Controversial international hunting council up in the air

From my perspective I think there needs to be a much more active campaign on the symbiotic relationship between hunting and conservation. I often find most "anti-hunting" people I have come across have zero clue regarding the impact of hunters dollars on conservation. Once enlightened they often agree its a beneficial relationship and are more supportive.

I would suggest that the current administration, disband the Council. If left in tact, the next administration will fill it with HSUS folks and that will be the end.

The article contains a number of interesting points.

One is that the advisory council was challenged in court on the basis that governmental advisory councils must be "balanced." I don't know about that, but given that a court upheld it, I'll assume it's true for now. The advisory counsel apparently consisted of more "pro-hunting" groups than "anti-hunting" representatives.

I think a decent argument could be made that in fact, most pro-hunting people, at least those I know, are pretty balanced - if you want to engage in legal, well-regulated hunting, you should be free to; if you'd rather not, you don't have to. On the other hand, almost every anti-hunting person I know believes that no one should be allowed to engage in any type of hunting.

It seems to me the pro-hunting people are balanced while it's the anti-hunting people who aren't balanced at all. Putting unbalanced people (and I mean that in any number of ways) on a group with balanced peopled doesn't result in a balanced perspective. Just saying.

Sadly I'm not so sure that the the 'red/green divide' is always an argument amongst people who all want the same thing

Take the UK for example

In the UK many of the most vociferous anti-hunters are motivated by political and class hate, not conservation.

If it wasn't hunting they'd find some other justification to hate those they've been taught to believe are "the enemy".

Environmentalism is the current in-vogue band-wagon for people whose purpose in life is to nurse an invented grievance. For them environmentalism/animals rights are the vehicle, not the cause.

Sadly, in the UK, the only voice we hear is that of these militants

Not all those who find hunting distasteful are politically motivated however - it is to these people we need to direct our efforts We need to explain that the greatest threat to wild places, wild life, natural habitat and biodiversity, wherever it is to be found, whether in wilderness or managed countryside, is human encroachment, human disturbance and human industry.

We need also to explain the role of the hunter in providing funding for the maintenance of wild protected areas and their role in giving wildlife an economic value, without which (in this human centric world) it will not survive.

Perhaps some will listen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg