Courteney Selous Classic boots

droneil77

Reaction score
Hi All,

I hunt as much as I can, and in as many places as I can manage. After a lot of research, and a natural interest in the history and hunting of Africa, I purchased a pair of Courteney Selous Classic boots from Jim at @African Sporting Creations. I'm happy I did. First, about the boots: the classics are two tone Cape Buffalo and Impala skin leather, with pure rubber 'tyre' tread. They were soft and comfortable from the start and I can't take them off. These boots are legendary across Africa as the go to for PH footwear (the John Sharp advertisements are the best I think), and for longevity. I've been, and will continue to wear them to hunt, work, walk, hike, etc. To me the value in an item is in its use and eventual wearing out; I look forward to running these boots through their lifetime.

Now the service at African Sporting Creations (ASC): holy smokes these guys bend over backwards for you! I called and ordered what I thought was my size. Jim at ASC recommended I try a few sizes so that I could get the fit right. He promptly sent me two pairs of boots, sized US 10.5 and 11 to try out, with the promise that I would return the unused set once I was happy with fit. I'm normally a 10.5 ish. Well, both turned out a little too big, so Jim sent me a third pair (sized 10 US) which worked out perfectly. I returned the other two back to him once I was happy. Jim made sure I got the size I needed, and didn't hassle me about returning boots at all. He just asked that I send them back when I was done. I'd do business with these guys again in a heartbeat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two pair of the Selous that I wear daily on the farm. Outstanding boots. +1 on Jim and ASC.

Wow and thank you for the kind words. When you have the best customers in the world it is easy to try to do right by them! Glad you love your boots.

A few months ago I scored a pair of used Selous boots for a very reasonable price to try out. I'm not convinced yet that I'll be hunting in them but if nothing else they are a great dress boot and comfortable as heck for everyday wear and in that role I can't see ever wearing them out. ASC may be getting an order from me someday for a brand new pair.

I purchased a pair of Courteney Selous Classic boots a few years ago. I find them to be very comfortable and durable and are my favorite boots. I also have a pair of Vellies. Unfortunately the sole is heavy and stiff, making them feel clunky and hard on the feet. Maybe if I put inserts in them they might feel more comfortable. But still I am thinking of purchasing a pair of Canvas Safari boots, they are good boots.

Did you custom order your Vellies as the standard ripple sole on them in my experience is relativley light and flexible.

I purchased a pair of Courteney Selous Classic boots a few years ago. I find them to be very comfortable and durable and are my favorite boots. I also have a pair of Vellies. Unfortunately the sole is heavy and stiff, making them feel clunky and hard on the feet. Maybe if I put inserts in them they might feel more comfortable. But still I am thinking of purchasing a pair of Canvas Safari boots, they are good boots.
I fit the jelly heel inserts and it completely transforms them into an extremely comfortable boot. So quiet in the bush.

I have a pair of Courntey's that I bought at DSC from Africa sporting Creations. The guys at the ASC booth were awesome and very helpful. My dad and I both bought a pair. I bought the Brown Selous and dad got the two tone Selous they used to have. I really wanted the two tone pair but they didn't have my size in them. I have put around a billion miles on those boots hunting. I learned I cannot wear them for long periods of time in every day life on concrete or they will kill me. Out in the field however, they are amazing. They are the best hunting boot I have ever owned and they are about to need to be re-soled as Ive about worn the sole off of them. That being said they did let me down 1 time. On flat ground and general terrain even rough terrain they are great but..... in mountains not so much. Hunting Hartman's zebra in the mountains of Namibia they just about crippled me. I have never had blisters like that before, I mean to the point it was very painful to walk. I made it through the rest of the trip and fortunately that happened toward the end but I was a hurting unit. I've hunted in them for years and never had that problem even when it required miles and miles of footwork. IDK, maybe it was just the way the loose rocks were up and down mountains for 8 or 10 miles that day that created a unique situation.
There is a guy in Odessa, I think, that makes a similar boot by hand, he's originally from Zimbabwe. I spent quite some time on the phone with him and have decided to give him a try. I have quite a bit of hippo leather and I am going to take it to him to make a set of hunting boots in that style out of but I'm going to pick the sole and padding that I want which will be much better for my feet than the Courtney's are.

