Cow Killer

rpgoldsby

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Finally got my Merkel 375 H&H put together the way I wanted. She’s just dying to shoot some buffalo cows.
IMG_8232.JPG
IMG_8230.JPG
IMG_8233.JPG
IMG_8234.JPG

Beautiful rifle!!

Nice rifle!

The thread title made me think at first it was in regard to an encounter with a species of wasp nicknamed Cow Killer (often mistaken for an ant, and considering ants evolved from prehistoric wasps, splitting hairs).

https://www.insectidentification.org/insect-description.asp?identification=Cow-Killer

The first time I saw one of these was at the Audubon Zoo in New Orleans, not in an exhibit but crawling around the footpath to the Louisiana Swamp exhibit 25 years ago on a 4th of July vacation trip with my wife when we were engaged to be married. Later when we lived in rural SE Louisiana (St. James Parish) 2005 - 2011 we'd see these solitary wingless females walking around all the time on our property. We always just left them alone. All the ones we've seen have been iridescent red & black.

Beautiful rifle.
From the looks of that sling, something in Africa has already made it to the salt.
What kind of leather is that?

Beautiful rifle.
From the looks of that sling, something in Africa has already made it to the salt.
What kind of leather is that?

Buffalo leather off of my first bull 5 years ago.

Nice rifle!

The thread title made me think at first it was in regard to an encounter with a species of wasp nicknamed Cow Killer (often mistaken for an ant, and considering ants evolved from prehistoric wasps, splitting hairs).

https://www.insectidentification.org/insect-description.asp?identification=Cow-Killer

The first time I saw one of these was at the Audubon Zoo in New Orleans, not in an exhibit but crawling around the footpath to the Louisiana Swamp exhibit 25 years ago on a 4th of July vacation trip with my wife when we were engaged to be married. Later when we lived in rural SE Louisiana (St. James Parish) 2005 - 2011 we'd see these solitary wingless females walking around all the time on our property. We always just left them alone. All the ones we've seen have been iridescent red & black.

My wife is from NOLA I’ve seen this cow killer you speak of but never knew what it was called. Mean looking sucker.

That’s one handsome double! Can’t wait for a report on the first hunt with it!

+1 on beautiful rifle.

Shame the scope is not as elegant as the rifle.

PS If you want to kill a lot of cows and break in that rig properly, come to Texas and shoot exotics. Here is a red deer cow:

We have a wide variety of exotics - enough for a good time with your DR kit.

Attachments

• 57039_600x400.jpg
    57039_600x400.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 104
Last edited by a moderator:
I agree wholeheartedly, what's not to like about that set-up. Have you taken it for a "spin" on a rifle range? How did it shoot? What loads or ammo are you using or going to use?

I had an old trijicon scope that came with the rifle. It shot great at 50 yards with federal trophy bonded bear claws. Since than I have had a terrible time finding the bear claws in 300 grain. I’ve since switched to Federal premium Swift A frame 300 grain. Plan on sighting in it when it cools down here in Alabama

Nice man, congrats on the addition!

I had an old trijicon scope that came with the rifle. It shot great at 50 yards with federal trophy bonded bear claws. Since than I have had a terrible time finding the bear claws in 300 grain. I’ve since switched to Federal premium Swift A frame 300 grain. Plan on sighting in it when it cools down here in Alabama

Had the same problem finding the 300 grain bear claws. I am happy to tell you that the Federal A-frames regulated pretty much the same as the Bear Claws in my 375 H&H

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg