COVID-19 Coronavirus UPDATES, BANS, CLOSURES, ADVISORY, etc.

Vincent-van-Gogh.JPG

A pretty thorough explanation of chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine. I think the only thing they don’t touch on is the nightmares.

My takeaway is that dosage is important (heart related side effects and possible blindness) if it is to be tried as a prophylactic, but as of now there is only anecdotal evidence of efficacy.

A pretty thorough explanation of chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine. I think the only thing they don’t touch on is the nightmares.

My takeaway is that dosage is important (heart related side effects and possible blindness) if it is to be tried as a prophylactic, but as of now there is only anecdotal evidence of efficacy.

That was a fairly good and succinct informational video. Both medications are lipophilic (lipid-soluble and can pass thru the cell membranes phospholipid bilayer) and are basic in pH which combats the acidic-loving environment of the virus (and Plasmodium falciparum or other plasmodium species that cause malaria for which most of us hunters that visit Africa or other malaria-prone areas on earth take to prevent). The lipophilic nature of the meds are also why they likely cause potential central nervous system (CNS) symptoms- as in nightmares- because the blood-brain barrier is lipophilic as well. Interesting- CNN’s poster boy news anchor Chris Cuomo who contracted the virus (and I believe nearly recovered now)- while continuing to host his show while sick kept talking about the horrible nightmares he had. This leads me to believe that he was prescribed hydroxychloroquine by his physician on an outpatient basis. I have no way of confirming that and he, to my knowledge, has not stated such at this point- but will be interesting to see if he reports the use (and benefits) of the drug if he did in fact take it. At this point, it seems as if the liberal media are wanting the drug to fail because President Trump is advocating its use. Terrible really- but hey- what do expect from them?! If Cuomo did use it (and he obviously is liberal)- that may shut there mouths at least a little bit because we should all be on the same team here (and the world over- to find safe treatment for the virus before vaccine is ready).

Also- it is my understanding that the possibility of retinal abnormalities (leading to potential blindness), even at higher dosages than used for RA and SLE, both autoimmune diseases, is slim to none and same for cardiac conduction/arrhythmias (long Q-t interval). Thus, I wouldn’t NOT take the medication because of those risks. Just my opinion tho. As I told one of our hospital administrators one month ago when asking of my institution’s supply of the meds- people are not going to die from rheumatoid arthritis or lupus (lupus can cause end stage renal disease albeit but that’s over a long period of time)- BUT people will die from COVID19 so better have a good supply of the drug if it is found to be efficacious thru randomized studies (or just used in severely ill in the ICU as compassionate use prior to research findings from trials as it is now).

Anyway- sorry for some of my medical terminology used above but thought I would add some information as well (I’m an ENT surgeon but by no means an infectious disease physician or epidemiologist). Appreciate the link to the video!!

Everyone stay safe and healthy!! Hope I still get to go to Namibia with Jacques Spamer of JKO Safaris in mid August for a date with chui but will certainly have to wait and see! If not- will be rescheduling (not cancelling) for later. Jacques still has an extra tag for those curious about going with us- PM for further details. Cheers!

Last edited:
92482430_2727587934197322_3896307529642147840_n.jpg

92019424_10157949810990813_316831345059823616_o.jpg

My cousin has been tested for Corona virus. Won't get results for five to seven days. So much for the quick test.

It must be terrible waiting for a test. I’m sure waiting a week is miserable. Best to assume he has it and act accordingly.

I’m more anxious to get antibody tests to understand who had it. My better half and I were pretty sick a couple months ago and the symptoms were in line with Covid-19. I hope we, and many others, had mild cases.

Once things begin to get back to normal we may see job applicants with “already had Covid-19” on resumes.

I hope your cousin has a cold and feels better before the test results come in. (y)

She was tested and told to quarantine. She is to call if she has trouble breathing. She is in her late 80s.

Today, Good news.
Canadian Company has a new device for rapid testing.

rjb102-the-canadian-press.jpg

Spartan Bioscience Inc. CEO Paul Lem holds one of his company's COVID-19 portable, rapid testing devices in a handout photo. Health Canada has approved the use of the device for testing for COVID-19. The Spartan Cube from Ottawa's Spartan Bioscience is expected to help provide rapid tests in rural and remote areas such as Indigenous communities.THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO-Spartan Bioscience Inc. MANDATORY CREDIT / THE CANADIAN PRESS

Dubbed the Spartan Cube and about the size of a coffee cup, results can be had in less than an hour and do not require the specialized expertise and equipment of a large lab.

Spartan Bioscience said the tests will be rolled out “immediately” but it wasn’t clear how many were ready or where they would first be deployed.

From their website which has not been updated.

Spartan’s diagnostic platform is a CE IVD approved DNA analyzer. Its size and unique ability to go directly from sample to result from non-technical staff would be ideal for fast and portable detection of COVID-19 because it can be deployed in non-laboratory settings such as airports, cruise ships, military bases, and other critical points of entry. The CDC has developed a COVID-19 DNA test and Spartan is currently exploring how to perform the test on its platform.

They obviously got the job done.

Attachments

• rjb102-the-canadian-press.jpg
    rjb102-the-canadian-press.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 100
EU chief warns against making holiday plans amid coronavirus crisis https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-plans.html?ito=native_share_article-masthead

Jet-setters hoping for a European getaway this summer have been warned by EU chiefs not to start making holiday plans amidst the coronavirus crisis.

Countries in the European Union are being warned to keep their borders closed until September by key player, France.

It comes as France told EU leaders this weekend that it would maintain strict border controls until October 30.

Meanwhile, French president, Emmanuel Macron, has called for external borders with the passport-free Schengen zone, of which Britain is not a part, to remain closed until September.

So far there have been more than 130,000 confirmed cases of coronavirus in France and more than 14,000 deaths. There has 84,279 cases in the UK and 10,612 deaths.

Such a move could could cause major disruption for Britons hoping to travel to Europe for their summer holidays.

Ursula von der Leyen, the European Commission President, has since warned people not to make summer holiday plans.

South Africa travel restrictions:

https://www.southafrica.net/gl/en/trade/page/coronavirus-covid-19-south-african-tourism-update

NATIONAL LOCKDOWN
The Minister of Transport announced various regulations around transport during the lockdown. Included in these regulations is aviation. During the lockdown, all domestic and international air travel will be prohibited.

Tourism is not an essential service and therefore needs to adhere to the lockdown regulations that came into effect on 27 March 2020.

We appeal to tour operators and tour guides to act responsibly, and halt all operations as per the president’s declaration of a national lockdown. This will ensure the safety of everyone within the country.

That was a fairly good and succinct informational video.

Hank Green and his brother have put together several Youtube Channels that focuses on describing science. Neither one of them is a scientist but they are very good presenters. I have used Hank's videos in my biology classes over the years either as a review or an introduction to a unit. Teenagers do like his delivery. This is a good explanation.

Good Days will outnumber bad days! (y)(y)(y)

It must be terrible waiting for a test. I’m sure waiting a week is miserable. Best to assume he has it and act accordingly.

I’m more anxious to get antibody tests to understand who had it. My better half and I were pretty sick a couple months ago and the symptoms were in line with Covid-19. I hope we, and many others, had mild cases.

Once things begin to get back to normal we may see job applicants with “already had Covid-19” on resumes.

I hope your cousin has a cold and feels better before the test results come in. (y)
She tested negative. Her children are relieved as they thought she got it from one of them. Just a sinus infection.

She tested negative. Her children are relieved as they thought she got it from one of them. Just a sinus infection.

That’s great! That’s another terrible aspect of this thing; survivors guilt when you gave it to them.

Glad she’s not got the bad one.

:A Big Hello:

Hi All,

We got an update from Namibia this morning. The lockdown has been extended until May 5th.

upload_2020-4-14_11-39-26.png

EU chief warns against making holiday plans amid coronavirus crisis https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-plans.html?ito=native_share_article-masthead

Jet-setters hoping for a European getaway this summer have been warned by EU chiefs not to start making holiday plans amidst the coronavirus crisis.

Countries in the European Union are being warned to keep their borders closed until September by key player, France.

It comes as France told EU leaders this weekend that it would maintain strict border controls until October 30.

Meanwhile, French president, Emmanuel Macron, has called for external borders with the passport-free Schengen zone, of which Britain is not a part, to remain closed until September.

So far there have been more than 130,000 confirmed cases of coronavirus in France and more than 14,000 deaths. There has 84,279 cases in the UK and 10,612 deaths.

Such a move could could cause major disruption for Britons hoping to travel to Europe for their summer holidays.

Ursula von der Leyen, the European Commission President, has since warned people not to make summer holiday plans.

Found these figures for European tourism industry.....

https://www.condorferries.co.uk/tourism-in-europe-statistics

Good news about it not being covid19. Hope she gets well soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasS111

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!