Courtney Safari Boots

Bwaybuilder

AH enthusiast
AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa
Courtney Safaris, chocolate brown, UK size 11 which makes them an US 12, I personally think they fit more like a US 11.5, very lightly used, never on Safari, sold by Westley Richard's, $225 shipped and insured in the US.
20221127_154807.jpg
20221127_154859.jpg
20221127_155001.jpg
20221127_154825.jpg
20221127_154940.jpg

Curious, I had an identical pair. Took them on Safari after breaking them in for 12 months in all conditions. I found them to be heavy and terrible arch support. Everyone said get inserts but I thought I am paying $400 only to make the boots work for me? Just curious if you found the same thing…to everyone else this is a great deal if you think they will work for you

How do the sizes on these run? Is that 11.5 on the large or tight size?

Best regards,

UK 11 will be US 11.5 not 12

Just look on the Courtney or Westley Richards sites

The correct US size is 11.5 after checking the website.

Curious, I had an identical pair. Took them on Safari after breaking them in for 12 months in all conditions. I found them to be heavy and terrible arch support. Everyone said get inserts but I thought I am paying $400 only to make the boots work for me? Just curious if you found the same thing…to everyone else this is a great deal if you think they will work for you
I have this same model and never had any problem with the lack of arch support. But I've worn Russell's since the late 90's and they don't have arch support either. I think my feet are rather flat.

Got it. I have heard great things about Russels

Got it. I have heard great things about Russels
I have 5 pairs of them. Two for Safari, one for Mountains and two pairs of loafers for general use. Strongly recommend as I have been using them for almost twenty years. Courtneys hurt my feet and I donated them to a Parks Ranger that is trying to get his PH license this year

I have 5 pairs of them. Two for Safari, one for Mountains and two pairs of loafers for general use. Strongly recommend as I have been using them for almost twenty years. Courtneys hurt my feet and I donated them to a Parks Ranger that is trying to get his PH license this year
my personal opinion, this is about the best thing you can do with a pair of courtneys

In the same way as you get your eyes tested and get the correct prescription glasses so too should you get your feet tested and wear the correct ortho inserts. A high instep could be all wrong, and left and right feet are seldom the same anyway.
At least Courteneys are a neutral starting platform to put the inserts into, buy profiled boots and you are stuck with it.
So, do it right and Courteneys will be good for your feet as well as your soul.

I disagree though kev
If you in for that amount of money they should work and fit day 1. As my salomons do. Maybe they not right for another gents feet
I do think at least 50% of courtneys sales are just the name and not the boots
Ive had a few new pairs left in my camp by clients for phs or staff. Clients wore them for a week and said no thx
Others say they great
One of my PHs gave his gift pair away too

I have hard to fit feet. Left and right are slightly different after injury to left. Insteps and arches are very high. I average about a B width. Here is where it gets odd. The most stable shoes/boots for me for walking or hiking have a flat footbed but not much of a so-called arch support. High arch supports in my footwear for me is like trying to walk on a concave bottom teeter-totter. I know it seems counterintuitive but the way it works for me. The heel bed is narrow enough in Courteneys to keep the heel section from riding up and down on the heel of my foot. The so-called toe box is wide enough to compensate for my high instep and the sole flexes in the right place. These attributes all combine with the all leather break in capability of the Courteney to provide me the best footwear I have. I use a minimal, fairly stiff insert to slightly "cup" the heel bed. Courteneys, for me, also minimize any tendency to roll an ankle- a bad design flaw in a lot of footwear.

Like a light bulb going off... I think I finally figured out the oft quoted issue of the "no arch support" complaint. At first glance it strikes all as counterintuitive. But, thinking out loud do my self, " since I don't walk on my instep, why would I expect a shoe shoe to provide for it." :) Simple walking involves a light heel initial impact followed by full force and weight support with thrust off the ball of the foot. For all the talk of "support is everything" ... well taking that to its logical conclusion would indicate wearing a synthetic, 100% stiff and tight ski boot :)

In the same way as you get your eyes tested and get the correct prescription glasses so too should you get your feet tested and wear the correct ortho inserts. A high instep could be all wrong, and left and right feet are seldom the same anyway.
At least Courteneys are a neutral starting platform to put the inserts into, buy profiled boots and you are stuck with it.
So, do it right and Courteneys will be good for your feet as well as your soul.

Well, one of my feet is half a size smaller than the other. I need a 3mm insert in my left shoe for both of my feet to be level.

With Russell's the sizes are different as measured and I do not need an insert as it is built in. The minute cost difference between the two is well worth it.

Now, I am going to DSC by land and will stop at the bootmaker in Abilene with my girlfriend with some skins and test him out. First pair will be buffalo skin and if it works out then I will have him do another in elephant skin.

I have this same model and never had any problem with the lack of arch support. But I've worn Russell's since the late 90's and they don't have arch support either. I think my feet are rather flat.
I have flat feet and own several pairs of Russells shoes and boots. Since Russells are custom made you can specify the construction and design. For flat feet they have a "wedge heel" that makes the most comfortable footwear available.

Obviously the overriding consideration should be- use the boot that works for you and the one that best matches your desired purpose.

Took me a lifetime to discover this, but if I followed all the advice I've read or heard about WHY footwear works for me or doesn't, I would be wearing (trying to wear) something like the boot pictured below. After all... completely waterproof, super tough penetration protection from bottom of foot to shin, absolute ankle support, compete arch support with molded-in instep, complete sole protection to prevent stone bruises or penetration, guaranteed to never break down or change fit, no break in required because it never will as your foot will have to break into the boot. Checks all the boxes, rings all the bells, blows all the whistles, dots all the Is and crosses all the Ts. The ultimate hunting boot. :):)

41ji2Dx6zUL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

Last edited:
Great deal on a very well-made and iconic African boot.

I wear Courtney boots/shoes regularly. I do have to put insoles in them, but I put insoles in all my shoes. Even shoes that come with comfortable insoles will eventually need the insoles replaced as they will break down with use. My favorites are the Powerstep and they are highly recommended by podiatrists.

Good luck on the sell.

Safe hunting

I would have never owned a pair of those high dollar, status symbol, over priced boots. Playing dress up like an African PH. I did finally buy a pair, worn one time Selous. Damn if I don’t own 3 pair now, along with a pair of shoes….

I am a guy who wore Russels for 25 years (both custom and off the shelf) and ran away from them as soon as I bought my first pair or Courteneys (Selous). Some of you Russel fans missed a real deal at the local Goodwill about ten years ago. :cool: I now own I think five or six different pair to include Courteney's new paddock boot for around the ranch. Unlike Russells which can take months and lots of miles to break-in (at least for me), Courteney's fit perfectly from day one. I have never had a blister.

Courteney is not a mountain boot. For those conditions I wear Kenetrek.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip889

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois