Cow Killer

rpgoldsby

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Finally got my Merkel 375 H&H put together the way I wanted. She’s just dying to shoot some buffalo cows.
IMG_8232.JPG
IMG_8230.JPG
IMG_8233.JPG
IMG_8234.JPG

Mr. Zorg

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Nice rifle!

The thread title made me think at first it was in regard to an encounter with a species of wasp nicknamed Cow Killer (often mistaken for an ant, and considering ants evolved from prehistoric wasps, splitting hairs).

https://www.insectidentification.org/insect-description.asp?identification=Cow-Killer

The first time I saw one of these was at the Audubon Zoo in New Orleans, not in an exhibit but crawling around the footpath to the Louisiana Swamp exhibit 25 years ago on a 4th of July vacation trip with my wife when we were engaged to be married. Later when we lived in rural SE Louisiana (St. James Parish) 2005 - 2011 we'd see these solitary wingless females walking around all the time on our property. We always just left them alone. All the ones we've seen have been iridescent red & black.

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
Beautiful rifle.
From the looks of that sling, something in Africa has already made it to the salt.
What kind of leather is that?

rpgoldsby

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Beautiful rifle.
From the looks of that sling, something in Africa has already made it to the salt.
What kind of leather is that?

Buffalo leather off of my first bull 5 years ago.

rpgoldsby

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Nice rifle!

The thread title made me think at first it was in regard to an encounter with a species of wasp nicknamed Cow Killer (often mistaken for an ant, and considering ants evolved from prehistoric wasps, splitting hairs).

https://www.insectidentification.org/insect-description.asp?identification=Cow-Killer

The first time I saw one of these was at the Audubon Zoo in New Orleans, not in an exhibit but crawling around the footpath to the Louisiana Swamp exhibit 25 years ago on a 4th of July vacation trip with my wife when we were engaged to be married. Later when we lived in rural SE Louisiana (St. James Parish) 2005 - 2011 we'd see these solitary wingless females walking around all the time on our property. We always just left them alone. All the ones we've seen have been iridescent red & black.

My wife is from NOLA I’ve seen this cow killer you speak of but never knew what it was called. Mean looking sucker.

Ridgewalker

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
That’s one handsome double! Can’t wait for a report on the first hunt with it!

crs

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
sheltontechnologies.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
CRS, NRA Patron Member, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Hunted
RSA
+1 on beautiful rifle.

Shame the scope is not as elegant as the rifle.

PS If you want to kill a lot of cows and break in that rig properly, come to Texas and shoot exotics. Here is a red deer cow:

We have a wide variety of exotics - enough for a good time with your DR kit.

Attachments

• 57039_600x400.jpg
    57039_600x400.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 65
Last edited by a moderator:

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
I agree wholeheartedly, what's not to like about that set-up. Have you taken it for a "spin" on a rifle range? How did it shoot? What loads or ammo are you using or going to use?

rpgoldsby

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I had an old trijicon scope that came with the rifle. It shot great at 50 yards with federal trophy bonded bear claws. Since than I have had a terrible time finding the bear claws in 300 grain. I’ve since switched to Federal premium Swift A frame 300 grain. Plan on sighting in it when it cools down here in Alabama

cpr0312

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia
Nice man, congrats on the addition!

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
I had an old trijicon scope that came with the rifle. It shot great at 50 yards with federal trophy bonded bear claws. Since than I have had a terrible time finding the bear claws in 300 grain. I’ve since switched to Federal premium Swift A frame 300 grain. Plan on sighting in it when it cools down here in Alabama

Had the same problem finding the 300 grain bear claws. I am happy to tell you that the Federal A-frames regulated pretty much the same as the Bear Claws in my 375 H&H

Mr. Zorg

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dambo416

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho Hunting Safaris wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J