Corbett’s 500 modified cordite rifle

Wyatt Smith

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Does any one have information on Jim Corbett’s “500 modified cordite rifle”? I’m guessing it was BPE reproofed to Nitro express, but I don’t know. He killed a few of his man eaters with it, including the champawat tigris. I’m also curious as to the make of this rifle.

Yes. I have all of Corbett's books :)
He owned a .275 Rigby Mauser, a Martini Henry and the .500 Double rifle :) . The .500 Modified cordite rifle was his heavy rifle to back up his .275 Rigby. This eventually got replaced by a .450/400 Double barrelled Jeffery rifle . If you need any other info, don't hesitate to ask old Hoss

hoss,
what do you do in your spare time?
bruce.
Well , when l am not working ( Shipping Business ) , l am either :
Hunting
Fishing
Shooting
Collecting knives
Collecting guns
Building my 11.2 × 72 Schuler ZKK-602 project
Collecting Vintage Suspenders
Buying Silk shirts
Buying new suits
Watching films
Reading
Bowling
Playing Billiard
Cooking
Gardening
Spending time with Mrs. Delgado.
Playing with my nephew ( he's like my son )
Eating out
Doing charity work for old War Veterans .
Spending time with my Granddad .
Spending time with my mom and Dad when they're here from Arizona.
Visiting my son at the cemetery every Saturday.
Painting
Play piano
Attending country concerts
Spending time with Friends
And last but not least ...
Posting on AH forums :)

Last edited:
Why was it called a “modified cordite rifle” was it first a black powder gun? And I wander what make it was? In The Temple Tiger he mentions it being an underlever, with hammers I think.
The only book of his I’m missing is Tree Tops

Wyatt I think you must be correct. I am aware of nothing written about the old 500 or where it might be. But the description sounds like a nitro (cordite) re-proved Jones style underlever. As I suspect you are aware, his .450/400 3" was owned by Elmer Keith for many years and sold through Julia's a few years ago for around a quarter of a million (actually a little over with buyer's premium added).

A man lives 100 years if he's lucky. Many don't . My son isn't with us and he was only 12 . It teaches you to value the time you have here and make the most of it :)
Sorry about your son Hoss, makes my stomach knot! Bad events in ones life tend to have one of two outcomes one being bitterness and self pity and the other is an enlightenment of sorts like yours. I truly believe what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.
God Bless,
Cody
And to not completely hijack this thread, I love looking at the Corbett Rifle that Rigby brings to DSC!

Screenshot_20190809-131935.png
Why was it called a “modified cordite rifle” was it first a black powder gun? And I wander what make it was? In The Temple Tiger he mentions it being an underlever, with hammers I think.
The only book of his I’m missing is Tree Tops
Sorry , l had to give such a short answer , Wyatt. I was at work. Let me tell you all about Corbett's .500 Modified cordite double rifle .
To start with. Here is a picture of the .450/400 Double barrelled Jeffery which eventually replaced the .500 Double modified cordite rifle . In regards to The .500 Modified Cordite rifle , l just checked my copy of " Man Eaters of Kumaon " .
Mr. Corbett mentions that he only carried 3 cartridges for the .500, one in each barrel and the third for an emergency. He hit the tigress with two shots but did not kill her, but missed with his first shot. Then , he used a 12 gauge Double barrel side by side shotgun loaded with Kynoch Lethal Ball to finish it off. This wasn't his personal gun but was borrowed.
In regards to Modified Cordite , that is a term for Cordite MD . Cordite MD was a type of Cordite which contained a lower percentage of nitroglycerine and a higher percentage of nitro cellulose than standard Mark I cordite. So his rifle was a .500 Double barrelled rifle loaded with modified cordite. Modified Cordite was popular among hand loaders at the time , or as the English called it " men who liked to roll their own " . Unfortunately , it wasn't to last , because soon it got realized that modified Cordite didn't reach the desirable velocities of your standard MK I Cordite . Another reference to Modified cordite .500 Double Rifles can be read in the Auto biography of the Maharaja of Kooch Bihar . If l dare say so , l would speculate that the reason Corbett's . 500 Double rifle failed to kill that tigress was due to the inferiority of Cordite MD.
Finally , here is a list of all of Jim Corbett's guns , in a chronological order ( or as close to a chronological order as possible ) :
1) His first gun was a battered double barrelled exposed hammer shotgun , with the left barrel burst , held together by copper wire and a cracked stock which was nailed together .
2) A Martini Henry .577/450 . He used this weapon for dispatching goats.
3) A Westley Richards 7 × 57 MM Mauser with two stage trigger ( double set triggers ) and a 5 shot capacity loaded by a " clip '
4) A Rigby .275 ( 7 × 57 mm ) Mauser , best grade . This would be his favorite gun to replace the previous Westley Richards 7mm ( which he actually bungled a shot with , due to the " complicated " two stage trigger mechanism )
5) A .500 Cordite MD double rifle which he used on a tiger to wound it with two shots .
6) The pictured .450 / 400 Double Barrelled Jeffery which ultimately replaced the .500 Cordite MD double rifle .
He also used a borrowed 12 gauge side by side shotgun loaded with Kynoch Lethal Ball to dispatch the tigress which he had wounded with the .500 Cordite MD rifle. But this was a borrowed gun , not a personal weapon.
And the reason Corbett only had 3 cartridges for the cordite MD rifle ( .500 ) was because Modified Cordite stopped being produced by then already. They were , without a doubt , the last 3 cartridges he had for the gun .
Hope this helps :) If you need any other info , hesitate not to ask .
Hoss Delgado

Sorry about your son Hoss, makes my stomach knot! Bad events in ones life tend to have one of two outcomes one being bitterness and self pity and the other is an enlightenment of sorts like yours. I truly believe what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.
God Bless,
Cody
And to not completely hijack this thread, I love looking at the Corbett Rifle that Rigby brings to DSC!
Thanks , Cody :). I believe Happiness is a choice and l praise the Lord for making my life as happy as it is . Things can always be worse. Rigby Did a Corbett Commerorative Mauser :) which is quite beautiful. But the single Rigby gun which l am the most fascinated by , is a One of a kind .22 Savage Hi Power Mauser , which they made for WDM Karamojo Bell in 1929 :) I sent an email to Rigby once . They don't make Mausers in this caliber anymore , due to the rimmed design. Apparently , Bell's own rifle was unsatisfactory as well , since he sold it in 1937 and opted for a .220 Swift Winchester Model 70 . If l were to speculate , l would imagine Rigby eventually decided it was not worth risking their reputation by continuing to chamber magazine rifles for this cartridge anymore .
I never fired a Rigby 7 mm Mauser , but l have fired my father in law's 7 mm Mauser , which is a custom piece built on a pre 64 Winchester Model 70 action. Good stuff :)
God bless
Hoss

Wyatt I think you must be correct. I am aware of nothing written about the old 500 or where it might be. But the description sounds like a nitro (cordite) re-proved Jones style underlever. As I suspect you are aware, his .450/400 3" was owned by Elmer Keith for many years and sold through Julia's a few years ago for around a quarter of a million (actually a little over with buyer's premium added).
Red Leg , l have read that Jim Corbett buried some of his rifles in India before he left . He only took the Rigby Mauser and the Jeffery with him .

In fact the web page @Hoss Delgado found and posted https://frontierpartisans.com/3666/jim-corbetts-rifle/ mentions that the .500 began life as a .500 BPE so it would have been re-proved for a mild cordite load that largely duplicated (with a different pressure curve) the BP ballistics.
That's very possible too , Red Leg. I would imagine the rifle got reproofed to handle cordite MD. I would imagine Corbett's .500 to be a transitional era ( 1898-1899 ) made rifle .

That's very possible too , Red Leg. I would imagine the rifle got reproofed to handle cordite MD. I would imagine Corbett's .500 to be a transitional era ( 1898-1899 ) made rifle .
Unlikely. I suspect it was indeed a decade or so earlier Jones underlever BPE re-proofed to mild cordite load.

Unlikely. I suspect it was indeed a decade or so earlier Jones underlever BPE re-proofed to mild cordite load.
You're more experienced than l :) I concede you are right. But the only reason , l would say the gun was loaded with modified Cordite was because he doesn't just mention the gun as a " Modified Cordite .500 Rifle '' . But he also mentioned the cartridges as " .500 Modified Cordite cartridges .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you