Could one machine a rear island?

Hall

AH member
Reaction score
Odd idea popped into my head at work last night. Figured I'd see if someone has already done it... could someone machine a rear island into picitinny rail? It's odd, but hear me out. A micro red dot like the aimpoint t1 could be picked up super fast and it'd be much lighter than the large red dots that utilizes scope rings, and it'd be easier on aging eyes that iron sights. Has this been done? If not, is there a mechanical reason or just a purely aesthetic one?

Several manufacturers make picatinny adapters for reflex and small tube red dots already. No need to machine the rail again to use a different attachment system.

The concept you're talking about is well established in the handgun world. Micro red dots work best when located as close as possible to the bore. This Glock went to the MOS design after custom gunsmith had been milling slides for several years. Most serious manufacturers now have designs in which the mount is milled into the slide.

The trouble with picatinny adapters is that they add so much height to the red dot that you may as well simply use a scope..

However, with rifles another, more critical factor comes into play: stock design. Stock design will determine the height at which your eye will line up with whatever sight system you have. Some stocks naturally align your eye with iron sights low on the barrel, some align with the center of a 30mm tube, some are a compromise etc. Work out where your stock aligns your eye and that's the height your red dot needs to be at irrespective of mounting system.

Several manufacturers make picatinny adapters for reflex and small tube red dots already. No need to machine the rail again to use a different attachment system.
Could you point me in the right direction? I'm having trouble finding them.

Could you point me in the right direction? I'm having trouble finding them.
What are specifically trying to attach to what? Aimpoint to CZ550? Vortex Viper to Glock? Romeo 5 to AR15?

What are specifically trying to attach to what? Aimpoint to CZ550? Vortex Viper to Glock? Romeo 5 to AR15?
An aimpoint t1 to the rear sight assembly of a large rifle. I currently have a CZ 550 but in particular I was wondering if it's possible with a single square bridge mauser action.

Last edited:
Not sure about the aimpoint, but AHR makes mounts for the trijicon and some others. Look around on the forum for some examples.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-28 at 6.21.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-28 at 6.21.11 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 32
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-28 at 6.21.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-28 at 6.21.12 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
Not sure about the aimpoint, but AHR makes mounts for the trijicon and some others. Look around on the forum for some examples.

I think we are misunderstanding eachother. That's one of the dovetail slots. I'm referring to the island that houses the rear iron sight.

I think we are misunderstanding eachother. That's one of the dovetail slots. I'm referring to the island that houses the rear iron sight.
Ah, then you are looking for something more like what Frederik has:

I mean mounting here

Attachments

• 20230127_160521.jpg
    20230127_160521.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 39
20F56121-C123-40E5-8235-B2AFF62F3411.jpeg

works every time, 40% of the time!

Ah, then you are looking for something more like what Frederik has:

Exactly like that! Awesome, thank you so much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaBlohm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!