Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
Travellers arriving from several southern African countries will have to quarantine amid warnings over a new Covid variant.
Health Secretary Sajid Javid said from 12:00 GMT on Friday six countries would be added to the red list, with flights being temporarily banned.

One expert described the variant, known as B.1.1.529, as "the worst one we've seen so far", and there is concern it has the potential to evade immunity.
No cases have been confirmed in the UK.
Only 59 confirmed cases have been identified in South Africa, Hong Kong and Botswana so far.

What do we know about this new variant?

All flights from South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Lesotho and Eswatini are being suspended, Mr Javid said.

He said that scientists were "deeply concerned" about the new variant but more needed to be learned about it.

But he said that what we do know is that there is a significant number of mutations, "perhaps double the number of mutations that we have seen in the Delta variant".

He added: "And that would suggest that it may well be more transmissible and the current vaccines that we have may well be less effective."
He said adding the six countries to the red list was about "being cautious and taking action and trying to protect. as best we can, our borders".
Anyone arriving from the countries after 04:00 on Sunday will have to quarantine in a hotel, with those returning before that being asked to isolate at home.
Those who have returned in the last 10 days are being asked to take a PCR test.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-59424269

So this is the UK. I wonder how long it will take the US and Canada to signal virtuous solidarity.

It would be good to know how actually transmittable this variant is before hitting the media klaxons.

The UK government announcing the suspension of flights sure sets the tone.

I do hope they set a team to work on it sooner than later and determine transmissibility and efficacy. Research would certainly be nice.

Exactly. The UK government got hammered for not closing the borders quickly enough in the first wave.
Now they are reacting with haste over something that hasn't been researched properly yet to avoid the same.
The government were incredibly slow to remove southern African countries from the banned list, in fact they only opened up travel a few weeks ago and now they are banned again.
It will be be a long time before we, in the UK can travel to southern Africa again I'm sure.

Seen several stories about this today. One step forward, two steps back....

The dominoes are falling. Netherlands, Israel, EU discussing….
At least some are already working on protocol for admission and not just closing borders.
Fingers crossed.

The formal naming ceremony at WHO takes place today at some point. Perhaps, Beta carotene…. That’s taken
Maybe…. Beta Beta.

I know SOB.

I’ll just leave it to the experts.

I sure hope it’s overreacting but if this is the real deal, then everyone will be bitching that the govt didn’t act fast enough if people start dying at alarming rates. No win situation.

Same old crap with politicians and msm, Henny Penny, the sky is falling. Throw the world into chaos over something they know shit about. I am tired, just plain tired.

FB_IMG_1637944177729.jpg

So this is the UK. I wonder how long it will take the US and Canada to signal virtuous solidarity.

It would be good to know how actually transmittable this variant is before hitting the media klaxons.

Holiday weekend, give it till Monday or Tuesday. Of course, the stock market took a dive today from it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg