Costa Rica fishing info needed

Discussion in 'Fishing Worldwide' started by gillettehunter, Oct 11, 2018.

1. gillettehunter

gillettehunter AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(2) New Zealand
    Next April the wife and I will celebrate our 40th anniversary. We have decided to spend some time in Costa Rica to celebrate. She is taking a photo class for a week or so which gives me a week to fish. Thats if I can find something that sounds good for a reasonable cost. Looking for suggestions from those of you that may of been there and done that. I know there are good as well as bad charters. Reasonable as well as expensive options. Suggestions are welcome.
    Thanks Bruce

2. PHOENIX PHIL

PHOENIX PHIL AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    You might want to talk to @lwaters about fishing next door in Nicaragua. Float plane leaves out of Costa Rica for the lodge if I’m not mistaken.

3. lil 2 sleepy

lil 2 sleepy AH Member

Hunted:
    South Africa,Argentina, ON Canada, USA- AR,GA,IL,KS,MO,MS,NC,OK,SC,VA,WY

4. gillettehunter

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    We'll fly into San Jose and I can travel from there. Sounds like the Caribbean side has a lot estuary snook and tarpon fishing. The Pacific has more of the roosterfish/sailfish/marlin/tuna if I have things right. I'm looking to fish what I can for under $4K or so. I have done some saltwater fishing, but these are new species for me. Been out once for sailfish and no bites......
    Bruce

5. jasyblood

jasyblood BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Dallas Safari Club
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA(Limpopo x 3, Eastern Cape x 1, Northern Cape x 1, Northwest x 1), Hungary, Serbia, Zimbabwe
    Bruce, I have only fished the Caribbean side for tarpon, but it was excellent. The lodge we fished out of is actually in Nicaragua, but they charter you to the lodge via San Jose. Near as I can remember, it cost us $3k per person(charter included) for 4 days of fishing. 4 days is plenty if you go at the right time of year.

Here's the link to their website:
    http://therioindiolodge.com/

Hope this helps.

6. gillettehunter

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Thanks for the link. I'll get an e-mail off to them.
    Bruce

jasyblood likes this.

7. GL1960

GL1960 New Member

Video/Photo:
    Bruce, check out Yellow Dog Flyfishing Adventures out of Bozeman, MT. They represent a number of great fishing lodges in Costa Rica and can make planning your trip a breeze.

While you’re there, head up to the Tabacon Resort for a night or two. You can have a cocktail as you sit at a bar in a stream heated by the volcano while you watch the peak glowing orange! Your wife should really like it. Great photo ops as well.

Here’s the link to Yellow Dog’s lodges in CR - https://www.yellowdogflyfishing.com/destinations/fly-fishing-costa-rica

By the way, our son is the Director of Marketing at Yellow Dog. They’ll take great care of you!

8. lwaters

lwaters BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Texas,Namibia,Kansas, Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, South Africa, New Zealand
    They caught a 175 pound tarpon today at Rio Indio. I got a picture on messenger. Try to figure out how to get it here

9. lwaters

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Texas,Namibia,Kansas, Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, South Africa, New Zealand
    It was caught today. received_2064422686953794.jpeg

jasyblood likes this.

10. bassasdaindia

bassasdaindia AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    I just cancelled a trip this last week to Costa Rica because of work commitments, my friends however did make the trip .

We were targeting mainly Tarpon , however 1 of my group has caught Marlin and Rooster fish there on a few occasions before.

The reports from them have been amazing, with on some days 30 Tarpon hook ups .

Enjoy Costa Rica

11. Buckdog

Buckdog AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    I have fished the pacific side 3 times for billfish aka sailfish and marlin in feb. It is an amazing fishery for those species best day 2 of us landed 14 worst day 9. Never fished inshore for rooster, etc but I am told it is good. Your wife may like the pacific side better as it is much more "tourist developed resorts, etc. The caribean side is inshore Tarpon mecca. The run to the billfish is long 30-40 miles offshore. All day offshore isn't a cake walk if you haven't fish much offshore will you and your wife be ok with the costa sun and it can get rough??
    as they say in costa Pure Vida! if you need more info PM me.

12. lwaters

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Catching some snook in the river at Rio Indio. Screenshot_20181013-145820.jpeg

13. gillettehunter

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Looks like fun to me....
    Bruce

14. lwaters

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    You got to look around when your down at the dock Screenshot_20181013-193200.jpeg