Silver supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
I’m going to assume there is not a large availability of Copenhagen snuff in Africa. I will be in SA in 2020 for 20+ days. Anybody here dip snuff and hunt Africa? What did y’all do for an extended supply? I imagine 30-40 cans would be over duty limits and not sure that it would stay very fresh for that long......real First World Problem I guess?

My wife says just man up and quit, but I’m not a quitter!!

Hutch01

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, SCI
Hunted
RSA East Cape 4X, Mozambique, NZ, Namibia
I brought my own and never had to shop for it. But I only go thru a can per week..

BnC 04

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, RMEF, DU, NWTF, NRA
Hunted
Canada/Europe/Africa/14 US States
Bring 2 rolls separated throughout our luggage. Just in case of misplaced luggage and such.
Not sure how much is authorized to take but never had any issue with 2 rolls.
Stored in fridge or out of sun an your fine.

gizmo

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.rockinggranch.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
Hunted
Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
I took 4 rolls. Packed 2 in my luggage and 2 in my carry on. I’m a can a day fella and was cutting it close at the end but made it.

Glenn Slaven

Silver supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Glad I’m not alone then. I’m a can a day kinda guy unfortunately. I’m still getting used to a log being 5 and not 10. Lol

My daughter may need to take some with her too. I’ll have to pretend like I’m back in the Marine Corps....dry ‘Hagen is better than no ‘Hagen

gizmo

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.rockinggranch.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
Hunted
Glad I’m not alone then. I’m a can a day kinda guy unfortunately. I’m still getting used to a log being 5 and not 10. Lol

My daughter may need to take some with her too. I’ll have to pretend like I’m back in the Marine Corps....dry ‘Hagen is better than no ‘Hagen
True that

gizmo

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.rockinggranch.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
Hunted
I ran out in Brazil one time, got back in from the jungle and went on a mission to find snuff. After an entire day of searching the entire city of Manaus I finally located 1 can of Copenhagen and it was long cut :mad: but in a pinch and with limited options it worked. It had been expired for God knows how long and was dry as hell. I rehydrated it with a little whiskey and it got me home. I suggest taking more than you think you’ll need.

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
Just pay the duty.

Assuming $6/unit that will come to R3406 - 20% R681.2 for a grand total of $47.99USD
in duties and taxes (assuming zero duty free amount.)

Flat-Rate Assessment
Over and above the duty-free allowance, you may choose to pay Customs duty at a flat-rate of 20% on goods which you acquired abroad or in any duty-free shop.
The total value of these additional goods, new or used, may not exceed R20 000 per person or R2000 for crew members. Flat-rate goods are also exempted from payment of VAT.

What you can bring in duty-free?

• Cigarettes – up to 200 per person.
    • Cigars – up to 20 per person.
    • Cigarette or pipe tobacco – up to 250g per person.

Goods you’re not allowed to bring
Cigarettes with a mass of more than 2kg per 1 000.

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
Are you talking about "snoose"? o_O That's what we call in out here anyways. I worked for some years around a bunch of squarehead fisherman and boatyard crews. Half chewed that hideous :notworthy:stuff and spit it all over the place:eek:. I tried a taste once, nearly lost my breakfast lunch and dinner!:sick: I did smoke once, but wised up nearly 40 years ago and quit(y). Your wife is right though! :D:D Copenhagen is disgusting!:cautious::)

JimP

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA, RMEF
Hunted
US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
I am not a partaker in the worm dirt but on our safari a friend was.

After 5 days he started to ration it, cutting way back. Then when our safari was over and our touring began he felt like he would be able to find some. Well.............Our outfitter managed to find a tobacco product in Mossel Bay as we were diving with the great whites. It looked a lot like clay but my friend figured that it was better than nothing.................just barely. Then once we got to Cape Town and hit the tobacco shop in the mall he found some real worm dirt to get by on for the next week. So between the clay and the new stuff he managed to make it through the trip.

The moral of the story is to bring enough to see you through and don't even think of trying to find anything like you use in any of the local stores.

Glenn Slaven

Silver supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Are you talking about "snoose"? o_O That's what we call in out here anyways. I worked for some years around a bunch of squarehead fisherman and boatyard crews. Half chewed that hideous :notworthy:stuff and spit it all over the place:eek:. I tried a taste once, nearly lost my breakfast lunch and dinner!:sick: I did smoke once, but wised up nearly 40 years ago and quit(y). Your wife is right though! :D:D Copenhagen is disgusting!:cautious::)
I use good old Copenhagen snuff. Never tried the snoose, but considereding it.

Mark Biggerstaff

Silver supporter
Bronze supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
I am a can or so a day person. On my 10 day trip I packed 5 in carry on. 10 in checked bag and 5 backup cans in rifle case.

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
OK, guess I am confused. Did a little reading. Snus, not "snoose" is the Swedish word for snuf. OK, but apparently not the same thing. The guys I worked around didn't snort Copehagen, they put a big nasty blob in their mouths and spit it all day long, everywhere. So are you talking about a nasal snort type of snuf or a chewing "little dab between cheek and gum" affair? I have never met anyone who literally snuffed tobacco products, all chewed and spit.

markm

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
United States
I’m going to assume there is not a large availability of Copenhagen snuff in Africa. I will be in SA in 2020 for 20+ days. Anybody here dip snuff and hunt Africa? What did y’all do for an extended supply? I imagine 30-40 cans would be over duty limits and not sure that it would stay very fresh for that long......real First World Problem I guess?

I brought about five sleeves every time I went never had a problem .

Eric Anderson

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
RSA

I dont think you can get chewing tobacco in RSA. I had the same problem one trip, and was told the only places to get chew in RSA were places you did not go.
I would just pay the extra duty. A can last me about 4 days, so I never had an issue just bringing a log.

If you run out, you have 2 choices, smoking, or Nicolette gum, which is widely availible.

Vanguard2279

Silver supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life, SCI Life
Hunted
South Africa (Limpopo, Northwest & Eastern Cape), Namibia, Nevada, Newfoundland, Zambia
I always pack a little more of everything just to be on the safe side. For a seven day hunt, I brought two five can logs. I keep it in a zip-lock bag. It goes into my backpack as carry-on with my medication as it is precious cargo.

tarbe

Bronze supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life, Handloaders Anonymous
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Zimbabwe
This thread just made me really glad that I quit the stuff 15 years ago!

I do still dream I have a wad in, every now and then. Wake up with a terrible taste in my mouth. Where's that cat?? :LOL::eek:

TByrd

Gold supporter
AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
DSC, Trout Unlimited
I can relate, unfortunately. I haven’t done Africa, yet....but everywhere else it seems. After running out in several far flung locations, I now just take all I need and them some. Split between carry on and checked bags (if checking bags). I’ve taken quantities, that I am ashamed to admit to publicly, to the following: Argentina, Costa Rica, Mexico, Canada, China, Germany, Chile, all over the Caribbean and others. Hate to jinx it, but I have never been questioned.....pack what you need. If you have to pay a little duty, no big deal....that beats running low and driving all over creation and inconveniencing your host/traveling companions...in what will be a fruitless effort anyways.

Glenn Slaven

Silver supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
OK, guess I am confused. Did a little reading. Snus, not "snoose" is the Swedish word for snuf. OK, but apparently not the same thing. The guys I worked around didn't snort Copehagen, they put a big nasty blob in their mouths and spit it all day long, everywhere. So are you talking about a nasal snort type of snuf or a chewing "little dab between cheek and gum" affair? I have never met anyone who literally snuffed tobacco products, all chewed and spit.
Copenhagen is moist snuff that goes between the lip and gum.

I did go through a snorting snuff phase for a while. Garrett snuff, powder dry and snorted in the nose. It was pretty good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NelleBruns

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

degoins wrote on Treemantwo's profile.
I have a like new VC .450 I might part with. I had it built in 2013 and it has served me well. Also have a VC fitted leather trunk case for it along with the plastic case it came with. I'll take 14000 for all of it.
Matt W wrote on Jody's profile.
Hi Jody,
I have been looking for ideas on the best way to display my European mounts from Africa. I came across some of your shield work and was wondering if you would be willing to make one for me? If so, please let me know the cost. I like the shield with the two spears that you built for a member years ago. Thanks.
cal pappas wrote on Mnelson2's profile.
Nelson. Is this message a PM format. I want to send you my email, but don't know if this is the cirrect way to do it. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net> Send me an email with your phone and I will call you about a skull I have. I went to school in Boston and am from Bernardston in the west part of the state. Moved to Alaska in 1984 adn never looked back.
BeeMaa wrote on Justbryan's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. He was a pleasure to do business with.
BeeMaa wrote on 375Fox's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. Was a pleasure to do business with.