Converting 450/400 3 1/4 cases to 450/400 3"?

Kevin Peacocke

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
I am battling to find 450/400 3" brass but found some 3 1/4". Can these be trimmed down for use in a 3"?

Magnum Arms Nelspruit or Kevin Steward I will confirm tomorrow...

You'd be better off sizing down .450 - 3 1/4" cases and trimming to length.

When you do the initial sizing, set the shoulder length a bit long and try for fit, gradually screwing the die in 1/8th turn at a time to reduce shoulder length until the case rim sits flush with the breech face. You can verify this with a straight edge. This will give you close to zero headspace off the shoulder. I like to then fire form the case. Once done, you are good to go.

For hunting loads, I further reduce the headspace a few thousandth of an inch to ensure easy clambering of the rounds, even if a bit fouled.

Happy shooting!

Magnum Arms Nelspruit or Kevin Steward I will confirm tomorrow...
Called all my connections......no stock....they will let me know as soon as they get any in and I will let you know....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross