Wade J VanGinkel

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Just returned from my first fishing trip to costa rica.
Spent 2 full days fishing along with other things.
First day was totally wasted chasing rooster fish with no bites at all. Another captain told me the next day they hadn't been hitting for over a week due to the heat.
First boat blew an engine 2 miles out the second day so we limped back and got put on a different boat. Only caught 3 fish but lost 6 other bites that just didn't hook up.
All in all a great time for a 6 day off vacation.
If I ever go again it'll be earlier before the heat is quite so bad though.

20200316_102358.jpg
20200316_190101.jpg
20200316_111547.jpg

20200316_102506.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like you and the Mrs. shared in some outdoor fun. Thanks for the write-up and pics.

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

What a grand time with the kids (all ages including you Wade!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:)

Great Mahi Mahi. Bet it tasted good too. Which city did you fish out of? Other than go earlier any other advice?
Bruce

That looks like a great time Wade - I've always wanted to get down there and do some fishing!

What part of Costa Rica you fish out of Wade? Nice mix of fish.

Nice fish!

We fished out of quepos,
Advice would be to go several weeks earlier. A little cooler. Maybe 10 degrees but it would help.
Wasted a day fishing roosters with no bites at all

Wow, very nice sails, and a whopper of a dolphin! did you guys keep the dolphin or it's catch and release??? I was born in Nicaragua, and have fished San Juan del Sur which is not too far from the norther part of Costa rica. You go out less than a mile, and you are already in blue water catching tuna, rooster fish & dolphin. Congrats on a beautiful trip.

Wow, very nice sails, and a whopper of a dolphin! did you guys keep the dolphin or it's catch and release??? I was born in Nicaragua, and have fished San Juan del Sur which is not too far from the norther part of Costa rica. You go out less than a mile, and you are already in blue water catching tuna, rooster fish & dolphin. Congrats on a beautiful trip.
He's half eaten already!
We froze and packed the rest in our checked bag with no problems. About 20 pounds.
We were at least 15 miles out. Some boats hit tuna but we didn't

Our inshore day he should have switched us to bottom bouncing for different fish. We wanted roosters but he never told us the bite was off for over a week.
On another note, if you beach walk for shells airport security will take them away if they spot them. Apparently illegal and I didn't know. I had in my carryon so they spotted them.
No problems but they confiscated

You're looking at about 1400 to 1600 per day for a 40ft+ boat with a cabin. But far more comfortable for a group and kids.
I also found a 3 bedroom hotel for 250 per night 10 minute walk from the beach in manuel antonio

I fished the same area took a 3 pc casting rod and some baits and hit snook, barracuda, bluefish and roosters in the surf. Locals gave me a hard time until they saw 24” snook blow out on a top water. Off the rocks at Manuel Antonio surf.

We fished out of quepos,
Advice would be to go several weeks earlier. A little cooler. Maybe 10 degrees but it would help.
Wasted a day fishing roosters with no bites at all

I fished two days out of six last year in Zancudo near Golfito with zero Rooster. This year I took my oldest son(26) for the first time and he caught a Rooster before I even tried. So I could not let that stand, and finally connected on two Rooster. My first, well, it was a Rooster but my son said it was just hatched. My second, a little more respectable. We have a crew that goes every Feb to Zancudo Lodge. Highly recommend!
IMG_1626.JPG
IMG_1681.JPG

Well done Mort. Pound for pound those guys fight like if they were 100 Lbs. Loved catching them on top water lures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeithustKew

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg