Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NWTF, TTHA, DU
Hunted
LIMPOPO
I leave for Limpopo in a little over 2 weeks. Do I need a adapter or converter or both? The only thing that we will be charging is Ipads, and cellphones. Also do you need to list your camera, cellphones, ipads, binos, and bow on any form or are you good to go? The problem Im having is I am on a project working 7 12s since January out of state and will only arrive home about 2 days before said trip.

I believe you will only need an adapter. Thats all I took, the only thing that I had that would have needed a converter was an electric toothbrush, but what your taking the adapter should be fine. As far as property listed on the 4457 form, I have been told only the gun is necessary, but I always list my computer, binos, ipads on there also. As far as bows go, I cant help you but many guys have recently traveled to SA with bows... @Lee M , @billc

Adapters.

Other than the gun in question, the purpose of the form is to prove to some over zealous customs agent that you didn't purchase something expensive out of country - at hence should pay duty on import. It also serves as a "weapon's permit" to most countries to which you are traveling.

I travel internationally a lot (not just hunting) and have never used the form for anything but a rifle or shotgun. I have never listed any other items on the form and never had an issue with customs.

Last edited:
Adaptor.

Converters are usually only needed for things like electric toothbrushes, hair dryers (provided in camp usually if you're traveling with your wife), hair irons- basically anything with heating elements in it.

Agree on adapter, all my Apple stuff.....laptop, iPad, iPhone will accept the higher voltage. My only concern might would be a battery charge for your camera. I only say that because I never tried to charge my camera batteries. I have an extra battery pack for my Canon and never came close to using them up and needing a recharge, even with thousands of photos taken.

Agree on adapter, all my Apple stuff.....laptop, iPad, iPhone will accept the higher voltage. My only concern might would be a battery charge for your camera. I only say that because I never tried to charge my camera batteries. I have an extra battery pack for my Canon and never came close to using them up and needing a recharge, even with thousands of photos taken.
I've charged cameras in Africa, including Canon. Adapter only.

My wide even made sure her flat iron was 240 capable. thus, no convertor needed there either.

My wide even made sure her flat iron was 240 capable. thus, no convertor needed there either.

I hope that your better half doesn't read these forums. :A Yell:

I just used the adapter that was provided by my outfitter. It had been used so much that it was a sloppy fit but it worked for both of my camera battery chargers.

I also understood that you should list your optics, and electronics on a 4457 just for the reasons stated above. Also on the US Customs web site under questions and answers on the 4457 they also suggest that anything with a serial number should be listed.

I hope that your better half doesn't read these forums. :A Yell:
Oh crap!!!

Luckily she thinks we are all nuts and stays as far away as possible!

Adaptor unless you have something that requires 110 volts. Most things that have transformers will let you know if you need a converter. Whatever it is If it doesn't say 110-220 50-60 hz then you need the converter. You can get adaptor plugs on Amazon over night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShellieWei

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!