Converting .416 Remington to .404 Jeffery?

Adam S

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA (OH, WV, CO)
I apologize if this is a ridiculous question, but I was unable to find an answer after a fair amount of searching and don't know much of anything about rifle modification/customization. Would it be possible (or feasible) to have a barrel of, say a Winchester 70, rebored and rechambered from .416 Remington to .404 Jeffery? Would feeding be an issue? Size of magazine?

I know there's nothing wrong with the .416 Remington cartridge, but the nostalgia of the Jeffery is tough to beat. I love the idea of the .404 cartridge, but I'm not sure I can justify the expense of any of the Jeffery chambered rifles I've seen for sale for the very little use I'd get out of it.

Thanks!

I apologize if this is a ridiculous question, but I was unable to find an answer after a fair amount of searching and don't know much of anything about rifle modification/customization. Would it be possible (or feasible) to have a barrel of, say a Winchester 70, rebored and rechambered from .416 Remington to .404 Jeffery? Would feeding be an issue? Size of magazine?

I know there's nothing wrong with the .416 Remington cartridge, but the nostalgia of the Jeffery is tough to beat. I love the idea of the .404 cartridge, but I'm not sure I can justify the expense of any of the Jeffery chambered rifles I've seen for sale for the very little use I'd get out of it.

Thanks!

The 404 has a different overall length
Diameter of cartridge case
The bullet is not that much different to 416 Remington magnum
Personally the extent to which you need to get a gunsmith to work on everything especially the overall length of the 404 I humbly suggest
you buy a 404 j instead of going to such smithing
Sauer for example make the 404j
This probably not what you want to hear but the cost and messing around I believe is not worth the effort and I'm not sure whether the bolt etc will be able to be machined to allow the 404. Machining out the action may not be a good idea but I suggest a gunsmith could tell you that.
Hopes this helps

If you want a 404 J, I'd suggest sending a PM to @Albert GRANT and see about a CZ 550 he saw for sale at a local sporting goods place in Maine. Price was around $2500 as I recall. Sell your 416 Rem and buy the 404.

If you are intent on trying a conversion project, send a PM to @AZDAVE , that's what I did a few months ago. He's done a number of conversions, including a Ruger safari magnum conversion that he posted here on AH and is very helpful. Here's the suggestions he gave me:

If I were to do it again I wouldn't have used a RMS. I see kinda 5options from cheapest to most expensive.

On bigger bore the rifle fit is MUCH more important than in under 40 cal rifles!!!

1. Have a CZ 375 or Bruno 375 barrel bored, re-rifled ($350-400), and rechambered to 404 and go shoot things.

2. Use the CZ 375 and have it rebarreled to 404. I spoke with the 3 rivers CZ folks at SCI and a rebarrel on eith a 550 or a bruno ZKK602 for $550. Then add sights and blueing etc.

3.Just buy a CZ in 404 and have 3 rivers do a tuneup on the feeding and trigger and go shoot things.

4. Get one of the Winchester Safari express and re rifle or rebarrel etc and go shoot things.

5. Full custom get a barreled action from Granite arms with their double square bridge mauser action. (About 4500). Get a really nice english walnut blank (1000-1800) have have it fit you exactly (If you can do your own stock work about a 100-150 hours of time) (quality stock maker $1500-2Kish for the work) And really go shoot thing as the animals like it when they are shot with a full on custom pretty gun

BTW, I recently contacted Granite Mountain Arms about getting a 404 J barreled action and John Roden replied it takes about 8 months. He didn't quote a price, but my guess is ~$5k.

I checked recently and it wasn't there anymore. It's possible it is out back on hold with a deposit and may show back up if the sale falls through but I think that one is likely off the market

Also I'm pretty sure the only rifles, that aren't already dangerous game rifles, that will work without heavy modifications are ones chambered for Weatherby mags .300 and larger and Remington ultra mags, and those would require a rebarrel

Triple River, the CZ-USA go to gunsmith lists this:
http://cz-usa.com/product/safari-classics-magnum-express-rifle/

upload_2017-4-9_10-47-43.png

Buy a used CZ in 375HH and have Triple River do the Mods, I chose to stay with the Standard wood to keep the price down
IMG_0693.jpg

There is a gentlemen over on another forum (ar) that built a very nice 404J on a P17 action. It is the path that I will pursue to my 404J rifle. As sagely stated previously it will likely cost me more that buying a CZ or rechambering a ZZK. But it will be "my" 404j , and most likely not like many others. This is a picture of the rifle that gentleman build for his hunt in Africa. There are lots of options, that is part of the pleasure.
upload_2017-4-9_9-36-34.png

Thank all of you for all the great information and ideas! I appreciate all the knowledge on this site and the willingness to help.

I'll give the project some more consideration, but it certainly seems like the easiest option is to continue watching for rifle to come up in that caliber. Unfortunately, I'm not in a hurry as it's likely going to be quite some time before I get to square off against dangerous game.

Mine was a win mod 70 416 REM mag Replaced bbl with 404j minor magazine work on internal box allowed 3 down shoots like a dream.
That it in avatar.

There is a gentlemen over on another forum (ar) that built a very nice 404J on a P17 action. It is the path that I will pursue to my 404J rifle. As sagely stated previously it will likely cost me more that buying a CZ or rechambering a ZZK. But it will be "my" 404j , and most likely not like many others. This is a picture of the rifle that gentleman build for his hunt in Africa. There are lots of options, that is part of the pleasure.
View attachment 179116

Good looking rifle and elephant!

Good looking rifle and elephant!
Yes the fellow did a very nice job, I will try replicate his quality of work on the rifle. I am confident the rifle is within my grasp , I really like the P-17 action ! But I am not sure if my pockets extend deep enough for a jumbo of that caliber. But I am contemplating a non exportable elephant hunt one day. But spotty and sable are next, sadly probably 4 0r 5 years away yet, but nothing worth doing is ever easy.
Cheers
Pat

Yes the fellow did a very nice job, I will try replicate his quality of work on the rifle. I am confident the rifle is within my grasp , I really like the P-17 action ! But I am not sure if my pockets extend deep enough for a jumbo of that caliber. But I am contemplating a non exportable elephant hunt one day. But spotty and sable are next, sadly probably 4 0r 5 years away yet, but nothing worth doing is ever easy.
Cheers
Pat

Good luck Pat! Hope the non exportable becomes reality for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.