Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
US and South Africa
Today my boots were supposed to be on the ground in South Africa for round 2 of African addiction relief so I was kinda cranky today. It turned out to be kind of an interesting day anyway...one that shot my faith in the next generation right in the head only to see it get up and charge again like a warrior dagga boy.

After rolling out of bed this morning pissed off at the world because I was lacing up work boots at home instead of hunting boots on the opposite side of the planet, I began the task of trying to shrug it off. But I knew it wouldn’t be a great day for anyone that pushed any of my buttons today.

As I cruise through the little town near where I live there is a hood up on a car by the curb on a short side street and I can see the frustration on the young man’s face. I turn around and as I’m rolling down my window to offer assistance, the kid interrupts my offer by blurting out “you got jumper cables.”
:Bored:
“Well yes, yes I do, would you like to use them?
I received a sarcastic “well yeah” complete with a roll of the eyes.
Oh boy. This kid has no idea who he’s dealing with today.

Ok, I can see from 10 feet away as he’s hooking up his end of the cables that the positive cable is way loose. “Pull it off with your hand” loose. But I’m not saying a word now. He burned that bridge.
He jumps in, the car starts, he gets out and removes the cables and walks them to the back of my pickup where I’m waiting to put them in their proper storage spot.
He’s not said a word but just stares at me for a second, drops/throws the cables on my tailgate and starts walking away shaking his head muttering something. Oh oh. I hope he didn’t just say what I think he said.
I closed the tailgate while saying “Excuse me? What did you just say?”
Not quite back to his car yet, y
He turns and says “You heard me, rude old man, not even a thanks.”
I wanted to say “you’re about to die an agonizing prolonged death.”
What I did say, while in disbelief, was “Thank you for what? Wasn’t I the one who turned around to help you out?”
With an ill-meaning “yeah thanks” he informed me of how sick he was of “rude old people” and how rude I was that I didn’t thank him for disconnecting, rolling up, and bringing me my own jumper cables to the back of the truck for me.
WWHHAATT!!??
At this point we are both standing between the front ends of both vehicles and I’m daydreaming of denting the inside of the hood on his piece of crap little city car by slamming his head in it a few times. Instead I closed the hood on my truck, and calmly told him “I’m am in fact 54 years old and I understand why that is very very “old” to you because if you continue to treat people like this you will never make it to that age.”
As he was trying the figure out what I just said with that stupid look on his face I had stealthily moved to the front of his car and slipped the cable off of his battery.
The look on his face was pretty classic as his car again died and I got in my truck and left.
Moron.
He had no idea how close he was to serious injury today.

I’ve worked in the Ag Industry my whole life, more specifically specialty crop production...potatoes, peas, sweet corn, etc...ok farming. In recent years I’ve come to the realization that young people willing the work the hours and start the climb,“whine free” and not entitled to a kings ransom for sweeping the shop, are becoming an ever increasingly rare commodity. I get it. That’s where we are. Reminders shoved in my face today of all days?...not so great.

First on my agenda today was a somewhat unexpected interview with a young man whose elderly father had a week or so earlier asked if we might be looking for anyone to help part-time with harvest. Even though at the time we were nearing the end of harvest, there is always work to do afterwards so of course I was in the market...there’s never enough help.
Well he didn’t mean for him, he meant for his 28 year old son living in his basement whom I would later find out had quit college three months before completing his degree and had never held a job for more than three months since. I really wish I would have had that information beforehand as today was not exactly the day for this little miscreant to plop himself into the chair across from my desk.

He charged through the front door apparently spying the the “general manager” label on my door and barged in without knocking while I was on the phone closing a deal on a contract. He literally plopped in the chair without being invited to sit...or even be there, bypassing the HR door and the farm manager’s door presumably because they were deeply and repulsively beneath him.
Steeeerike one!
He apparently assumed that I and my entire staff not only would know who he was but were gleefully awaiting his arrival. The HR director scampered down the hall to my door so ,with a wink and a nod, I assured her that I was finished with my call and curiosity had me enthralled so I would see what this was all about.
After a couple of minutes of questioning who he might be and what it was we could do for him he had the audacity to say “Well who do think I am? You and my Dad set this up.” The way he said “Dad” oozed contempt so already I know the professional in me is going to be extremely tested by this creepy little ingrate.
The light came on in my cranky brain as to who this person was and why he was here as he sat slouched way down in the chair...still wearing his sunglasses. Hmmm. Be cordial. Be cordial. :E Red Hot:

Asked politely to remove his sunglasses, he burst forth an obnoxious, highly exaggerated sigh and chucked them to the floor.
Steeeerike Two!!
As they clattered across the tile my mind reverted to me flying across my desk and choking the living shit out of this little puke. Reality dictated my desire to keep federal prison off my resume so I bit my tongue.
Obviously he will never be on my payroll but now I’m going to see just how vile this pr*ck is. So believe it or not I thanked him for removing them and told him we were indeed in the market for post harvest employees to assist in clean up and other work and so asked him to describe his work history. You know that part already. I then asked if if he had any questions. Of course the first question was regarding pay rate to which he scoffed and informed me he would need 3 times that amount. The next question was what time were breaks and how long was lunch break. With a sniff he dismissed those as hardly sufficient for a “man” of his abilities.
Ok so I knew these would be the questions but I needed to hear it for whatever morbid reason my melon concocted today so I allowed him to continue to waste both of our time.
His next question was one of hours. I delighted in telling him that for the next four weeks we will yet be working from light to dark Monday through Saturday but only half days on Sunday. Oh no, huh-uh, that just won’t do for someone of his caliber and proceeded to explain to me that “that crazy worthless pushy old man“ of his said this was just a “part time gig”.
Yeah. He went there.
STEEERIKE THREE!!!
In my mind I was thumbing the safely off of my Kimber 1911 in 45 ACP. Good thing it was in the truck.
Instead I slowly rose from behind my desk and walked around it purposefully grinding a pair of sunglasses into cold ceramic tile. I sat on the edge of my desk right in front of him...contemplating. I’m making him nervous. I’m in his space and he’s uncomfortable. Yay!
He knows by my expression that he crossed a line as he’s guessed that I know who his father is. His father is a fine man who has done nothing but work hard and gone nowhere except to work everyday of his life. The only mistake the man ever made was not pulling out on this one.
With extreme restraint I leaned toward him so as to remain unheard in the rest of the office and quietly told him “I’m sorry, we can’t use you. You’ve simply caught me on a bad day because I’m supposed to be in Africa right now firing off a round from my favorite rifle at a trophy animal that no doubt has more brains and ambition than you will ever have. I happen to have that rifle with me today. It’s out in my truck. Want to see it? By the way, how fast can you run? Can you zigzag? I hope I never hear of you bad-mouthing your father again. He’s a great guy.
He was up and heading for the door as I was telling him I’d be right out. Too bad. I wasn’t done talking.

Ok what a start to the day. I decided I’d run into town to get a couple of things I needed and swing by McDonalds drive up for a coffee and get back to my day while tolerating my incessant internal whining about wanting to be elsewhere.
So get this...I order a coffee at the drive up and am told to stop at the first window with the amount as usual. As I’m rolling up to the window this young man who looked maybe 12 years old but I’m assuming must be 18 is waving me on to the next window. Well of course I stop anyway. As I look at him in disbelieve he says “I got it sir. I got your coffee today, you can pull up the the next window and pick it up”.

:Jawdrop:

:A Blink:

Not “it’s on the house”, “not we’ve got your coffee”, but “I got it today sir”.
I am dumbfounded to the point that all I can muster is a lame “well thank you young man, that’s very nice of you”.
I actually felt stupid when I drove away as I saw him dropping change into the till from his own pocket. Now he needed his change way more than I did and although the amount is really irrelevant, the gesture is enormous...especially after experiencing the piece of shit I had in my office earlier. I’d seen this kid at the drive-up window several times. He always has a smile. Happy to be there. Happy to work.

That kid just singlehandedly renewed my faith in the next generations.

I might even go back and untie and remove the gag from earlier said offender.

Maybe.

I’m still a little pissy.

Last edited:
Maybe go back and offer that kid at McDonald's a real job.
When you are in a little better mood.

Sorry about you not going to Africa.
Hope your next one makes up for it.

Steam was coming out of my ears reading the first part of the story!! That kind of ungratefullness flies all over me!!

Glad your day had a high note meeting a kid with work ethic!

Last edited:
Maybe go back and offer that kid at McDonald's a real job.
When you are in a little better mood.

Sorry about you not going to Africa.
Hope your next one makes up for it.
Yeah no doubt.
Actually, when I got back to my office I found the number and called his manager and gave the kid some high customer praise. Not for the gesture as I wasn’t sure about their policies on that, but gave high praise for attitude and his work.
Good kid...even before this.

Steam was coming out of my ears reading the first part of the story!! That kind of ungratefullness flies all over me!!

Glad your day had a high note meeting a kid with work ethic!
I’m telling you, I struggled with holding back on that one. It was unbelievable.

It must be your lucky day. How the F@&k does all that line up on one day? Especially that day!

I like your story , there are too many stupid kids in the world. I’m sure that in this new generation there is a higher level of misfits who think the world owes them. It’s frustrating.

I’ve got some scum shit humans living on the back of my renovation project house. We have a laneway between us they pushed their shit unregistered car out of the yard and it not only blocks my access it tests against my fence. If I did not have a substantial concrete footing it would have done some real damage.

They are known to police the cop yesterday said let’s gets the fucka towed hey, he tried to call a couple of times and said he would follow up.

The shitbox is still there this morning, I went to the police again this morning and wondered if the girl behind the counter was old enough to be a police officer but she was polite, professional and helpful. Probably had a good upbringing. There are good people in the world you are just having a bad day.

I did not ask the young lady how old she was. I was boarding a domestic flight on a regional airline and the young looking young fella with a pilots cap was greeting passengers as they boarded. I asked “How long have you been flying commercial?” His response, “I’m on work experience” I picked my jaw off the tarmac and boarded without saying a word. Probably made his day. That was a few years ago and this cranky old man is only 48 now.

Shits gotta improve right?

It must be your lucky day. How the F@&k does all that line up on one day? Especially that day!

I like your story , there are too many stupid kids in the world. I’m sure that in this new generation there is a higher level of misfits who think the world owes them. It’s frustrating.

I’ve got some scum shit humans living on the back of my renovation project house. We have a laneway between us they pushed their shit unregistered car out of the yard and it not only blocks my access it tests against my fence. If I did not have a substantial concrete footing it would have done some real damage.

They are known to police the cop yesterday said let’s gets the fucka towed hey, he tried to call a couple of times and said he would follow up.

The shitbox is still there this morning, I went to the police again this morning and wondered if the girl behind the counter was old enough to be a police officer but she was polite, professional and helpful. Probably had a good upbringing. There are good people in the world you are just having a bad day.

I did not ask the young lady how old she was. I was boarding a domestic flight on a regional airline and the young looking young fella with a pilots cap was greeting passengers as they boarded. I asked “How long have you been flying commercial?” His response, “I’m on work experience” I picked my jaw off the tarmac and boarded without saying a word. Probably made his day. That was a few years ago and this cranky old man is only 48 now.

Shits gotta improve right?
Yikes! Good luck with that!

I’ve had some days like this one before but it was magnified today cuz I was internally pouting all day. Lol
The two earlier brats unfortunately are becoming more common...or maybe just becoming more noticeable to me as time goes on.
But even though I do know, and know of, tons of good young people, that kid today just happened to be a breath of fresh air when I needed it most I guess.

I guess it’s like everything else...the good stuff usually goes unnoticed unless it’s extraordinary while the shitty stuff seems immediately stick to your face. :giggle:

A very sad, but so true commentary on today's young people. And sadder yet--they could be the future "leaders?" of the country.
No doubt. The bad ones grab your attention whether you want them too or not and take your attention from the good ones we should be concentrating on. They’re kinda like anti hunters...it doesn’t do any good to argue with them, you have to hold your temper and try to educate.
Except on the day you’re supposed to be hunting in Africa...then it should be legal to do great bodily harm. ;)

A very sad, but so true commentary on today's young people. And sadder yet--they could be the future "leaders?" of the country.
I'm 31, allow me to extend an olive branch of diplomacy from my generation.

With my generation it seems you get one extreme or the other, we're either complete crushers or complete pieces of crap. There's not much in the middle. It's simultaneously exciting and terrifying that my peers will lead the country in the future.

That being said, this is system we inherited.

It wasn't MY generation that crushed US manufacturing by shipping jobs to China and passing NAFTA. But it's my generation that will have to fight to get it back.

It wasn't MY generation that enabled our country to rack up unfathomable amounts of National debt. But it's my generation that will pay it back with our taxes. Not to mention it's almost a mathematical impossibility that I will receive an adequate amount of Social Security that I've been forced to pay into.

It wasn't MY generation that got the country involved in endless War in the middle east. But it was, and is, my generation that has to deal with it (I was in the Marine Corps for 10 years), and it's my generation that is trying to end it.

It wasn't MY generation that bailed out the bankers in 2009. But it's my generation that pays back the bail out.

The Marxist professors in the US colleges aren't from MY generation. But it's my generation that has to deal with seeing my peers brainwashed and living in a false reality.

If the current (and past 20 years) "Leaders" of the US are the example my generation will have to live up to, Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer, and Mitch McConnell, the shoes aren't going to be very hard to fill.

The Nihilism that has become somewhat of a trait of my generation comes from a sense of hopelessness for the future of both our liberties and economic opportunities. Not to mention the rampant corruption, and lack of accountability the "leaders" of our country are held to. The "leaders" of our society brainwashed my generation to "Go to college so you don't end up working at McDonald's or digging a ditch" then when they leave college with crippling debt and no job opportunities they say "Don't think you're too good to work at McDonald's or dig a ditch." I'm glad I didn't fall for this lie, and I do know many guys who ignored our teachers and went into the trades.

I know to listen to elders, and to take the good with the bad. I've been blessed with time, circumstance, and the wherewithal to surround myself with men of good good character both young and old. I have heard terrible advice from men of all generations, as well as good advice. One of the most important characteristics of a man in my opinion is integrity. This is a trait that has to be learned and instilled into young men from very early on.

My generation has many faults, and I'm one of the biggest critics of my generation. The lack of traditional values and degenerate behavior displayed by my generation is despicable at times. However, rest assured there are many among us who completely understand how serious the stakes are, and who don't worship at the altar of the NFL and the other modern day bread and circuses that Marcus Cicero so wisely told us can't appease the real human hunger. Logos is rising, and the elasticity of time and culture will snap one day and launch us back into the right direction.

Rant complete, God bless all!

I've worked in grocery stores almost my entire life. 33 years now.
25 years ago out of 10 new hires if 1 or 2 didn't work out it was considered acceptable. Now if we can get 1 out of 10 that sticks around and actually works we're doing pretty good.
Any kid that comes in with a good attitude and willing to work can be management in months. But yet we're severely understaffed always.
2 years ago my son was getting sporadic work as a concrete finisher. No insurance or vacation so he came to work here.
He's been the grocery manager for a year now.
We're a big busy store btw.
About 55 million a year

I’m raising a second grandchild now. I apparently blew it with the parents. Blew it with the first grandchild we had to raise. I rarely worked less than a 10 hour day as an engineer. I loved the creativity. I worked an 8 hour night shift in college and 4 hours a day in the university tool room. I saved $.10 out of every dollar I earned even if I was hungry. I learned at an early age the words yes ma’am and yes sir. It worked for me.

But I still don’t know how to teach that to a kid and make it work for them! They seem to either do or not.

Best of luck to anyone raising kids!

My personal take on this is that the rot started in the 60's... The 50's was more of a wholesome decade then the new age bullshit started coming to the fore. In life and in schools and universities. manners and respect were placed second to the needs, wants and "liberties' of the individual... T.S Elliott was replaced by Marx and Mao. The human rights speech did away with the second part of the speech where responsibility was tied to the rights... Discipline was cast out the back door and passive parenting came in. No more smacks on the bum for naughty kids. Rather the parent should go to therapy for being angry with the little angles. What has that left us with 30-40 years later? Liberal adults with no sense raising kids that are even worse than them!

These little toe rag ANTIFA / BLM idiots that actually can't decipher the world around them. I grew up with a smacked ass if I even thought of doing 92.7% of what kids do today. But then again if you were raised by parents that didn't believe in discipline and boundaries then you grew up with neither of those things! If you have no discipline and no boundaries you have absolutely NOTHING to offer.

There are so many great youngsters around but unfortunately the percentage of toe rags is increasing. It is up to us to bring up our own decently and if possible be a mentor to other kids / youngsters as well. I tell my kids every time they go out to "be a leader not a follower, make good decisions'

Ps... my boys know if they ever behave like your office visitor this morning they'll have me to reckon with when I find out! I don't think they'd like to wake up with a crowd around them.

With my generation it seems you get one extreme or the other, we're either complete crushers or complete pieces of crap. There's not much in the middle. It's simultaneously exciting and terrifying that my peers will lead the country in the future.

It wasn't MY generation that crushed US manufacturing by shipping jobs to China and passing NAFTA. But it's my generation that will have to fight to get it back.

It wasn't MY generation that enabled our country to rack up unfathomable amounts of National debt. But it's my generation that will pay it back with our taxes. Not to mention it's almost a mathematical impossibility that I will receive an adequate amount of Social Security that I've been forced to pay into.

It wasn't MY generation that got the country involved in endless War in the middle east. But it was, and is, my generation that has to deal with it (I was in the Marine Corps for 10 years), and it's my generation that is trying to end it.

It wasn't MY generation that bailed out the bankers in 2009. But it's my generation that pays back the bail out.

The Marxist professors in the US colleges aren't from MY generation. But it's my generation that has to deal with seeing my peers brainwashed and living in a false reality.

If the current (and past 20 years) "Leaders" of the US are the example my generation will have to live up to, Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer, and Mitch McConnell, the shoes aren't going to be very hard to fill.

The Nihilism that has become somewhat of a trait of my generation comes from a sense of hopelessness for the future of both our liberties and economic opportunities. Not to mention the rampant corruption, and lack of accountability the "leaders" of our country are held to. The "leaders" of our society brainwashed my generation to "Go to college so you don't end up working at McDonald's or digging a ditch" then when they leave college with crippling debt and no job opportunities they say "Don't think you're too good to work at McDonald's or dig a ditch." I'm glad I didn't fall for this lie, and I do know many guys who ignored our teachers and went into the trades.

I know to listen to elders, and to take the good with the bad. I've been blessed with time, circumstance, and the wherewithal to surround myself with men of good good character both young and old. I have heard terrible advice from men of all generations, as well as good advice. One of the most important characteristics of a man in my opinion is integrity. This is a trait that has to be learned and instilled into young men from very early on.

My generation has many faults, and I'm one of the biggest critics of my generation. The lack of traditional values and degenerate behavior displayed by my generation is despicable at times. However, rest assured there are many among us who completely understand how serious the stakes are, and who don't worship at the altar of the NFL and the other modern day bread and circuses that Marcus Cicero so wisely told us can't appease the real human hunger. Logos is rising, and the elasticity of time and culture will snap one day and launch us back into the right direction.

As a fellow 31-year-old, I agree with the vast majority of what you're saying. There are a lot of issues that need fixing by our generation that sadly have been building for a long time. While at the same time many people in our generation are not realizing that you don’t magically graduate from college with a 100k+ per year job. You have to work for it and until you understand the nuts and bolts you can’t run the show. (Unfortunately these days a whole lot of people must learn this the hard way) I just hope we can right the direction of the country before this country is just a dried-out husk of what it used to be.

Been living in our home for 31 years. In those 31 years, twice did kids come around and offer to shovel snow, never anything else. Unbeknown to us, a new family moved in a block away. Got this in the door one day. I removed any personal references to the letter. I had him stacking wood and will have him do more work for me. He said he has a lot of work lined up for the fall. There are some good kids out there, just harder to find.

work_offer.jpg

Been living in our home for 31 years. In those 31 years, twice did kids come around and offer to shovel snow, never anything else. Unbeknown to us, a new family moved in a block away. Got this in the door one day. I removed any personal references to the letter. I had him stacking wood and will have him do more work for me. He said he has a lot of work lined up for the fall. There are some good kids out there, just harder to find.

View attachment 372835
I would easily pay for the dog waste service! as much as I love my do I hate dog poop.

I don’t disagree. I run into both fairly often and don’t get me wrong, there are more than anyone likes to admit to in every generation, including my own.
As I said, I was just cranky yesterday so everything was magnified. It just wasn’t the day for it and you have to admit those two were the extreme. I doubt anyone would defend their actions.
I’m over it now. ;)
Thanks for the input. I really wasn’t trying to stereotype any particular group.

I was going to have the young man mow my lawn but the state of Delaware put the kabosh on it. Requires him to be sixteen. His mom found out about it after he put out his flyers.

I don’t disagree. I run into both fairly often and don’t get me wrong, there are more than anyone likes to admit to in every generation, including my own.
As I said, I was just cranky yesterday so everything was magnified. It just wasn’t the day for it and you have to admit those two were the extreme. I doubt anyone would defend their actions.
I’m over it now. ;)
Thanks for the input. I really wasn’t trying to stereotype any particular group.
Absolutely man, just wanted to give you more hope!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg