Courteney Boot Treads

zephyr

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
For you Courteney Boot wearers...
What Tread do you prefer, their Tire tread or Ripple tread and why?
Flexible
Quiet
Traction
Comfort
Thanks..

I got the cleat

1685971573270.png

For you Courteney Boot wearers...
What Tread do you prefer, their Tire tread or Ripple tread and why?
Flexible
Quiet
Traction
Comfort
Thanks..

For quiet, traction, safety, the tire tread is the best for Africa. It is a frustrating tread in America where we have soft wet soil that accumulates in the tread, if you walk in the front door after a bit of time in the woods, a bunch of reverse images of the tread in the form of mud will fall out on your entry rug. grrrrr.

The ripple sole is very comfortable and I have several shoes and one boot with it. It doesn't accumulate mud, but it does not work well in an urban northern climate. The rubber is hard in cold weather and one step on black ice or wet asphalt and you're going to take a tumble.

The cleat sole I think is a bad compromise between the above two.

So pick your poison, no dirt on the soles but falling on your ass in the Walmart parking lot, or 4wd 4x4 traction at all times and a trail of mud behind you.

For hunting, go with the tire tread and apologize to the Mrs for the mess you make at the front door.

Hunted in the rain for 3 days last year for buffalo. Solid rain. Watched my PH ahead of me slipping all over the place with the ripple. My tire treads were solid. That said, the ripple is quieter. No more than I hunt in the African mud, I would guess the ripple would be a better choice

I ordered a set from Courtney with the cleated sole; because I want them for USA and Australia hunting and did so after experiencing some of the same frustrations Rookhawk mentioned with the tread sole.

The other give/take to the tire tread is their ability to pick up small stones and or pieces of concrete and asphalt in an urban environment.

I love my trackers with tread sole but when they get stones caught in them WARNING you can murder hardwood floor finish with your new cramp ons; on the other hand this is good on ice because you can push little stones in the tread intentionally and have improvised cramp ons!

I prefer the ripple, it is quieter.

I much prefer the ripple sole as well...

My wife has a pair with the ripple sole and a pair with the tire tread.. she also prefers the ripple sole..

I have the tire tread and it works very well. Still breaking them in in the high desert of central Oregon. As with most aggressive soles, I imagine they will gain a lot of weight when the ground gets sloppy.

I much prefer the ripple sole as well...

My wife has a pair with the ripple sole and a pair with the tire tread.. she also prefers the ripple sole..
This weekend I was wearing mine in Limpopo walking behind a hunter on point for sable. I particularly noticed that my ripple sole Courteneys were quieter than his hiking style boots, but I didn't notice what type of sole his had.

The ripple soles are mighty slippery on every surface whenever it’s wet , mud , wooddecking , concrete

I really like the tire soles.

I find the tire tread does pick up a lot of gravel where I used them .

I find the tire tread does pick up a lot of gravel where I used them .
I agree they pick up a lot of recycled plant material left behind by antelope as well. When I left the Kalahari I spent a couple of hours cleaning the crap out of the treads so ag didn’t take them and then passing through customs in Dallas they asked what I had in the bag and I said boots and the guy just said have a nice day.

Thanks for all the thoughts..
I think Quiet has as much to do with flexibility as it does rubber compound especially if you're trying not to step on dried Mopani leaves

Both have their place. Hunting in South Africa I mostly wear Vellies or Warriors with the ripple sole. They are lightweight and comfortable, especially in summer.

When it’s wet or when we do a multi day hiking trail I use a pair of Selous with the tyre tread. I’ve traveled Europe a few times with the Selous as well, and can imagine that the ripple sole would be a nightmare when its wet and slippery.

Tyre tread boots are now spreading to other brands
I think I’m going to switch and try some to see what’s different about them
IMG_0366.png
IMG_0365.png
IMG_0271.jpeg

Last edited:
I have miles! on both the cleat and tyre tread. For me not a lot of difference for practicality. The cleat picks up BB size gravel and the tyre picks up pea gravel … but seriously that’s a such a small inconvenience plus I’m not hunting in my living room! :) For comfort I think I slightly favor the tyre tread because IMO it is a little more flexible. Both are quiet. On that “slick”, fine grained sand of the Kalahari I think the tyre tread may have a slight advantage. Never tried the ripple so no opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg