Corey Knowlton Texas hunter bags his rhino on controversial hunt in Namibia

Yep...There tax returns are public record.

Congratulations to Corey for putting up the $350k for this hunt, and for sticking with it.

The money from Corey's hunt will probably do more for the plight of the black rhinos than everything that all of the antis have ever done.

Congratulations to Corey for putting up the $350k for this hunt, and for sticking with it.

The money from Corey's hunt will probably do more for the plight of the black rhinos than everything that all of the antis have ever done.
And what have they ever done? The money those types of organizations raise goes to advertising and payroll. There only agenda is to stop hunting not helping wildlife.

Rhino Hunter Culls Problem Bull in Namibia

DALLAS - Seventeen months after DSC's controversial black rhino auction, the actual hunt ended in Namibia this week when the hunter killed a bull that scientists had identified as an impediment to the survival of its own species.

The old, aggressive, non-breeding rhino was known to charge and kill breeding bulls, as well as cows and calves, decreasing productivity and increasing mortality of the herd.

Removing this specimen will benefit rhinos both biologically and financially.

The $350,000 paid for the permit will go to Namibia to help fund law enforcement efforts to curtail indiscriminate killing by rhino poachers. (Note: It's unclear whether the funding could be stopped by a recent lawsuit filed by animal-rights group PETA.)

"The hunter invited a CNN crew to accompany him to Namibia to film the hunt, and the experience is now well documented online," said Ben Carter, DSC executive director. "We hope people around the world will take the time to absorb the coverage, separate the facts from the emotions, and better understand the vital role of hunting in conservation."

He added, "Inviting the media shows just how strongly the hunter feels about that topic, and we tip our hat to him for using his personal adventure as a public education tool. This is perhaps the most high profile hunting and conservation story in our lifetime, and I'm glad he took the opportunity to answer our critics."

Death threats from animal-rights activists poured in following the auction, prompting involvement by the FBI and security teams.

The $350,000 was held in escrow pending U.S. approval of an import permit that would allow the hunter to bring home the taxidermy from his hunt. That permit was recently approved after U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service scientists confirmed the biological and financial benefits to rhino populations.

During a public comment period held as part of the agency's review process, DSC sent a formal letter (see attached) urging approval. The letter reiterated the science and logic behind the hunt.

Namibia is allowed by international treaties to sell up to five rhino management hunts per year. The DSC auction was the first time a permit was sold outside of the country. In the past, Namibia's self-sold permits brought far less than $350,000.

Source: Dallas Safari Club (DSC)

Attachments

• DSC-Public-Comment_Black-Rhino_120414.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 112
yes, a great old rhino is dead.but how many rhinos will profit from this hunt? a lot more than any will be helped by anti bull shit!!!

Govt increases reward on rhino poaching

The Namibian, 12 May 2015
By Theresia Tjihenuna

IN a desperate bid to track down elusive poachers, the Ministry of Environment and Tourism has increased the reward money of whistle-blowers on poaching from N$30 000 to N$60 000.
Tourism minister Pohamba Shifeta said government would rely on anyone who has information on poaching incidences to come forward as one of its efforts to put an end to the increasing illegal activities.

Shifeta yesterday said that poachers were targeting Namibians to carry out their dirty work and called on members of the public to speak out if they know something while investigations into the existing cases continue. Six suspects have been arrested so far in connection with poaching in the northern parts of the country.

The minister said poachers have switched from using hunting rifles to automatic guns.
“Wildlife trafficking is a multi-million dollar criminal enterprise that has expanded to more than just a conservation concern,” he said.

Last week, the ministry also said that several of its staff members were among the suspects being investigated over the poaching incidences, after announcing that over 60 carcasses were discovered, 54 of which were discovered in the Etosha National Park.

Shifeta said the country lost 24 rhinos to poaching last year, while this year, 60rhinos have been poached which were all discovered during aerial patrols.
“As for elephants, 78 were poached in 2014, and 23 animals have been poached so far this year,” he said.

Police patrols have also been increased from 40 to 140 in the Etosha National Park, Bwabwata National Park and Palmwag Tourism Concession Area.
No Namibia Defence Force soldiers have been dispatched on the ground yet, as the ministry said it was still evaluating how they will be dispatched.

Shifeta also said all the carcasses that were recently discovered will go through post-mortem tests to determine whether the causes of deaths were natural or a result of poaching.

He said following an extended period of low wildlife crime in Namibia, there is a clear requirement for a strategy to upgrade law enforcement and wildlife crime prevention capacity in the country.

“As the ministry responsible for wildlife protection, we have been working with other law enforcement and conservation agencies to put short and longer term strategic measures in place to stop the current poaching and illegal trade in wildlife and wildlife products. The short and long term measures involve issues of human capacity, surveillance, patrolling and detection,” he said.

However, the ministry also said it was skeptical about partnering private firms and embassies as they could be wolves in sheep's clothing.
Deputy minister Tommy Nambahu said the ministry has realised that it was being outsmarted by poachers.

“There is no silver bullet to this problem. We have to put in a host of measures that must be put in place. We are being outwitted by these criminals but we are sure that our efforts will yield results,” he said.

Nambahu further said that the public should not panic as the ministry has the situation under control. Nambahu said that government is still researching the use of drones in Namibia before it can make use of them.

The Namibian, 20 April 2015
By Staff Reporter

THE threat looming over Namibia's rhinoceros population is even bigger than previously thought, with 38 rhino carcasses having been discovered in the Etosha National Park so far this year.
The Ministry of Environment and Tourism announced in a media statement on Friday that another 31 rhino carcasses have been found in the Etosha National Park since 8 April.

The ministry, together with the police, is investigating the death of the animals to, among other things, determine whether all of the 31 rhinos had been poached, or if some had died of natural causes, the ministry's permanent secretary, Simeon Negumbo, said in the statement.

While announcing that more incidents of rhino poaching had been discovered in Etosha, which is Namibia's flagship wildlife conservation area, Negumbo also stated that some of the newly discovered carcasses were old and some still had their horns attached.

Most of the 31 carcasses were discovered in the western part of Etosha, Negumbo stated.
Friday's press release by the ministry was issued a week after a previous media statement, in which the ministry announced that seven rhino carcasses - of which six were the remains of male animals - had been discovered in Etosha from February to 7 April. The ministry said the discovery of the seven carcasses brought the number of rhinos found poached in Etosha since October last year to a total of 11.

The 31 additional animals that have been found dead could bring the rhino poaching death toll in Etosha to 42 within a period of six months.

According to the ministry, five carcasses of rhinos that had been killed by poachers have also been discovered in the Kunene region between February and 7 April.

Namibia lost 24 rhinos to poaching during 2014, according to official figures.
With the poaching of rhinos on the increase in Namibia, the Ministry of Environment and Tourism and law enforcement authorities have had little success in tracking down and arresting suspected poachers so far.

Only one person - a resident of Kunene - has been convicted of rhino poaching in Namibia last year.
He was sentenced to seven years' imprisonment in August last year, after he was found guilty of the poaching of a rhino cow in the Sesfontein area in December 2012.

Three Chinese citizens were arrested at Hosea Kutako International Airport in March last year and charged with illegal possession and export of controlled wildlife products, after 14 rhino horns were allegedly discovered in the luggage they were about to take with them on a flight out of Namibia. The three men are still in custody, with their trial scheduled to start in the Windhoek Regional Court in June.

The Ministry of Environment and Tourism announced on 7 April that it is offering a reward of N$30 000 to anyone providing the ministry or the police with information leading to the arrest and successful prosecution of people involved in poaching.

The world's rhino population has been threatened by a poaching onslaught in recent years as a result of a demand for rhino horn in some Asian countries, such as China and Vietnam, where it is superstitiously believed that rhino horn has medicinal properties.

In fact, the animals' horns consist mostly of keratin - the same substance that is the main component of animal hooves and human hair and nails, which means that Asian consumers wanting to buy rhino horn at exorbitant prices would derive the same benefit from biting their own nails as they would from ingesting rhino horn.

According to the United Kingdom-based rhino conservation organisation Save the Rhino International, claims that in some Asian countries it is believed that rhino horn can be used as an aphrodisiac by men experiencing problems with their libido or flaccid erections are not correct, although research has shown that in some countries, like Vietnam, a belief in the supposed libidinal power of rhino horn is rearing its head.

Congratulations Corey on an amazing old trophy bull!

I commend you for the personal stress and the financial outlay to try and help educate the world on where REAL CONSERVATION comes from - Hunters.

To CNN - "I can honestly say its the first time in my life I've been proud of them". Well wait, someone at 1600 Pennsylvania said something like that 7 years ago!

As the many in the thread have stated, it's a tough battle we have dealing with closed minded, anti hunters. That being said, positive press is always welcomed.

But I can recall back in the 80's and early 90's, sharing many a camp fire with friends, we speculated about the future of hunting elephant. Botswana was closed, Jumbo was a poster child for the anti's and many PH's thought we'd never hunt them in the next Century.

Fast forward and Botswana re-opened and showed the world what game management and sustainable use could do for a specie. Even in Zim, despite the pressure on all wildlife, Jumbo has thrived.

We all have to be like Corey, willing to pay the price, take the heat and continue to educate the world on exactly WHAT WE DO AND WHY WE DO IT!

Good Hunting my Friends - John Ed

Corey's big accomplishment was to engage with a liberal media to not only film the hunt but to educate the public on conservation. Often times the unknown is the part that makes ignorance bliss but when you bring it to light through media, it can't be ignored unless you intentionally ignore it or can't comprehend it like most anti's.

You have to wonder if Cory is re thinking he decision on allowing CNN to come long. Although well intended I m not sure it will benefit us.

I agree, even though the reporter who actually covered the story was quite balanced and truthful- he reported it like it is, most of CNNs viewers are probably not that balanced. Which is why it (pleasantly) surprised me given the fact that CNN is a business and their goal is to generate money and thus report stories from the slant that most of their viewers will agree with. Their goal isn't necessarily to get to the truth.

Here's the problem, logic and reason does not work with these people. I've seen hunters that are bashing him, I'm a real hunter and not like those trophy hunters, is their comments. They are not even smart enough to see that we all need to stick together. This is not just about this animal it's about them wanting to take our guns. I have seen some support, but the idiots crawl out of their moms basements for these stories.

As Ron Black says, " you can't teach Stupid"

Yes, this isn't an issue that will resonate well with most people nor will they be to understanding of it. I've seen some of those "non trophy hunters" on a page that was about "stopping" Melissa Bachman, whom the antis referred to as a "bloodthirsty murderer and psychopath". Some of these non trophy hunters stated that they do not trophy hunt and simply hunt for food, and that they actually condemn what Melissa Bachman is doing, yet they don't seem to have any problems with some of the heinous and appalling stuff people where writing about her. Its pretty shocking.

But I guess it boils down to the fact that people only care about issues that personally affect them. Your average hunter will never be able to afford to hunt a black rhino and thus they don't give a s#%t about it. Another part of the problem is jealousy they are jealous that this guy can afford to do something that they will never be able to and so they criticize him for it. Yet if somebody gave them a black rhino hunt for free they would probably jump at the opportunity. Others might actually be ethically opposed to trophy hunting but id say they are the minority among this particular segment of the non-trophy hunting crowd.

Corey's big accomplishment was to engage with a liberal media to not only film the hunt but to educate the public on conservation. Often times the unknown is the part that makes ignorance bliss but when you bring it to light through media, it can't be ignored unless you intentionally ignore it or can't comprehend it like most anti's.

While I applaud Corey for trying to get hunting portrayed in a positive light and explaining its benefit to conservation, the problem is that most people are fact immune. You can provide them with as many facts as you like and they won't listen to them or to reason. The average person who is a non hunter and isn't even particularly opposed to hunting will probably be surprised that someone would shell out 350k to shoot an endangered animal and will probably think if they are so concerned with conservation why don't they just donate this money to conservation, since according to their logic money is of no object to them.

This particular hunt has generated a lot of publicity and looking at the comments average people are making they aren't to positive. I don't recall these other 5 permits that Namibia sold for black rhino generating this much interest before and imo its probably for the best. This isn't really something that should be in the spotlight as most people can't even remotely relate to this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well said Dragan N.

Agreed...The anti hunting crowd cares nothing for scientific facts or anything else other than "there just killers".

They just don't understand the challenges of Africa. They know about poaching and hunting, they know nothing of overpopulation, over grazing and over farming. They don't understand the clash of animals and crops around villages. They don't understand the carrying capacity of land and why taking animals is a good thing. They don't understand that if we quit hunting they would starve to death or be poached out of existence. Once they have no worth they will cease to exist.

Corey’s hunt and his use of CNN to tell the story of his hunt gave me a valuable tool to use in my classroom this past week. In the years that I have taught biology in public schools in Texas this was the first time I presented a video in class that showed the actual killing of an animal by (lack of better words) a first world person. This story also presented both the logical reason for the hunt and the emotional result of the hunt. For most of my students that was a light bulb moment.

I have always allowed class time for discussion on sustainable conservation. We talk in detail about how decisions must be based on logic founded on quantifiable numbers. However, there is an undeniable emotional aspect linked to hunting. In all human endeavors, there will be an emotional aspect. Corey’s story portrayed both logic and emotion in their proper perspective. This combination of logic and human emotion caused my students to think. Please note this is the end of the school year and getting 15 year olds to think about something other than… Well you know. :whistle: It is a major accomplishment. :A Banana:

It is said that 10% of the people have a very strong opinion and that 10% have the exact opposite opinion and that 80% don’t know. We are after that 80%. The question is how do you get the 80% to listen to you. Corey’s method worked very well with my students.

I applaud you Jfet for teaching the truth to your students. The youth of America deserve more educators like you.

Keep up the good work!

Corey’s hunt and his use of CNN to tell the story of his hunt gave me a valuable tool to use in my classroom this past week. In the years that I have taught biology in public schools in Texas this was the first time I presented a video in class that showed the actual killing of an animal by (lack of better words) a first world person. This story also presented both the logical reason for the hunt and the emotional result of the hunt. For most of my students that was a light bulb moment.

I have always allowed class time for discussion on sustainable conservation. We talk in detail about how decisions must be based on logic founded on quantifiable numbers. However, there is an undeniable emotional aspect linked to hunting. In all human endeavors, there will be an emotional aspect. Corey’s story portrayed both logic and emotion in their proper perspective. This combination of logic and human emotion caused my students to think. Please note this is the end of the school year and getting 15 year olds to think about something other than… Well you know. :whistle: It is a major accomplishment. :A Banana:

It is said that 10% of the people have a very strong opinion and that 10% have the exact opposite opinion and that 80% don’t know. We are after that 80%. The question is how do you get the 80% to listen to you. Corey’s method worked very well with my students.
You're A+ teaching material. Letting your students think for yourself thus having the lesson stick better. You definitely get a shiny red apple from me(y)

This news story caused a few folks to ask what my thoughts were on the subject.
They got an education on conservation in Africa.
These folks were in the majority that know absolutely nothing about the reality on the ground in Africa.
They do now!
Thanks Corey for providing the opportunity for a discussion that NEVER would have occurred without this stimulus.

So where is the next opportunity to tell the story of conservation

How about a polar bear hunt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross