Courtney Safaris, My uncle Herman’s Barlow Knife & My Remington 700

Good evening Africa Hunting friends. I have been a member for several years now and occasionally post hunting reports. I have been to Namibia twice and am going again in April with three friends at Uitspan Hunting with Tiene and Michael Duvenhage. I cannot wait! This report is different in that it is about a humble whitetail deer hunt on my small swamp behind my home in Wisconsin. But as I begin I would like to dedicate this report to my new friend, Kawshik Rahman, from Bangladesh. I have been so impressed by his contributions to our AH community that I wanted to thank him in this way. And if imitation is the sincerest form of flattery I am intentionally copying the format of our friend. So dear readers let us begin.

The hunt begins with some notes about equipment for my hunt. The Courtney Safari boots worn during parts the hunt were graciously provided for me by our good friend Ridgewalker. Some may remember that I was agonizing over whether to spend the money on high quality Courtney boots or to be frugal and go with much less expensive brands. Well, Ridgewalker contacted me and had an extra pair in my size and sold them to me at a very inexpensive price. Thank you again—you are incredibly gracious!

The next piece of equipment involves an emotionally meaningful Barlow folding knife. My uncle Herman (son of German immigrants) often took my brothers and me on hunting excursions as a youth. It would be for rabbits or pheasants on a routine basis. But, later in life as Whitetail deer numbers increased in our area of the state of Wisconsin he also took us deer hunting. The last time I saw this Barlow knife it was being used to field dress a deer. I was able to inherit this knife when Herman’s son Ken passed away. It is precious to me.

The third item I would like to mention is my Remington 700 with Leupold scope in 270 Winchester caliber shooting Federal premium 150 grain Nosler Partition bullets. The reason I mention this is because many of the forum members helped talk me through which rifle and ammunition to use in my hunting context of very thick cover and short range. Thank you for your help. It worked to perfection.

After this extensive introduction the actual hunt is quite simple. I hunt from a homemade tree stand located along a creek in my cattail swamp. The afternoon of opening day I had decided to take a doe for venison if the opportunity arose. I have not taken a doe in years as I was always waiting for a buck to come through. But this year I decided I wanted some good venison. In the late afternoon shortly before dark a large doe emerged from the thick cover along the creek. It was about 75 yards away and standing in about the only place where I could get a clear shot. I had a good rest on the edge of my stand and took aim at a slightly quartering towards me shot. The Nosler partition did its job and the doe was down within 5 yards. I climbed out of my stand and found the deer right away. I used my Uncles Barlow knife to field dress the doe, dragged it to a lane and walked out to get my car to get the deer home—only a half mile away. My nephew Karl, brother Kevin and I butchered the deer a few days later. I enjoyed my first steaks a couple of days ago.

I am writing this to illustrate that great hunts are not only the exotic ones. This day happened to be my 63 rd birthday. I had a fantastic time. Many of you helped me to have this wonderful day. Thank you for being supportive of my many questions. You are good friends.

View attachment 318719
@gesh
The Barlow knives of your are a beautiful little knife. In Australia we had a knife called the barlow bunny knife. It was an essential part of of almost every hunters kit. I greatly regret loosing mine and not replacing it as they are hard to get now.
A great story and I'm sure our Friend Kawshik will appreciate it. It is a pity he no longer writes as I miss his stories of yesteryear.
Ob

Gesch
Good heavens ! I am elated that you chose to dedicate an article to me , my American friend . And what an article , it is ! You did not copy me . You have surpassed me in terms of writing . It is my earnest request that you continue writing . This will hopefully be the first of your many adventures to share on this beautiful community with us fellow Shikaris .
Belated Happy Birthday and l can think of no way better to celebrate one's birthday , than a shikar .
Crudeoildude said it best. Sometimes the best Shikars are not in an exotic location in a foreign country , but rather the ones right in our home-land .
Regarding the Remington model 700 bolt operation rifle you used , it is one fine item. I like the .270 Winchester , almost as much as l like the 7 millimeter Remington magnum cartridge . During our time , the telescopic sights from the firm , Weaver were considered to be one of the best .
Your Barlow knife has developed such a wonderful patina.
I always dreamt of owning a Schrade Old Timer Barlow pocket knife myself , in 1095 carbon steel . Like old Poton , l am curious myself as to what firm manufactured your beautiful Barlow knife .
On a related subject , are white - tail deer larger or smaller than a mule deer ?
Kindest regards ,
Your Shikari friend,
Sgt. Kawshik Rahman ( Retd )
@Kawshik Rahman
@major Kahn
Any shikar I'm able to go on with my son or a good friend is a special time for me. To be able to pass on knowledge to my son or share hunting tales with a friend around a campfire make them very special for me. To be able to bag some game even if it's just a humble rabbit is icing on the cake.
HUNTING to me doesn't mean just getting an animal but sharing those times with others I care about.
Bob

Conside it done , Shootist43. Not to mention , a bottle of Old Monk Rum , the finest rum in the world , in my humble experience ( if you drink rum , that is ) .
@Major Khan
My dear friend Poton old monk rum may be nice but you should try our special reserve Bundaberg rum.
Now that is nice.
Your friend and humble reader
Bob

@gesh
The Barlow knives of your are a beautiful little knife. In Australia we had a knife called the barlow bunny knife. It was an essential part of of almost every hunters kit. I greatly regret loosing mine and not replacing it as they are hard to get now.
A great story and I'm sure our Friend Kawshik will appreciate it. It is a pity he no longer writes as I miss his stories of yesteryear.
Ob
Bob, I agree. It would be good to see @Kawshik Rahman write again.
I really enjoyed his tales and writing style. He had some interesting hunts and relayed the stories and the experience well. I was always looking to read his stories and really enjoyed them.
I wish he would start writing here again.

Bob, I agree. It would be good to see @Kawshik Rahman write again.
I really enjoyed his tales and writing style. He had some interesting hunts and relayed the stories and the experience well. I was always looking to read his stories and really enjoyed them.
I wish he would start writing here again.
@CBH
I agree it would also be good having friends@ Major Ponton Kahn and @panther hunter writing again. Alas I can't even get a reply on a PM or by phone from either.
I do hope they are all keeping safe and well and enjoying shikar together.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinayzi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you