COVID-19 Coronavirus UPDATES, BANS, CLOSURES, ADVISORY, etc.

The Calgary Winter Olympics.
Where the craziest athletes ever got to compete.
Looking off that 90 metres tower is something to behold. Not for the faint of heart, no matter how well the landing area is designed.
View attachment 339029
If you knew the area he came from you would not be surprised by anything. looks like the cheese rolling is off this year.

Leadership will need

If we had leadership, we could Sam Adams under control and prevented the Boston Massacre.

If we had leadership, we could have found common ground and prevented the American Revolutionary War.

If we had leadership, we would have figured out the slavery issue and prevented the American Civil War.

If we had leadership, we could have solved the issues in Serbia and prevented the Great War.

If we had leadership, we would have enforced the Treaty of Versailles and prevented the rise of Hitler.

Unfortunately, today it is us and we are all a product of our ancestors.

Let's do our job!

Good Days will outnumber bad days!

If you think Cuomo is a leader, you should get a new source for your news.

Trump could have done things better in hindsight, yes, but he is also not trying to destroy the economy. I think he even said the cure cant be worse than the symptoms. Overall I think he has done a good job given the circumstances.

Totally agree!

Have all decisions and comments been perfect? Nope! But fumbling? Hardly....

Liberals here and abroad are much more interested in pointing out past errors than they are looking at anything that works or where the errors have been corrected, speedily I might add.

Glad we have the Leadership we do that reacted QUICKLY to the issues at hand, regardless of what words were said previously. I much refer actions over words, but that is just me.

Last edited:
I met Kenneth in 1994. My first year as a high school varsity football coach in Texas. Kenneth had volunteered to film games for us 20 years previously when his son was playing. He continued to film games for us for the next 10 years. He was a great support for our school and our athletic program. He not only filmed football games but he volunteered to help work basketball tournaments and run off track meets. He may have grumbled about us coaches at night to his wife but he never did it in public and he would not let any one else grumble around him.

I met Johnny also in 1994. He was and is a very successful businessman. At the time his sons were involved in all the sports we offered. Every year Johnny would buy fertilizer for all our fields. This included 3 football practice fields, a game field, baseball field, and softball field. For those who are wondering this high school was built on old farm fields. We had a great deal of room. He would then spread the fertilizer himself. For the 12 years I worked at that school he performed that task. He too was a very positive support for our programs. On a personal note, after benching his son during a basketball game in which his son yelled at the official he came up to me and thanked me for benching his son.

I met Mark in 2009 while teaching and coaching in Tennessee. He was another one of those dads that would film games for us. He would also come up to the field house on Saturday afternoons and mow our practice field and game field. On game days he would organize a group of dads that would mark the game fields. This included friday night varsity games, Thursday middle school games, and Monday JV games. Mark also made sure many kids would get to school each day. If you missed he would go find you and you would have to present a very valid reason.

These three dads all had an amazing impact on a large number of people. They did not gripe or complain. They went out and did what they could do. They encouraged others to join them. They did their JOBS.

Interesting article that questions the number of deaths in Wuhan, putting the number closer to 40,000.

https://www.rfa.org/english/news/china/wuhan-deaths-03272020182846.html

Estimates Show Wuhan Death Toll Far Higher Than Official Figure
2020-03-27
66a59e20-5f3e-4aa9-ad28-f254fed92e05.jpeg

Workers at the Hankou Funeral Home in the central Chinese city of Wuhan undergo disinfection, March 27, 2020.
Reuters

As authorities lifted a two-month coronavirus lockdown in the central Chinese city of Wuhan, residents said they were growing increasingly skeptical that the figure of some 2,500 deaths in the city to date was accurate.

Since the start of the week, seven large funeral homes in Wuhan have been handing out the cremated remains of around 500 people to their families every day, suggesting that far more people died than ever made the official statistics.

"It can't be right ... because the incinerators have been working round the clock, so how can so few people have died?" an Wuhan resident surnamed Zhang told RFA on Friday.

"They started distributing ashes and starting interment ceremonies on
Monday," he said.

Seven funeral homes currently serve Wuhan -- a huge conurbation of three cities: Hankou, Wuchang and Hanyang.

Social media users have been doing some basic math to figure out their daily capacity, while the news website Caixin.com reported that 5,000 urns had been delivered by a supplier to the Hankou Funeral Home in one day alone -- double the official number of deaths.

Some social media posts have estimated that all seven funeral homes in Wuhan are handing out 3,500 urns every day in total.

Funeral homes have informed families that they will try to complete cremations before the traditional grave-tending festival of Qing Ming on April 5, which would indicate a 12-day process beginning on March 23.

Such an estimate would mean that 42,000 urns would be given out during that time.

Various calculations

Another popular estimate is based on the cremation capacity of the funeral homes, which run a total of 84 furnaces with a capacity over 24 hours of 1,560 urns city-wide, assuming that one cremation takes one hour.

This calculation results in an estimated 46,800 deaths.

A resident of Hubei province, of which Wuhan is the capital, said most people there now believe that more than 40,000 people died in the city before and during the lockdown.

"Maybe the authorities are gradually releasing the real figures, intentionally or unintentionally, so that people will gradually come to accept the reality," the resident, who gave only his surname Mao, said.

A source close to the provincial civil affairs bureau said many people had died at home, without being diagnosed with, or treated for, COVID-19.

The source said any talk of the true number of deaths in Wuhan was very sensitive, but that the authorities do likely know the real figure.

"Every funeral home reports data on cremations directly to the authorities twice daily," the source said. "This means that each funeral home only knows how many cremations it has conducted, but not the situation at the other funeral homes."

The source said Wuhan saw 28,000 cremations in the space of a single month, suggesting that the online estimates over a two-and-a-half month period weren't excessive.

Wuhan resident Sun Linan said relatives of those who died are now forming long lines outside funeral homes to collect their loved ones' ashes.

"It has already begun," Sun said on Thursday. "There were people lining up in Biandanshan Cemetery yesterday, and a lot of people forming lines today at Hankou Funeral Home."

Hush money

Wuhan resident Chen Yaohui told RFA that city officials have been handing out 3,000 yuan in "funeral allowances" to the families of the dead in exchange for their silence.

"There have been a lot of funerals in the past few days, and the authorities are handing out 3,000 yuan in hush money to families who get their loved ones' remains laid to rest ahead of Qing Ming," he said, in a reference to the traditional grave tending festival on April 5.

"It's to stop them keening [a traditional expression of grief]; nobody's allowed to keen after Qing Ming has passed," Chen said.

The son of deceased COVID-10 patient Hu Aizhen said he had been told to collect his mother's ashes by the local neighborhood committee.

"The local committee told me they are now handling funerals, but I don't want to do it right now," the man, surnamed Ding, told RFA.

"There are too many people doing it right now."

Chen said nobody in the city believes the official death toll.

"The official number of deaths was 2,500 people ... but before the epidemic began, the city's crematoriums typically cremated around 220 people a day," he said.

"But during the epidemic, they transferred cremation workers from around China to Wuhan keep cremate bodies around the clock," he said.

A resident surnamed Gao said the city's seven crematoriums should have a capacity of around 2,000 bodies a day if they worked around the clock.

"Anyone looking at that figure will realize, anyone with any ability to think," Gao said. "What are they talking about [2,535] people?"

"Seven crematoriums could get through more than that [in a single day]."

Reported by Qiao Long for RFA's Mandarin Service, and by Lau Siu-fung for the Cantonese Service. Translated and edited by Luisetta Mudie.

Attachments

• 66a59e20-5f3e-4aa9-ad28-f254fed92e05.jpeg
    66a59e20-5f3e-4aa9-ad28-f254fed92e05.jpeg
    58.2 KB · Views: 412
Last edited by a moderator:
The millenials I have encountered here in Tucson, seem to think that a challenge is what level they can achieve on a video game.

Chances are your are not going to encounter the millennials that will bring confidence to you. They are busy on the practice field, practicing their instrument, studying and basically getting ready to compete again once they are allowed to return to school.

The schools, students, teachers, and education system that the media presents is a far cry from the ones I worked with.

For example, in my last high school, summer band practice would start August 1st at sunrise. There would be over 140 kids out on that dew drenched field. (That would be 40% of the school population.) Since this is Texas even at sunrise the temperature would be in the high 80's with 80 to 90% humidity and of course there is no wind. Sometime around 11am they would take a lunch break. Then from 1pm to 4pm they would practice indoors.

Once school started, their practices would change to a one hour practice in the mornings during the band class period. Then they would come back at 6:30pm after we got done with football practice and continue for a very long time.

Then in October and November after performing at half time for the football game they would arrive back at the high school very early in the morning on Saturday to go compete in their own competition. Many times they did not get back from the away football game until well after mid-night.

This is a very common routine for high school bands in Texas. I would think its pretty common in high schools across the country.

Today through Facebook I am watching many of my former students (those millennials) who are on the front lines right now. They are nurses, teachers, and working in essential industries. They are doing their jobs. You better have your motor going if you are going to keep up with them!

What a valuable and thoughtful contribution to this discussion. Perhaps our moderator could provide a thread to discuss Scandinavian leadership in the current crisis.

Interestingly, on that subject, I was cruising TWITTER. (I know, In know) and saw a discussion about Swedens methodology. At this point they did not have any mandatory lock downs and were at the recommendation level. A further more drastic response was always possible.

A headline on the subject:
'They are leading us to catastrophe': Sweden's coronavirus stoicism begins to jar

https://www.government.se/governmen...sponse-to-the-virus-responsible-for-covid-19/

ps. A note to all. If we want to bash a politician, please take it over to the POLITICS thread.
I'll join you over there.

VICTORIA FALLS GATE CLOSED
No more visiting the falls for the near term.

That sounds normal but they were there. They were doing there job!

Sure, cashiers are doing their jobs but, zombie apocalypse or not, there is a basic level of professionalism that has faded away in the service industry. Maybe pleasantries like “How are you today?” are foolishly open ended questions. Is it too much to expect a greater understanding of social skills than Starman? Perhaps.

Sure, cashiers are doing their jobs but, zombie apocalypse or not, there is a basic level of professionalism that has faded away in the service industry. Maybe pleasantries like “How are you today?” are foolishly open ended questions. Is it too much to expect a greater understanding of social skills than Starman? Perhaps.

That description in no way applies to anywhere I frequent.

The younger generation's understanding of social skills is represented by the social skills exhibited by the older generation. Therefore, as I step up to the cashier, I make sure the sunglasses are off, a smile is on my face, and I tell them there is not much difference between them and Captain America or Wonder Women.

Smiles are contagious. Compliments are contagious. Positive personalities are contagious. Let's do our job. :)

My normal natural personality is to be a T-rex but now is not the time for it. It seems the only time I have found that was good for being a T-rex was in 1982 when I got to play an offensive tackle in wishbone offense on my high school football team.:sneaky:

My normal natural personality is to be a T-rex but now is not the time for it.

Wait a minute..... Are you saying that the positive attitude that you've had every single time I've been around you was a CHOICE and not your natural state????

That people can actually make a choice to be positive????

Hey..... Wait another minute..... If you can make an choice to be positive does that also mean that many are making a choice to be negative????

It's almost like people can only control themselves but that they often get exactly what they give!

Who knew???

;)

Wait a minute..... Are you saying that the positive attitude that you've had every single time I've been around you was a CHOICE and not your natural state????

Hey..... Wait another minute..... If you can make an choice to be positive does that also mean that many are making a choice to be negative????

It's almost like people can only control themselves but that they often get exactly what they give!

Who knew???

;)

In all fairness you have only been around me at DSC Conventions and AF get together. It is very easy to be positive at those time.

However when it is 3rd down and 4 yards to go and my defensive tackle jumps offside it is extremely difficult to be positive. In fact I have seen my head coach sprint down the field and intercept that player before he got to me on the sidelines. Sometimes we can choose and sometimes we need our friends and teammates to cover our back sides.

Good Days will outnumber bad days!:)

Who knew???
;)

Some have slightly different approach..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
majisman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross