Courteney boots in SA

Tebeaux

Reaction score
I will be going on a Safari to SA in June with the extended family and adding a hunt on the backside. As I am sure many of you have, I have the need for some Courteney Selous boots.

Can anybody tell be if I can get them easily in JH or do I need to go to Zimbabwe? I would prefer to save a few bucks and I would have a while to break them in prior to proper hunting.

Also, I like to wear knee high gators here in the Rockies, the OR or Mountain Hardware nylon type. Are those to noisy for Africa? I don't plan on wearing shorts but could use some wisdom.

Cheers,

Steve

Don't think you will need knee high gators. Most PHs wear ankle length. I bought a pair of hippo leather gators in Pretoria last year.

What if they do not have my size here? What about SA in Port Elizabeth area or Jo-berg?

I went to the factory in Bulawayo last year, they wouldn't sell less than retail to me. I don't think it's worth going out of your way.

if you wear long pants you wont need Gators in SA. The reason the PH's wear short is not for the heat, it's for the noise. Long pants make noise walking thru tall grass, bare legs don't.

if you wear long pants you wont need Gators in SA. The reason the PH's wear short is not for the heat, it's for the noise. Long pants make noise walking thru tall grass, bare legs don't.

and the thorns tear through your skin easier than cloth so you dont get as hooked up.....:E Big Grin:

Don't think you will need knee high gators. Most PHs wear ankle length. I bought a pair of hippo leather gators in Pretoria last year.
not wal-mart????

I went to the factory in Bulawayo last year, they wouldn't sell less than retail to me. I don't think it's worth going out of your way.
jims prices are fair.

Shorts suck when knee crawling thru the rocks and thorns though. I usually wear long pants in Africa. You might notice also that the trackers almost always are wearing either long pants or coveralls with full legs. Yes, the PH will often wear shorts, but if it was that big a deal, he would make his trackers do the same. Trackers and often the PH's smoke on the trail as well unless its a hot trail, but I think too much is made of some of this. Its Africa, not elk hunting in Montana.

Welcome to AH Tebeaux.

I prefer to use long pants when stalking.
In regards to the shoes/boots, I've used Courteney for some time and I love the boot, but the pair I have has a very rugged sole, like a tractor tyre and it collects small stones that get stuck in the sole and makes noise occasionally if I use them on stoney/rocky ground.
I have also have a pair of Rouge boots that has a smoother sole, which works better in other areas, so depending on what kind of ground you will be walking on, it may be wise to check with the PH before you decide which of the Courteneys you choose.
Right gear/tools for the job makes a big difference.

@Divern: I have not seen any store in PE that sells Courteney. Safari and Outdoor has good service and I've used their online service for other equipment and would think they'll be able to help you in the store if you contact them beforehand about sizes etc. They have stores in both Johannesburg and Pretoria.

//Gus

I looked at the current prices for Courtney shoes and find the prices frankly insane. Even the cheapest shoe they sell, The Vellie was almost $200 US. I bought a pair in Bulawayo in '96 for $30US. Still have them and wear them while in Africa but rarely here at home. My PH on my second Zim trip in 2011 called them my farmer shoes! My advice, buy them in Africa somewhere, they will be much less expensive unless you buy them at the Jo airport gift shops like OUT OF AFRICA, my favorite leaving JO shop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg