Counterfeit Land Rovers: Who knew?????

Come out with that statement over here and you will be looked at....like did he actually say that?...then either looks of pity...or people rolling around pissing themselves laughing....

:E Rofl: :D Beers:

"willing to bet you'd trade all that posh for a proper older Defender 110. Why, because it's a LR Defender. Period."
@spike.t
If'n it ain't a NISSAN it ain't a real 4x4.
That pommy rubbish they tried to inflict on the Australian colony just can't cut the mustard.
Just try and get a 5 stud landy or range rover rim outside a capital city. It ain't going to happen. You have to wait a week for it to be shipped to you. You can get a Nissan or Toyota rim anywhere.
Bob

Speaking personally, I'd rather have piles than a Defender.

I mean, if you have a Defender you'll probably end up with piles anyway, and even in the us a trip to the doctor is cheaper than a trip to the mechanic if you have a defender...
@Alistair
The reason they were called a Defender is that you are always defending your choice to buy one to your mates.
Ha ha ha ha ha
Patient to doctor
No I didn't get a stuffed back from work, I drive a Land rover.
Bob

Back to the Original Topic...

Full disclosure: I have a Rover that I bought in the UK several years ago. I did not pay six figures.

The reason the US Spec models are so expensive in the US is they did not import that many of them. Any demand with negative supply (not all are still on the road) and prices go up. Everyone but Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren knows that.

Also, this person is a salesman. He is selling his stuff, and is talking down "other stuff" like the Santanas. Anyone who knows anything about Rovers knows the Santana story, and also knows about the crates that were sent to South Africa for assembly and understands the changes that were made for things like the Tithonus.

The reason imports (to the US) tend to be expensive has a lot to do with process:

First, you need to find one that is 25 years old. People are so willing to duck this requirement they have tried changing VIN stamps. These people have been caught, and are ruining things for the rest of us. This also means you still have to wait to get a Td5 here, or a Puma. You're not getting around that one.

When looking at "Older" Land Rovers (or Jaguars, for that matter) you must keep in mind that when a lot of the designs were being designed, marketed, and sold, they were part of a consortium called "British Leyland". British Leyland was owned by the government, and if you think bean counters had too big a role at General Motors, the bean counters at British Leyland brought it to a high art! There were efforts to get around some of the silly strictures (the reason the engine bay is so narrow on an XJS is the Jag engineers knew they wanted to fit the V-12, but Leyland wanted them to use the Rover V-8), but in general... When Margaret Thatcher broke up British Leyland, quality went way up. But the damage had been done, and not even Ford or BMW could fix the inherited problems... Not without far more money than would ever be profitable. And don't get me started on the mistakes Tata has made!

So basically, the Used Car Salesman (i.e. the original video) needs to find an old truck. He will probably want a left hand drive variant with low rust. This will probably send him to Italy or Turkey (but not necessarily) He could find them in Spain, where he would find decent Santanas, but now he has a parts compatibility problem. Avoid Spain, and talk down others who do not. Then, to make it easier to sell, he's probably going to make it "like new". This will involve completely stripping it down, finding any rust/corrosion that is there, and building it back. This will take many man-hours, as well as a high cost in parts. Of course, to keep those man-hours cheap, he's going to want to do the work before it hits US shores.

So now he's got a 10 to 20K euro truck with another who knows how much (50k?) work in to it. This gets even worse when you get to the Arkonik models. And then he's going to sell it for whatever he thinks the market will bear. And there's probably a large margin in there for people who have a great deal of expendable income, combined with what they believe is a sense of adventure, and an understanding of off-roading that probably comes from watching a lot of Marlin Perkins as a kid. Land Rover (at least in the 90s) also had a great marketing campaign (i.e. Camel Trophy), which, like most marketing campaigns, are only tangental to reality.

I have British cars not because I think they are "best", but because I know they will require maintenance, and the requirement for maintenance keeps me alert. I also know a healthy sense of humor is essential to counter panic and fear, and I understand that the reason the Brits drink warm beer is because Lucas makes their refrigerators as well.

On the NAS-ROW Land Rover forum, there is a thread in the "General" area called "Land Rovers that Suck". It makes for entertaining reading.

Informative and matches my experience.

What is the best current production alternative for a Defender?

I can’t imagine what we Norte Americanos need a vehicle to do that an F-150, RAM or Silverado won’t do. Need something more compact to bash about the woods? Then a 4Runner, Tacoma, Colorado or Ranger might be your cup of tea. None of these have the cool factor of a Land Rover or Land Cruiser. I’m seriously hankering for a vintage Land Cruiser. This one is on eBay. Sigh.

B10196CC-C7B7-4919-BFC2-9F9E63821D0E.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, my Joburg car is a Suzuki Jimny - I am so impressed with this little thing. Take a look underneath, it is snap to a Series 1 Landy.

I can’t imagine what we Norte Americanos need a vehicle to do that an F-150, RAM or Silverado won’t do. Need something more compact to bash about the woods? Then a 4Runner, Tacoma, Colorado or Ranger might be your cup of tea. None of these have the cool factor of a Land Rover or Land Cruiser. I’m seriously hankering for a vintage Land Cruiser. This one is on eBay. Sigh.

View attachment 469844

I’ve driven pickups and FJ-40’s most of my adult life. No way any pickup ever made can do what an FJ40 can do. Weight distribution is just all wrong for serious off-road work.

I’ve driven pickups and FJ-40’s most of my adult life. No way any pickup ever made can do what an FJ40 can do. Weight distribution is just all wrong for serious off-road work.
My point exactly. I know where to buy a pickup, it's just not what I want

An old Willie pick up can do the job that any FJ can do and then some.

Actually I agree. The FJs are supremely capable machines. Much more off road capable than any pickup. I watched a PH and team load a whole Cape Buffalo in the relay of a Land Cruiser and drive back to camp. I doubt any pickup short of a full ton could have done that. My point is….hardly any of us here in the States utilize a fraction of that capability. Plus, with the price of them skyrocketing like it has, I’d think long and hard about doing any serious off roading with one.

Actually I agree. The FJs are supremely capable machines. Much more off road capable than any pickup. I watched a PH and team load a whole Cape Buffalo in the relay of a Land Cruiser and drive back to camp. I doubt any pickup short of a full ton could have done that. My point is….hardly any of us here in the States utilize a fraction of that capability. Plus, with the price of them skyrocketing like it has, I’d think long and hard about doing any serious off roading with one.
@Doug3006
Having a 4x4 and not taking it off road is like having a rifle and not hunting with it. A bit of a waste of time.
Why buy a watchdog and bark yourself

By the way, my Joburg car is a Suzuki Jimny - I am so impressed with this little thing. Take a look underneath, it is snap to a Series 1 Landy.

It’s a baby landy.I have a Samurai with coil suspension,,mule test before the Jimmy,amazing for its matchbox size

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcdowall

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!