Cost for a 28 day full bag hunt in Tanzania

The landscape seems to have changed very badly.

I didn't see any elephants back then. The population is said to have decreased drastically during and after the railway Dar es Salaam-Lusaka was built. Why ? There was only guesswork.

Interesting. The railroad would have been built running through the Kilombero area around 1968-1969. I believe that many of the elephants in the valley used to spread out throughout the Selous during the rains, then congregate again in the dry season.

The Chinese built the railroad with Chinese labor. Not sure why Nyerere allowed this, but they had numerous armed guards carrying AK47's. Perhaps that had something to do with the lack of elephants. The great agricultural land and population increases have probably also had an effect.

Thanks again for your photos!

I was at the Houston Safari Club on Saturday. Much, much smaller show that DSC. Bumped into a few other AH gentleman hunters: @tarbe , @Bullthrower338 , @ActionBob and @Dave Hawkins. Oh yea, @John Sharp too.

I sat down with an outfitter from Tanz and we discussed a buffalo hunt. The outfitter was candid about the situation in Tanz, saying a lot of concessions come up for auction at the end of 2021.

In case anyone was wondering what a 1x1, 28 day, lion, leopard and full bag hunt costs..............wait for it...........$118k. Charter flight not included in that price, which makes it a deal breaker for me. :whistle:
That’s why I’m hoping to just hunt PG in Massailand in the coming years.

Greeting to all. I am excited to see so much talk about Tanzania!
There is some good information and thoughts on this thread and then some misguided ideas and comments, no time to debate each point as I feel it is beyond me to change perceptions. However, I wish to add my 2 cents for what it’s worth.

my thoughts:
-Comparing a safaris in the wilderness for almost a month hunting lion, leopard and multiple buffalo TO a 7 day ranch hunt going for impala and plains game, is about as productive as comparing Sweden to the Sudan. They are both countries... I guess?
-The comments on the validity of these areas/safaris (from a conservation aspect) to preserve and protect habitat is much appreciated and a reality of the situation in Africa.
-Regardless of the cost, these type of safaris being an option to hunters is a privileged opportunity that should not be taken for granted. These safaris are preserving what we all like about the idea of Old Africa and the adventure of a 'Safari'.

my advice:
-Hunt Africa’s wilderness ASAP – these areas are fast disappearing and your support as a hunter now is needed now more than ever.
-Shop PH; Shop the Animals you want; Shop Experience - Do Not Shop Price. Plan ahead and be clear about what you want and what you can spend. Once you get all the facts you can decide for yourself, but remember you can never turn an Apple into an Orange regardless of what the brochure says.
-See it while you can, experience it while you can (the maps posted make me sad and are very telling of the end game for wild places and animals). Who knows with more support it may hang around for your kids to see.

my opinion:
-Tanzania is not a cheap hunt, I hear a little ‘sticker shock’ from some prices/outfits, but I don't hear regret from the hunters who have been there. This is not a ranch hunt... the price and experience is not the same, nor should it be.
-Tanzania is the best overall value and safari experience, I have hunted most Southern African countries and this is my first hand conclusion as a Hunter as a PH and as an American used to free range pursuit.
-Tanzania is immediately within the reach of many (regardless of the price), but each person on this site can afford it if they want it and stick to a plan of working towards it. If you talk to those who have paid for various types of safaris MOST will encourage you to save for this type of adventure.

Greeting to all. I am excited to see so much talk about Tanzania!
There is some good information and thoughts on this thread and then some misguided ideas and comments, no time to debate each point as I feel it is beyond me to change perceptions. However, I wish to add my 2 cents for what it’s worth.

my thoughts:
-
Comparing a safaris in the wilderness for almost a month hunting lion, leopard and multiple buffalo TO a 7 day ranch hunt going for impala and plains game, is about as productive as comparing Sweden to the Sudan. They are both countries... I guess?
-The comments on the validity of these areas/safaris (from a conservation aspect) to preserve and protect habitat is much appreciated and a reality of the situation in Africa.
-Regardless of the cost, these type of safaris being an option to hunters is a privileged opportunity that should not be taken for granted. These safaris are preserving what we all like about the idea of Old Africa and the adventure of a 'Safari'.

my advice:
-Hunt Africa’s wilderness ASAP – these areas are fast disappearing and your support as a hunter now is needed now more than ever.
-Shop PH; Shop the Animals you want; Shop Experience - Do Not Shop Price. Plan ahead and be clear about what you want and what you can spend. Once you get all the facts you can decide for yourself, but remember you can never turn an Apple into an Orange regardless of what the brochure says.
-See it while you can, experience it while you can (the maps posted make me sad and are very telling of the end game for wild places and animals). Who knows with more support it may hang around for your kids to see.

my opinion:
-
Tanzania is not a cheap hunt, I hear a little ‘sticker shock’ from some prices/outfits, but I don't hear regret from the hunters who have been there. This is not a ranch hunt... the price and experience is not the same, nor should it be.
-Tanzania is the best overall value and safari experience, I have hunted most Southern African countries and this is my first hand conclusion as a Hunter as a PH and as an American used to free range pursuit.
-Tanzania is immediately within the reach of many (regardless of the price), but each person on this site can afford it if they want it and stick to a plan of working towards it. If you talk to those who have paid for various types of safaris MOST will encourage you to save for this type of adventure.

Fantastic post!!!

Two of my biggest pet peeves are hit head on:

1. "It's more expensive than SA." Yes it is. And it's no where close to the same either. Like it or not we all have to pay more for nicer things. If you don't like that it is more expensive don't hunt there. Problem solved. And for the record, I'm in no way disparaging SA or farms. They serve a purpose. I've hunted farms before and I'm sure I will again.
  2. "I can't afford it." This is usually, not always, a choice. If someone has spent $60K on taxidermy and tell me they can't afford a $60k hunt I roll my eyes. :rolleyes: It isn't that they can't afford it, they chose not to and did something else with that money. Which is fine, just be straight forward about it. I much prepare to hear someone say it just isn't high enough on their priority list.
And if you want to hunt the wild areas definitely do it while you can! They are becoming less and less, and therefore more and more expensive.

Thank you for chiming in Nathan @Bullet Safaris ! It my seem self serving of you by some, but from everything I've researched so far, you hit the nail on the head and give an honest assessment.

@Royal27 I'm not so sure it really is more expensive. Price out a lion, leopard (which you cannot even get a tag to hunt in RSA), 3 or 4 buffalo, elephant, hippo, croc, wild sable and Roan (again, good luck finding wild ones in RSA, but even price the farmed ones) hyena, honey badger, the few tiny ten available, and about 20 other antelopes. Then try to hunt them on un-ending sized property with no year round human inhabitants (can't find that in RSA).

I've hunted a lot in RSA. In fact I am down to only a few animals even available there, especially the indigenous ones.

I'm not saying to not hunt RSA. Just don't begrudge Tanzania or hunters hunting it without trying to understand it.

I think most hunters chasing these classes of animals are doing one or two big costly animals at a time, plus a few PG or other species. Stringing it out over many years. I get that. It somewhat self budgets not only the money but also the time. It also takes many flights over. Many dip and pack or taxidermy orders, many shipments, many brokerage fees, many delivery costs to your door. It all adds up if you look at it completely and comprehensively.

So yes you are facing the full experience all at once in one big package rather than split our over at least 3 and more likely 4 or 5 separate hunts. But what an experience;)

Thank you for chiming in Nathan @Bullet Safaris ! It my seem self serving of you by some, but from everything I've researched so far, you hit the nail on the head and give an honest assessment.

@Royal27 I'm not so sure it really is more expensive. Price out a lion, leopard (which you cannot even get a tag to hunt in RSA), 3 or 4 buffalo, elephant, hippo, croc, wild sable and Roan (again, good luck finding wild ones in RSA, but even price the farmed ones) hyena, honey badger, the few tiny ten available, and about 20 other antelopes. Then try to hunt them on un-ending sized property with no year round human inhabitants (can't find that in RSA).

I've hunted a lot in RSA. In fact I am down to only a few animals even available there, especially the indigenous ones.

I'm not saying to not hunt RSA. Just don't begrudge Tanzania or hunters hunting it without trying to understand it.

I think most hunters chasing these classes of animals are doing one or two big costly animals at a time, plus a few PG or other species. Stringing it out over many years. I get that. It somewhat self budgets not only the money but also the time. It also takes many flights over. Many dip and pack or taxidermy orders, many shipments, many brokerage fees, many delivery costs to your door. It all adds up if you look at it completely and comprehensively.

So yes you are facing the full experience all at once in one big package rather than split our over at least 3 and more likely 4 or 5 separate hunts. But what an experience;)

Great point and agree. "Expensive" is probably the wrong word to use. More money at once is a better way to say it. It's all rolled into one and likely, but not certainly, less time in the field (but oh what a field it is!!!!!).

I for one would be willing to give up several years of other hunts to do Tanzania once. And, now that you've clarified the expense part I can even tell the wife what a great deal I'm getting! :whistle:

Great point and agree. "Expensive" is probably the wrong word to use. More money at once is a better way to say it. It's all rolled into one and likely, but not certainly, less time in the field (but oh what a field it is!!!!!

I for one would be willing to give up several years of other hunts to do Tanzania once. And, now that you've clarified the expense part I can even tell the wife what a great deal I'm getting! :whistle:

Value! Tanzania is probably the best value in Africa (I write "probably" because my experience with other African countries is limited). Especially if you go through Nathan and Bullet Safaris.

This is a great thread, but we could go on for several pages and not do it justice. It's that good. Looking back on my hunt, it's like waking from a really good dream, then trying to capture that feeling for someone else. Most people won't get it. It's not their fault, it's just that their circle doesn't overlap mine, and may never overlap.

And if you want to hunt the wild areas definitely do it while you can! They are becoming less and less, and therefore more and more expensive.

This is exactly why I chose Tanzania for my first safari and am looking very hard at Mozambique for my second. With the staggering population growth that's going on in Africa her wild places are rapidly becoming smaller. I have absolutely nothing against the less expensive hunts and if I don't run out of time or money I most certainly will go to South Africa. I simply believe that the last safari hunting available will be on the farms in South Africa so for me those hunts can wait. Cost wise a 10 day buffalo and plains game safari with a charter in and out is still available in Tanzania for less money than a new 4WD pickup.

I will never regret making the decision to hunt Tanzania and would do it again.

My old dad had a couple of good pearls of wisdom.. "You can always find the time to do the things you really want to do", and "you can always find the money for the things you really want".

I have the price list. I am wondering if the 2x1 price is for splitting the full bag.

View attachment 327419

No, 2 x 1 will be the cost per hunter sharing one PH but each will have their own license and quota to hunt. You get an option called a 2x1 companion hunt where 2 hunters share the available animals on one license

Here's my beef with Tanzania and to an extent Zambia as well. The current prices are astronomical for what you get. Let me explain:

5 years ago for $40,000-$85,000 you got a 28 day Tanzania safari with fully exportable animals and the US FWS authorized their import.

Today, 5 years later, the price for that same safari should be 1/4th the price. Why? A.) The game is ambigiously importable at this point and should be priced no different than a cull hunt. B.) Due to the lack of import certainty, funding in Tanzania has gone down hill and thus safari areas have lower quality game, this in turn makes any future scenario with USFWS proving "positive conservation impact" of a hunt dubious at best. Zambia is to a lesser extent, the same thing.

Zimbabwe on the other hand, has seen a precipitous decline in hunting prices with the "risk premium" you'll ever get your trophies baked in. A non-exportable cull hunt for dangerous game versus a fully exportable (but not US importable) hunt are pretty close to one another in price.

That's the rub. The prices of Zambia and Tanzania have not deflated to an appropriate level considering the uncertainty of importation. I believe there are nearly 30 Tanzanian lion import permits at USFWS going back 7 years, unapproved? The $85,000 Tanzanian lion hunt could have been a $10,000 Zimbabwean non-exportable lion hunt in light of the similar US import barriers for both locations.

he prices of Zambia and Tanzania have not deflated to an appropriate level considering the uncertainty of importation.

Or..... Perhaps the hunts are still being sold at the higher price and therefore no need to discount? :E Hmmm:It isn't lack of importation that drops the price after all, its the lack of hunters.

I know the number of hunters in Zim (ele in particular) has dropped. I don't know that about Tan/Zam. Would love to see that data.

Or..... Perhaps the hunts are still being sold at the higher price and therefore no need to discount? :E Hmmm:It isn't lack of importation that drops the price after all, its the lack of hunters.

I know the number of hunters in Zim (ele in particular) has dropped. I don't know that about Tan/Zam. Would love to see that data.

Thats one reasonable conclusion. Another would be: Supply remains the same, demand is far less, but priced-in minimums by the government are not adjustable, thus even if only 10% as many customers show up, prices cannot be reduced.

Thats one reasonable conclusion. Another would be: Supply remains the same, demand is far less, but priced-in minimums by the government are not adjustable, thus even if only 10% as many customers show up, prices cannot be reduced.

Like I said, I'd love to see the data.

If I won the lottery, I would absolutely hunt nothing but the truly wild places! Sadly my limited funds keep me in the high fenced locations.
I still have dreams of going at least once to the truly wild far out locations! May still happen. One never knows.

well there you have it. If money were no object and I had all the time in the world then I would spend about two months a year in the wildest areas of Africa. I keep asking my wife kindly to win the lottery! She says “ you have to play to win”.

That $118K price is not that bad if you look at it a la carte. My 14 day Leopard/Buffalo hunt this year with some PG for bait etc. will be $38K. Now, if I were to do a 21 day lion/buffalo next year, that's $61K before bait animals. Add an elephant the following year... You get the picture.

The only difference is that the total number of hunting days is much more when the hunting is done individually rather than all at once. Though you do save on air fares if doing a full bag vs breaking it down to multiple years.

Try Botswana. Plains game at amazing prices. Ele just opened up. Contact Gerard Koch at kochsafaris.com or pm me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross