Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Republic of CongoNamibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(4) New Zealand Zambia(2)
Next April the wife and I will celebrate our 40th anniversary. We have decided to spend some time in Costa Rica to celebrate. She is taking a photo class for a week or so which gives me a week to fish. Thats if I can find something that sounds good for a reasonable cost. Looking for suggestions from those of you that may of been there and done that. I know there are good as well as bad charters. Reasonable as well as expensive options. Suggestions are welcome.
Thanks Bruce

You might want to talk to @lwaters about fishing next door in Nicaragua. Float plane leaves out of Costa Rica for the lodge if I’m not mistaken.

We'll fly into San Jose and I can travel from there. Sounds like the Caribbean side has a lot estuary snook and tarpon fishing. The Pacific has more of the roosterfish/sailfish/marlin/tuna if I have things right. I'm looking to fish what I can for under $4K or so. I have done some saltwater fishing, but these are new species for me. Been out once for sailfish and no bites......
Bruce

Bruce, I have only fished the Caribbean side for tarpon, but it was excellent. The lodge we fished out of is actually in Nicaragua, but they charter you to the lodge via San Jose. Near as I can remember, it cost us $3k per person(charter included) for 4 days of fishing. 4 days is plenty if you go at the right time of year.

Here's the link to their website:
http://therioindiolodge.com/

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the link. I'll get an e-mail off to them.
Bruce

Bruce, check out Yellow Dog Flyfishing Adventures out of Bozeman, MT. They represent a number of great fishing lodges in Costa Rica and can make planning your trip a breeze.

While you’re there, head up to the Tabacon Resort for a night or two. You can have a cocktail as you sit at a bar in a stream heated by the volcano while you watch the peak glowing orange! Your wife should really like it. Great photo ops as well.

Here’s the link to Yellow Dog’s lodges in CR - https://www.yellowdogflyfishing.com/destinations/fly-fishing-costa-rica

By the way, our son is the Director of Marketing at Yellow Dog. They’ll take great care of you!

They caught a 175 pound tarpon today at Rio Indio. I got a picture on messenger. Try to figure out how to get it here

They caught a 175 pound tarpon today at Rio Indio. I got a picture on messenger. Try to figure out how to get it here
It was caught today.
received_2064422686953794.jpeg

I just cancelled a trip this last week to Costa Rica because of work commitments, my friends however did make the trip .

We were targeting mainly Tarpon , however 1 of my group has caught Marlin and Rooster fish there on a few occasions before.

The reports from them have been amazing, with on some days 30 Tarpon hook ups .

Enjoy Costa Rica

I have fished the pacific side 3 times for billfish aka sailfish and marlin in feb. It is an amazing fishery for those species best day 2 of us landed 14 worst day 9. Never fished inshore for rooster, etc but I am told it is good. Your wife may like the pacific side better as it is much more "tourist developed resorts, etc. The caribean side is inshore Tarpon mecca. The run to the billfish is long 30-40 miles offshore. All day offshore isn't a cake walk if you haven't fish much offshore will you and your wife be ok with the costa sun and it can get rough??
as they say in costa Pure Vida! if you need more info PM me.

Catching some snook in the river at Rio Indio.
Screenshot_20181013-145820.jpeg

Looks like fun to me....
Bruce

You got to look around when your down at the dock
Screenshot_20181013-193200.jpeg

Just returned from our second year fishing at The Zancudo Lodge in Golfito. I can not say enough. Best of the best. Contact Gregg Mufson and you won’t regret. Best staff and captains, lodging, boats and equipment, meals, and of course fishing.
IMG_0844.JPG
IMG_0285.JPG
IMG_0357.JPG
IMG_0356.JPG
IMG_0320.JPG

The Los Suenos area on the Pacific side is great for billfish and tuna. Have chartered with Epic and Hoos Your Daddy. Both good options. Very nice resort and marina.

Any report on how things went?
I've booked my whole family for March 2020 in quepos. 2 days fishing. In shore and offshore with queposfishadventures due to recommendations on a saltwater forum. First trip so hoping for the best.

This is a great thread! Lots of good info! I only hope I get a chance at Costa Rica! Done lots of kayak fishing in Florida, Colorado, Wyoming and once in Oregon, but none as exciting as CR!
Looking forward to everyone’s reports (hint, hint!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross