COVID-19 Coronavirus UPDATES, BANS, CLOSURES, ADVISORY, etc.

IMG-20220113-WA0004.jpg

SA is looking into scrapping PCR tests for vaccinated visitors – or allowing cheaper tests​

Luke Daniel , Business Insider SA
Jan 11, 2022, 06:30 AM

Covid-19 PCR test travel South Africa

(Getty Images)

• Travellers coming to South Africa need to undergo PCR testing, with no exceptions.
  • Other countries now waive testing for the fully vaccinated, or at least allow inexpensive and quicker rapid antigen tests.
  • The health department this week confirmed that it has received – and is "processing" – proposals concerning changes to the testing protocols.
  • For more stories go to www.BusinessInsider.co.za.
International travellers visiting South Africa need to present a negative PCR test result not older than 72 hours from the time of departure. No exceptions are made for the fully vaccinated and rapid antigen tests don’t count.
That could be changing – though there are no guarantees just yet, and things aren't moving fast enough for everyone's liking.

The department of health this week confirmed to Business Insider South Africa that it had received proposals to scrap testing for fully vaccinated travellers or, at the very least, include rapid antigen tests as an option.

Spokesperson Foster Mohale noted that the debate surrounding testing requirements was not something new and although the department of health had received proposals, the decision to change regulations rested with the National Coronavirus Command Council (NCCC).

“Some are proposing that we accept the antigen test [and] these are proposals that we are still processing,” Mohale told Business Insider SA.
“Once we have [discussed] them with the NCCC [and] if they are endorsed then we'll be able to announce [changes] but it is true that we have received such proposals… but as of now, the status quo remains. There are no changes.”
Many in the tourism sector have been pushing hard for a radical change to South Africa's approach.
Dropping the mandatory requirement for fully vaccinated travellers to undergo a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test to visit South Africa will go a long way in aiding the tourism sector’s recovery, they argue.
Fully vaccinated travellers shouldn’t face any barriers, in the form of either Covid-19 testing or mandatory quarantine. This is the view held by the International Air Transport Association (IATA), which, in its paper on restarting global travel, published in November, proposed that pre-departure testing should enable those without access to vaccines to travel.
This sentiment was raised by the World Health Organisation (WHO) back in July 2021 as part of a public policy consideration document which urged countries to adopt a risk-based approach when implementing and updating travel regulations.
International travellers should not be considered as a priority group for Covid-19 testing and those who’ve been fully vaccinated should be exempt from heightened travel restrictions, according to the WHO. Additionally, policies for testing and quarantine should be regularly reviewed to ensure they are lifted when they are no longer necessary.
And while the world still fights a wave of Omicron infection, some countries, most recently the United Kingdom (UK) and Ireland, have heeded the WHO’s call.
The UK no longer requires fully vaccinated travellers to provide a negative PCR test result before travelling to England and has, instead, moved to a cheaper, quicker post-arrival rapid antigen – or lateral flow – test. Ireland recently scrapped all testing requirements for fully vaccinated travellers entering the country. Germany has done the same.
And for those countries that still require some proof, the rapid antigen test, which is less than half the cost of a PCR with results available within 30 minutes, is commonly permitted as an alternative.
“Our stance is [that] vaccinated travellers should not require any PCR testing. If they do show symptoms when they are in the country, they’ll get tested,” Tshifhiwa Tshivhengwa, CEO of the Tourism Business Council of South Africa (TBCSA), told Business Insider SA.
“The reason for that is quite simple… we are competing with other countries that have scrapped PCR testing for fully vaccinated travellers. So, if we continue with PCR testing, the travellers, when they choose where to go, will start with the countries that don’t require them, if they are fully vaccinated, to have PCR testing.”
This unwavering PCR testing requirement is doing the country’s economy no favours, according to the Southern Africa Tourism Services Association (SATSA). The association’s CEO, David Frost, has argued that the “logical” decision would be to drop testing requirements for fully vaccinated travellers which would save visitors “hassle and cost”.
“For all segments of tourism to flourish certainty is required,” Frost told Business Insider SA.
“Reversing decisions on quarantine, contract tracing, etc is confusing for travellers. We would also encourage the DOH [department of health] to discontinue the PCR test requirement for travellers who produce a vaccination certificate as is being done elsewhere in the world.”
Professor Shabir Madhi, director of the Vaccines & Infectious Diseases Analytics Research Unit at the University of the Witwatersrand, told Business Insider SA that it “doesn’t make any sense to have testing for entry if the virus is so widespread in circulation.”
This is especially true for South Africa, which, according to Madhi, is “only documenting one-tenth of the infections that are occurring in the first instance.”
Tshivhengwa confirmed that he had raised the issue of relaxing testing requirements with the highest levels of government but added that the process was moving too slowly.
“It needs to be given the necessary consideration. We debated this last year and said, look, let’s be a little bit more progressive,” said Tshivhengwa.
“We’ve presented that, and I believe there’s enough evidence to support our stance. Do I think government is taking this seriously? I would want them to move faster… we can’t just talk about recovery [of the tourism sector] without removing obstacles.”

SA is looking into scrapping PCR tests for vaccinated visitors – or allowing cheaper tests​

Luke Daniel , Business Insider SA
Jan 11, 2022, 06:30 AM

Covid-19 PCR test travel South Africa

(Getty Images)

• Travellers coming to South Africa need to undergo PCR testing, with no exceptions.
  • Other countries now waive testing for the fully vaccinated, or at least allow inexpensive and quicker rapid antigen tests.
  • The health department this week confirmed that it has received – and is "processing" – proposals concerning changes to the testing protocols.
  • For more stories go to www.BusinessInsider.co.za.
International travellers visiting South Africa need to present a negative PCR test result not older than 72 hours from the time of departure. No exceptions are made for the fully vaccinated and rapid antigen tests don’t count.
That could be changing – though there are no guarantees just yet, and things aren't moving fast enough for everyone's liking.

The department of health this week confirmed to Business Insider South Africa that it had received proposals to scrap testing for fully vaccinated travellers or, at the very least, include rapid antigen tests as an option.

Spokesperson Foster Mohale noted that the debate surrounding testing requirements was not something new and although the department of health had received proposals, the decision to change regulations rested with the National Coronavirus Command Council (NCCC).

“Some are proposing that we accept the antigen test [and] these are proposals that we are still processing,” Mohale told Business Insider SA.
“Once we have [discussed] them with the NCCC [and] if they are endorsed then we'll be able to announce [changes] but it is true that we have received such proposals… but as of now, the status quo remains. There are no changes.”
Many in the tourism sector have been pushing hard for a radical change to South Africa's approach.
Dropping the mandatory requirement for fully vaccinated travellers to undergo a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test to visit South Africa will go a long way in aiding the tourism sector’s recovery, they argue.
Fully vaccinated travellers shouldn’t face any barriers, in the form of either Covid-19 testing or mandatory quarantine. This is the view held by the International Air Transport Association (IATA), which, in its paper on restarting global travel, published in November, proposed that pre-departure testing should enable those without access to vaccines to travel.
This sentiment was raised by the World Health Organisation (WHO) back in July 2021 as part of a public policy consideration document which urged countries to adopt a risk-based approach when implementing and updating travel regulations.
International travellers should not be considered as a priority group for Covid-19 testing and those who’ve been fully vaccinated should be exempt from heightened travel restrictions, according to the WHO. Additionally, policies for testing and quarantine should be regularly reviewed to ensure they are lifted when they are no longer necessary.
And while the world still fights a wave of Omicron infection, some countries, most recently the United Kingdom (UK) and Ireland, have heeded the WHO’s call.
The UK no longer requires fully vaccinated travellers to provide a negative PCR test result before travelling to England and has, instead, moved to a cheaper, quicker post-arrival rapid antigen – or lateral flow – test. Ireland recently scrapped all testing requirements for fully vaccinated travellers entering the country. Germany has done the same.
And for those countries that still require some proof, the rapid antigen test, which is less than half the cost of a PCR with results available within 30 minutes, is commonly permitted as an alternative.
“Our stance is [that] vaccinated travellers should not require any PCR testing. If they do show symptoms when they are in the country, they’ll get tested,” Tshifhiwa Tshivhengwa, CEO of the Tourism Business Council of South Africa (TBCSA), told Business Insider SA.
“The reason for that is quite simple… we are competing with other countries that have scrapped PCR testing for fully vaccinated travellers. So, if we continue with PCR testing, the travellers, when they choose where to go, will start with the countries that don’t require them, if they are fully vaccinated, to have PCR testing.”
This unwavering PCR testing requirement is doing the country’s economy no favours, according to the Southern Africa Tourism Services Association (SATSA). The association’s CEO, David Frost, has argued that the “logical” decision would be to drop testing requirements for fully vaccinated travellers which would save visitors “hassle and cost”.
“For all segments of tourism to flourish certainty is required,” Frost told Business Insider SA.
“Reversing decisions on quarantine, contract tracing, etc is confusing for travellers. We would also encourage the DOH [department of health] to discontinue the PCR test requirement for travellers who produce a vaccination certificate as is being done elsewhere in the world.”
Professor Shabir Madhi, director of the Vaccines & Infectious Diseases Analytics Research Unit at the University of the Witwatersrand, told Business Insider SA that it “doesn’t make any sense to have testing for entry if the virus is so widespread in circulation.”
This is especially true for South Africa, which, according to Madhi, is “only documenting one-tenth of the infections that are occurring in the first instance.”
Tshivhengwa confirmed that he had raised the issue of relaxing testing requirements with the highest levels of government but added that the process was moving too slowly.
“It needs to be given the necessary consideration. We debated this last year and said, look, let’s be a little bit more progressive,” said Tshivhengwa.
“We’ve presented that, and I believe there’s enough evidence to support our stance. Do I think government is taking this seriously? I would want them to move faster… we can’t just talk about recovery [of the tourism sector] without removing obstacles.”
That would be great if it happens.

Denmark just scrapped all Covid restrictions. Progress!
vaccines are of no value. Look at Israel which has most jabs and most virus.
Hoping for more progress!

I think the testing lines are so long because people are trying to get out of work. That's why they shortened the quarantine. Workers are giving them a screwing. While your stranded in the airport some of the employees are home having a beer

Bingo!!!

Too bad, always wanted to visit there....

On the other hand, over the last three years I’ve had an annual flu vaccine, a tetanus booster, a cholera booster, two shingles vaccines and I’m due for a yellow fever booster next year. Oh, and four COVID vaccines, plus the latest omicron booster, which may not do much at all, apparently. And I’ve had COVID at least once (confimed by a test) and perhaps a second time (not confirmed).

Some vaccines seem to prevent illness (tetanus for example) while others seem to make any illness you do get less troublesome (flue vaccine for example). COVID vaccines are clearly among the latter.

Vaccines, along with chlorinated water, are one of mankind’s (can I still say that word?!) greatest advances in public health. Nothing is perfect of course, and some people react to one vaccine or another in unpleasant ways, I don’t, it seems, so I’m happy to get whatever jab is on offer. That strategy seems to have served me reasonably well for my 64 years, so I see no reason to change it now.

But to each their own.

On the other hand, over the last three years I’ve had an annual and I’m due for a yellow fever booster next year. Oh, and four COVID vaccines, plus the latest omicron booster, which may not do much at all, apparently. And I’ve had COVID at least once (confimed by a test) and perhaps a second time (not confirmed).

Some vaccines seem to prevent illness (tetanus for example) while others seem to make any illness you do get less troublesome (flue vaccine for example). COVID vaccines are clearly among the latter.

Vaccines, along with chlorinated water, are one of mankind’s (can I still say that word?!) greatest advances in public health. Nothing is perfect of course, and some people react to one vaccine or another in unpleasant ways, I don’t, it seems, so I’m happy to get whatever jab is on offer. That strategy seems to have served me reasonably well for my 64 years, so I see no reason to change it now.

But to each their own.
Hank, I hear what you are saying and I agree with you. As a kid first of all, and an African, we were well vaccinated.
Sportsmen across the world, NOT ONLY IN THE USA, haven't been forced to retire from heart problems or even drop dead from the flu vaccine, tetanus boosters, cholera booster or shingles vaccines by the numbers we've been seeing since 2021.

There is only common denominator that has changed and it comes in the mRNA form.

Hank, I hear what you are saying and I agree with you. As a kid first of all, and an African, we were well vaccinated.
Sportsmen across the world, NOT ONLY IN THE USA, haven't been forced to retire from heart problems or even drop dead from the flu vaccine, tetanus boosters, cholera booster or shingles vaccines by the numbers we've been seeing since 2021.

There is only common denominator that has changed and it comes in the mRNA form.
i think the science on this is a bit mixed, with some pretty suspect stuff coming from both sides of the argument. I had two “conventional” COVID vaccines - Astra Zeneca - and the mRNA - Pfizer. I had more of a reaction to AZ than I did to Pfizer, but nothing like the reaction I had to Shingrix (shingles).

I’m not a scientist nor a doctor, but I have a sister who is both, and I tend to take my lead from her, and she’s had as many of both as I have. But now that I think of it . . . I might not have been the perfect big brother . . . !

My 2¢, I've done the battery of shots and never got it. Same with the spouse.
Was it the shots? Don't know nor care. Not possible for many but my m.o. is stay away from crowds. 2021 and 2022 trips to RSA. I'm sure somewhere along the line I was exposed to the Chinese cooties with no ill results. .

My 2¢, I've done the battery of shots and never got it. Same with the spouse.
Was it the shots? Don't know nor care. Not possible for many but my m.o. is stay away from crowds. 2021 and 2022 trips to RSA. I'm sure somewhere along the line I was exposed to the Chinese cooties with no ill results. .
Had both shots and had Covid twice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lepani

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!