I really want a pair of the Chocolate Croc Bushveld's as well as a pair of campfire's in ostrich

Did you custom order your Vellies as the standard ripple sole on them in my experience is relativley light and flexible.
My Vellies are standard with the ripple sole. Don't get me wrong the Vellies are ok. They are just a little heavier than I expected. I had hoped they would be closer in weight with a tennis shoe than the Selous (7oz difference with the Selous and 11oz with my tennis shoe). May not be much but I noticed it. The sole seemed stiff and hard more in the beginning but they also are breaking in.

What I've noticed is I can wear the Selous all day without foot fatigue but not the Vellie. I still want to get a pair of Canvas Safari boots.

Is there a way to determine if my boots are standard or EE width? Are they marked somewhere or can I go by measurement? They're size 13 and didn't come with a box or tags.

Thanks

I have had these Courteney Trackers since 2018 and they are amazingly well made and have seens some miles. I bought mine direct from Zimbabwe. They took 6 months to get here but they are every bit as well made as they are comfortable. Sadly, it looks as though courteney isnt offering them on their websit anymore so I may have to move to another style when I buy more.

They look just as good in the office as they do on the hunt.
1624046133147701875999133894842.jpg

I haven’t bought boots from ASC but have purchased sticks from them. Jim’s a great guy.

Is there a way to determine if my boots are standard or EE width? Are they marked somewhere or can I go by measurement? They're size 13 and didn't come with a box or tags.

Thanks
Should be able to find out from the registration number on the boot. Call ASC and they can help you. I have size 13 medium width. Let me know if you have EE and would prefer a medium width- perhaps we could trade

Hi All,

I hunt as much as I can, and in as many places as I can manage. After a lot of research, and a natural interest in the history and hunting of Africa, I purchased a pair of Courteney Selous Classic boots from Jim at @African Sporting Creations. I'm happy I did. First, about the boots: the classics are two tone Cape Buffalo and Impala skin leather, with pure rubber 'tyre' tread. They were soft and comfortable from the start and I can't take them off. These boots are legendary across Africa as the go to for PH footwear (the John Sharp advertisements are the best I think), and for longevity. I've been, and will continue to wear them to hunt, work, walk, hike, etc. To me the value in an item is in its use and eventual wearing out; I look forward to running these boots through their lifetime.

Now the service at African Sporting Creations (ASC): holy smokes these guys bend over backwards for you! I called and ordered what I thought was my size. Jim at ASC recommended I try a few sizes so that I could get the fit right. He promptly sent me two pairs of boots, sized US 10.5 and 11 to try out, with the promise that I would return the unused set once I was happy with fit. I'm normally a 10.5 ish. Well, both turned out a little too big, so Jim sent me a third pair (sized 10 US) which worked out perfectly. I returned the other two back to him once I was happy. Jim made sure I got the size I needed, and didn't hassle me about returning boots at all. He just asked that I send them back when I was done. I'd do business with these guys again in a heartbeat.
+1 on Jim!!! I have to confess…I had to first break in my Courtney boots before I was happy…but once I did I agree great boots

Jim is one of a kind and the customer service at African Sporting Creations is second to none! I have never had a bad experience with them and will always do my business with them when I can!!

Reactions: WAB
I’ve used Courteney Safari’s for 8 years or so now for work (exploration geologist in Africa) and hunting/ farm work and recently tried the Selous. I must admit they weren’t really for me so I sold them and have just bought a pair of the all brown Patrols. These are amazing boots and when polished up they look really good in the office or on site, and are very comfortable. I couldn’t believe how soft and supple the leather is compared to my Safari’s.

I’ve used Courteney Safari’s for 8 years or so now for work (exploration geologist in Africa) and hunting/ farm work and recently tried the Selous. I must admit they weren’t really for me so I sold them and have just bought a pair of the all brown Patrols. These are amazing boots and when polished up they look really good in the office or on site, and are very comfortable. I couldn’t believe how soft and supple the leather is compared to my Safari’s.
The Bovine Safaris are nice and soft too.

When ever I meet someone else in Courteney boots there is always a momentary unspoken connection, a subtle glint in the eyes or nod of the head, a kindred spirit perhaps, in on the secret that few are privy to.

Reactions: WAB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg