Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Asia/M.East
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan, Czech Republic
I just priced out BBs (for a BB gun) and if bought in bulk, they are only $1 per box more expensive to load than steel shot. They are 10% more dense and 1/3 softer than steel which should make them ideal.

I am planning to buy a new shotgun and am looking at non-toxic alternatives that are not hard on a barrel or the wallet (bismuth is out of the question!).

I'm not sure where you've gotten your information, but I was always told that air rifle BBs were harder (actually, much harder) than the shot used in nontoxic waterfowl loads, and roughly the same density.

I will refer you to this thread:
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=240773&start=0

There is no such thing as a nontoxic alternative that is not hard on the barrel, with the exception of bismuth or NICE shot (or tungsten matrix).....all of which are VERY expensive. Tungsten iron (no longer made), steel, and hevishot are all hard on barrels, and require thick wads for their protection. Even with the thicker wads, the barrels can be scored.
IIRC, an author (L.P. Brezny?) used air gun bb's in his shotgun.....also (IIRC) he ruined a few barrels. I tried to find that article, but I've been unable to bring it up.

Best steel nontoxic loads are usually those that are the fastest.....I prefer 1 oz of steel #3 for most of my waterfowling use. I also use bismuth and hevishot as well.

Shotguns? Waterfowl guns get abused, wet, etc.....I can't see putting a whole lot of money into what I consider a tool. For that reason, I use an inexpensive Remington 870 express with a 3" chamber (but I rarely use a 3"shell). I've also put a sythetic stock on it, as I found that when the factory wood stock got wet, it swelled and changed the point of impact considerably.
Good luck...............

Copper is definitely softer and heavier than steel but BBs may actually be an alloy of some sort I suppose.

Good info, thanks.

Copper is definitely softer and heavier than steel but BBs may actually be an alloy of some sort I suppose.

Good info, thanks.

copper bb's are steel (test them with a magnet)....they are just plated with copper.

copper bb's are steel (test them with a magnet)....they are just plated with copper.

This actually makes sense considering the price of them.

If they are in a wad why would they bother your barrel at all?

If they are in a wad why would they bother your barrel at all?

I have been doing extensive reading on all things shotgun and even if you use "made for steel" wads, when steel shot which is nearly as hard as your barrel gets forced into the choke it can cause damage including work hardening and stretching of the barrel just ahead of the choke. This is why there is a disclaimer on the box about shooting them n older guns and claiming damage may occur to any gun, it is also why no constriction greater than modified is recommended with steel.

Even with "made for steel" wads, steel shot damages barrels.

heavi shot is harder than your barrel and you can imagine the risks with it.

Actually it is also recommended that steel not be shot in doubles at all either.

Shoot it out of my O/U
Cylinder choke, no constriction.
Most of the time I use IC and Cylinder.
Pattern great, no pressure and minimal choke constriction so, no issues.

Tightest I have ever used with steel is Mod. Usually smaller shot sizes.

Guys I've been shooting steel shot since it was mandated way back in I believe 1988. I did and do a lot of waterfowl hunting, my son and I buy 12 gauge steel shot shells by the case. I used a Mossberg 835 for years before I bought my Browning Gold semi, both of those guns as well as my sons Beretta have had thousands of rounds of steel shot through them and we haven't had any barrel issues at all. I use steel shot, I find the alternatives too pricey and unnecessary. I use Winchester Xpert and Kent Fast Steel mainly, their reasonably priced and the velocity is pretty high and I firmly believe that when it comes to steel shot, speed kills.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross