Costs to hunt Thomson's Gazelle in Tanzania

greyfox

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Good Morning,
My wife and I were at an animal park recently and I saw a Thomson's Gazelle, (aka Tommy) which, to me looks exactly like my springbuck, but with straight horns,
I decided I want one, just one, just because.
Therefore, when my wife wasn't looking,(Too many other things planned,,,) I googled it and discovered they are hunted in Tanzania and Southern Ethiopia

BUT When I look a the costs of Tanzania and Ethiopia - WOW!!! For a Gazelle? Trophy fees in Texas are like $7,000 US !!

Why is it so expensive, compared to other countries? Someone please explain it to me other than supply and demand, please.

Government license and minimum day requirements. Those two countries are super expensive.

I've never been, but echo what @LivingTheDream says as well as logistical costs and running remote camps. I believe there are 1 or 2 TZ operators on tis site that may be able to fill in the blanks for us.

Hi guys - this came to me right as I am leaving to my camps in Tanzania to start the season. The cost issue revolves mainly around the fact that these are wild animals in wilderness areas in 3rd world Africa (no game farms no private ownership). It is expensive to operate and the government gets a lot of the money to keep these wild areas intact. The licensing structure is also very different from south africa and Namibia.

A Tanzania safari used to be over a month in duration now you usually come for 10, 14, 21 days but it is still remote hunting and usually a mixed bag of animals with at least one of the big 5, many times 2, 3 or 4 of the big 5 are taken on a Tanzania Safari. The licensing system makes it expensive to come and hunt one animal, unlike RSA where you can pop in for a day shoot a blesbuck and a zebra and then Tee-off for 18 holes the next morning.

In Tanzania the safari is a wilderness adventure that takes time to conduct, it is worth the money if you want to see wild Africa and/or if you want to hunt a buffalo or leopard or lion OR lion and leopard and buffalo then you will not find a better place to do so. Along the way you can take animals like the Tommy and Grants Gazelle - croc and hippo - sable roan and many others. Then it is not only the best hunting in Africa but the best hunting for your buck.

Thank you for the explanation Bullet.

I would love one too, don't feel bad. It's on the bucket list!

Greyfox,
I have the same desire. That is to just hunt plains game like the gazelles in Tanzania. I too looked at the costs. So many fees you have to have a calculator handy!
I'll have to save my coins because I have to go there someday.
Regards,
Philip

Phil, Maybe we'll save our coins together and meet in Tanzania someday!

Guys, I've hunted Tanzania plenty of times. There's a couple of outfitters offering 7 - 10 day PG hunts for the Masailand / EA species, to include licenses necessary to hunt some / all of these species. They of course are not cheap, but they are much cheaper than a full - blown 21 day safari. Most of the areas are fairly close to Arusha - thus expensive charters are not necessary either, just a simple vehicle transfer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross