Consistency with different bullets

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Pheroze, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Pheroze

Pheroze AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    OFAH, DSC
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Canada, USA
    I am loading for a 3006 ABolt II with a 22" barrel. I had previously found that 180 interlock over H4350 was most accurate going on 2550 fps. This year I used the same brass and primers but tried H4831 and 180 gr Northforks....exactly the same. Up to 2550 the grouping got smaller to about an inch and then started to open up with a dramatic increase in recoil.

I found this to be quite surprising. But, this rifle is most accurate with smaller bullets too.

The personality of a rifle is an interesting thing.

geoff rath likes this.

2. Von S.

Von S. AH Fanatic

I have seen guys who demand sub moa accuracy from a rifle and are willing to shell out big bucks to get it.

When a fella says he wants to shoot deer up to 400 yards away with a 30-06 and wants the rifle and load to get the job done wears talking about building something specific.....very specific. Not a deer gun that tomorrow is a bear gun with a different bullet, and later is an elk gun with yet another bullet, or a varmint gun that spits yet something else out. But should someone want an everything gun he will be sighting in each time he changes bullets.

If someone wants to change bullet weights and style he should use separate guns.

geoff rath likes this.

3. Shootist43

Shootist43 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
    I have lots of 30-06 caliber rifles but I only use one load. That one was given to me by my hunting buddy (now deceased) for my first and still my go to rifle in that caliber. On multiple occasions I've put ten cold bore shots under an inch at 100 yds. If I feed it a different style of bullet or try a factory round one would think I was using a shotgun with a full choke. BTW that rifle is a Remington 724 with a Weaver Tip Off Mount. So I totally agree that a rifle has preferences. It is up to us to find out their likes and dislikes if we want to coax the best accuracy out of them.

geoff rath likes this.

4. Pheroze

Pheroze AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    OFAH, DSC
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Canada, USA
    I thought the different style of bullet would coax more velocity out of it because of the bore rider design of the Northfork. 2550 is kinda slow for 180gr. But it seems to just like that weight at that speed. I dont mind as the shooting distance will be short, just a "hmmm" moment is all.

5. stug

stug AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    NZ
    My Rem 700 mountain rifle in 30/06 liked 56.5 gr of H4350 with a 165gr NBT, It could go faster but groups opened up a lot.
    Some barrels just like certain loads/harmonics.

6. geoff rath

geoff rath AH Enthusiast

Pheroze, now I know why I have a safe full of rifles ....:ROFLMAO:

Pheroze likes this.

7. Von S.

Von S. AH Fanatic

If someone wanted a highly accurate rifle built it always starts with the bullet and the round length, then build the rifle around it.