reaction score
Crate from Karoo Taxidermy just arrived from my trip to Huntershill this past April 2022.
Total cost of Taxidermy work for 3 Pedestal Mounts, 3 Euro Mounts, 3 full skins and 2 backskins $5000.
Total cost of shipping $3850 from South Africa to Oahu, HI. Included $2250 Badger Cargo for air freight on Turkish to Seattle, $1000 Coppersmith Seattle for clearing and one storage day and $600 to DHX for sea cargo from Seattle to Hawaii.

Badger Cargo and Coppersmith we both did a great job, communicated well and were great to work with.
My shipment through DHX was delayed one week, because their driver went to the wrong address to pick up my crate from Coppersmith warehouse. He was given the correct address, located 1 mile away, but instead went back to DHX and told them "it was already picked up". The crate had to be in received that day, to go out on the weekly sailing.

Karoo Taxidermy could do a better job responding to emails and communicating. I told them I didn't quite understand their chart for head position of mounts, and sent them pics of exactly what I wanted. The Kudu pic was even directly from their webpage. The Gemsbock and Kudu mounts were not the same positioning as what I'd sent in the pics, and different than I wanted.
Would have been helpful if they'd made final communication with me before stating work to make sure it was correct and then send out pics of final product before crating. Anyway, I'm still happy with the actual work and not much I can do to change it now!

IMG_3957.jpg
IMG_3959.jpg
IMG_3962.jpg
IMG_3967.jpg
IMG_3968.jpg
IMG_3992.jpg
IMG_3971.jpg
IMG_3979.jpg
IMG_3987.jpg
IMG_3993.jpg
IMG_3988.jpg
IMG_3990.jpg
IMG_3995.jpg
IMG_3986.jpg
IMG_4003.jpg
IMG_4003.jpg

The logistics getting your trophies to Hawaii are kind boggling! The work looks to be well done (sorry the positions were not exactly what you were hoping for)- the curls on that kudu are wonderful-congratulations on Christmas in January

Without knowing there was anything amiss I would have thought this work great, especially the kudu. Just be happy and enjoy it. That zebra is one of the most symmetrical I have ever seen, well done.

Congratulations on getting your trophies home. Sorry to hear you're not happy with positions, I do like the kudu wall pedestal though.

Some nice looking trophies. Congrats on a great safari and the taxidermy that will bring those memories back again and again. Well done.

Crate from Karoo Taxidermy just arrived from my trip to Huntershill this past April 2022.
Total cost of Taxidermy work for 3 Pedestal Mounts, 3 Euro Mounts, 3 full skins and 2 backskins $5000.
Total cost of shipping $3850 from South Africa to Oahu, HI. Included $2250 Badger Cargo for air freight on Turkish to Seattle, $1000 Coppersmith Seattle for clearing and one storage day and $600 to DHX for sea cargo from Seattle to Hawaii.

Badger Cargo and Coppersmith we both did a great job, communicated well and were great to work with.
My shipment through DHX was delayed one week, because their driver went to the wrong address to pick up my crate from Coppersmith warehouse. He was given the correct address, located 1 mile away, but instead went back to DHX and told them "it was already picked up". The crate had to be in received that day, to go out on the weekly sailing.

Karoo Taxidermy could do a better job responding to emails and communicating. I told them I didn't quite understand their chart for head position of mounts, and sent them pics of exactly what I wanted. The Kudu pic was even directly from their webpage. The Gemsbock and Kudu mounts were not the same positioning as what I'd sent in the pics, and different than I wanted.
Would have been helpful if they'd made final communication with me before stating work to make sure it was correct and then send out pics of final product before crating. Anyway, I'm still happy with the actual work and not much I can do to change it now!

View attachment 509830View attachment 509836View attachment 509842View attachment 509844View attachment 509845View attachment 509846View attachment 509847View attachment 509848View attachment 509849View attachment 509850View attachment 509851View attachment 509852View attachment 509853View attachment 509854View attachment 509857View attachment 509858
Wonderful and beautiful! Congratulations!

The logistics getting your trophies to Hawaii are kind boggling! The work looks to be well done (sorry the positions were not exactly what you were hoping for)- the curls on that kudu are wonderful-congratulations on Christmas in January

Thanks
I had my shipment go to Seattle, which cost a few bucks more on the flight, but I think I saved quite a bit in storage fees vs flying it to California. I’ve read horror stories recently of folks crates sitting in LAX or SFO for a week while they get cleared. I was even told to expect this from a customs broker in LA.
Jennifer from Coppersmith in SEA was able to actually remove my crate from Turkish storage with in one day and to their facility at SeaTac and complete the clearance with no extra charges! Not quite sure why they can’t do that in CA.
I wouldn’t recommend anyone on West Coast to go through CA!

Without knowing there was anything amiss I would have thought this work great, especially the kudu. Just be happy and enjoy it. That zebra is one of the most symmetrical I have ever seen, well done.

Yes, I’m generally happy with the work and love most everything. It’s mainly the Gemsbock that wasn’t quit what I had envisioned.
Here’s a pic I sent them as an example.
The pedestal I made myself.
IMG_3637.JPG

That carved skull is freakin awesome! Where was that done? I’m a little jealous right now

Holy cow, they made it.
Glad they are finally on your wall.
Taxidermists failing to communicate is a big PIA.

@oahufish you know you can tweak the angle of your Gemsbok and get it very close to your reference photo. You may need to add some fake vegetation to hide the bend, but it's very doable and inexpensive.

Nobody is going to look underneath, so it's an easy fix.
I’ll have to look at it again and see. It’s a 3/4 in bolt coming out of the bottom, so I don’t think there’s any bending that.
Maybe I could put it through my pedestal top(3/4in ply) at an angle, and attach a 4x4 support block on the underside to stabilize it.

Congratulations, they look really good! I hear you on the poses, in my last shipment out of 5 mounts only 1 even came close to the pictures I sent for the mounts and on that one I wanted the turn reversed and it wasn’t. I just had to rethink where I was going to put them as the actual taxidermy was good. Looks like you have plenty of wall space for more mounts. Any plans on going back? Congratulations again and enjoy your wonderful trophies and memories!

That carved skull is incredible. Usually wouldnt go for something like that but this turned out excellent!

Your animals look great. Sorry the poses weren’t as asked for but they really are beautiful. That Kudu is a stud and I love the Wildebeest flat skin. I may have to get another one just so I can do that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win__

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you