Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Zimbabwe, RSA, Namibia, Cameroon, Mozambique, Canada, USA
Unfortunately I am 10 days out from my hunt in Zim and just cracked the rifle stock on my Ruger MKII Hawkeye .375 African (wood stock) right behind the safety tang and extending into my palm grip.

I am in need of urgent repairs (or maybe I should say replacement) and was looking at the Hogue stocks from Cabelas. They list that the full length bedding blocks fit the long action such as the 30-06 but will it work for the .375 african barrel? Is the .375 a bigger barrel than the standard LA? Also, if the barrel does fit do the hogues drop in nicely or do they need to be custom fitted and trimmed around the trigger tang and safety tang?

Has anybody had this happen to them and does Ruger back this sort of problem for the wood stock? Only problem with Ruger is I dont have time to send the gun to them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Ruger will cover repairs. Call them and they may expedite since you are hunting soon. Call Cabelas and talk to someone who knows, they do some smithing. The only way to know is talk to the people who have the stuff, but contact Ruger first. The bedding pad behind the recoil lug must have let go I guess, not unheard of in heavy kickers. Good luck, hope you get it handled in time.

Your rifle will drop into a Hawkeye Alaskan stock. I would call Ruger and see if they would overnight you one (might have to fiddle with a wood African variant.) Alternatively, might also call Hogue (they build the Alaskan stock) and see if they could do the same.

Hello
I would like to say that if in your position I would go with the Hogue. Your going to have to get ANY stock fitted by a gunsmith. There is no such thing as a true drop in fit(with any good stock anyway). You may ask how does he know? I am a gunsmith. We already know your particular rifle broke one stock a wood replacement is an ify proposition. Go with the Hogue with a bedding block then have a worry free time in Africa. You dont have much time and the rifle will need to be rezeroed because of the change.

I just found and ordered a Hogue. Now to find a gunsmith to make sure it properly fits. Thanks for your information gentlemen.

I think you will find it will drop right in. Get to the range and rezero.

Hello
I would like to say that if in your position I would go with the Hogue. Your going to have to get ANY stock fitted by a gunsmith. There is no such thing as a true drop in fit(with any good stock anyway). You may ask how does he know? I am a gunsmith. We already know your particular rifle broke one stock a wood replacement is an ify proposition. Go with the Hogue with a bedding block then have a worry free time in Africa. You dont have much time and the rifle will need to be rezeroed because of the change.
Good day. I know this is an old post. I was wondering if I fit a second crossbolt to my 375 ruger hawkeye in a wood stock and fit a pillars under the 2 triger screws it would be a better fix. I live in South Africa snd getting replacement stock is verry exencive and time consuming
Thank you
Bertus

Bertus,
Yes, a second properly installed cross bolt, glass bedding and pillar bedding will all greatly reduce chances of splitting. That particular model Ruger stock design is minimal to begin with and is susceptible to splitting. It's a good idea to do that work

Bertus,
Yes, a second properly installed cross bolt, glass bedding and pillar bedding will all greatly reduce chances of splitting. That particular model Ruger stock design is minimal to begin with and is susceptible to splitting. It's a good idea to do that work
Thank you. I was thinking that maybe I can install a thin pillar for the middel screw. What do you think.
Thanks
Bertus

Ruger bedding is slightly different so you may have to use some ingenuity. But yes, should be able to do it with benefit. The idea of a pillar is to isolate the action screw from contact with the stock. Pillar bedding has two functions- to reduce effects of variable stock stress (especially true with wood stocks) on the barreled action thus better potential accuracy and by isolating the action screw(s) from the stock it reduces the stress the screw(s) can have on the stock during recoil... thus less risk of splitting a wood stock. A good supplement to the pillar(s) would be to glass bed the action up to at least the front action recoil lug for a free-floated barrel or bed the entire barreled-action for maximum strength. Properly done, bedding will greatly strengthen any wood stock.

Ruger bedding is slightly different so you may have to use some ingenuity. But yes, should be able to do it with benefit. The idea of a pillar is to isolate the action screw from contact with the stock. Pillar bedding has two functions- to reduce effects of variable stock stress (especially true with wood stocks) on the barreled action thus better potential accuracy and by isolating the action screw(s) from the stock it reduces the stress the screw(s) can have on the stock during recoil... thus less risk of splitting a wood stock. A good supplement to the pillar(s) would be to glass bed the action up to at least the front action recoil lug for a free-floated barrel or bed the entire barreled-action for maximum strength. Properly done, bedding will greatly strengthen any wood stock.
Thank you
just heard that ruger is sending me a new stock. will be here by Feb.

I did the job with my RSM in 375 H&H Mag
I made the crossbolt out of brass, I think this was nice and practical, at least I strenghten the stock

18921206_10154530733156835_6966664583565773814_o.jpg

Attachments

• 18921206_10154530733156835_6966664583565773814_o.jpg
    18921206_10154530733156835_6966664583565773814_o.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 1,366

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SungHiggin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg