Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Texas,Namibia,Kansas, Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, South Africa, New Zealand

Attachments

• Screenshot (353).png
    Screenshot (353).png
    285.7 KB · Views: 204
WOW! Perfect to build a dream 404 J on! It appears to be a great price so far! If you get this, you should do a report on your build.
Best of luck!

I don't believe that is a factory 300 ultra mag. Look at the rear mounting holes. They should be closer together, .330, like they are on the 375 H&H the guy is selling. I think someone put a factory barrel on a regular action and shorten end the ejector etc. I have a factory ultra mag and the holes are close.

I don't believe that is a factory 300 ultra mag. Look at the rear mounting holes. They should be closer together, .330, like they are on the 375 H&H the guy is selling. I think someone put a factory barrel on a regular action and shorten end the ejector etc. I have a factory ultra mag and the holes are close.

Entirely possible, but ive got 3 factory M70 300 Wby, 2 with close holes 1 with wide. Very possible its a matter of spare parts being used up at the factory. Also, this has the cheap plastic stock, could be a matter of more upper end models having the "magnum" spacing. Ive seen both on 375's

Entirely possible, but ive got 3 factory M70 300 Wby, 2 with close holes 1 with wide. Very possible its a matter of spare parts being used up at the factory. Also, this has the cheap plastic stock, could be a matter of more upper end models having the "magnum" spacing. Ive seen both on 375's
Are they all G series actions?

The trouble is that we are bidding against each other for these Winchester Mod. 70s in RUM calibers. All with the thought of converting them to a 404 Jeffery. I wonder if we were to "survey" AH members to see how much interest there is getting a new 404 Jeffery and providing a sufficient number of prospective buyers approach Montana Rifles with a group buy. That way we might all get a good deal.

The trouble is that we are bidding against each other for these Winchester Mod. 70s in RUM calibers. All with the thought of converting them to a 404 Jeffery. I wonder if we were to "survey" AH members to see how much interest there is getting a new 404 Jeffery and providing a sufficient number of prospective buyers approach Montana Rifles with a group buy. That way we might all get a good deal.

That's not even really necessary. All we need is someone to produce the magazine box and follower. I think Sunny Hill does but they want nearly the price of a used M70 for it, no thanks.

Someone just needs to realise the resurgence in popularity and produce a factory option for 404J at a reasonable price. There's money to be made.

Just use a new win 70 in 416rem mag and thread on a new barrel
Easy no problem conversion

Why spend so much extra money converting a 416? That same action is also used in abundant 7mm Rem actions. New bolt stop (20 bucks or so) either remove the magazine spacer, or buy a 375/416 mag for about $40 and a new follower for another $40. Winchester only makes 1 long action for everything.

I myself would never do a conversion. But for people who would this may be a buy. I love my 450/400 in the Ruger No.1

You know, if anyone here is looking for a Mod 70 to convert I've got a NIB 300 Wby for sale that's just a barrel and lip tweak away from being a 404

A local gun shop sells brand new Remington 700 actions in ultra mag for less than $400 if you could live with push feed.
Shawn

I put a bid in on this rifle prior to all of the negative facts being presented, for once I'm glad someone outbid me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois