Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
Conservation Status of The Lion (Panthera leo Linnaeus, 1758) in Mozambique
by Philippe Chardonnet, Pascal Mésochina, Pierre-Cyril, Renaud, Carlos Bento, Domingo Conjo, Alessandro Fusari, Colleen Begg, Marcelino Foloma & Francisco Pariela

watermark.php

Download the entire paper at View attachment 2676.

The IUCN-SSC organised two regional workshops, one for West and Central Africa (2005) and one for Eastern and Southern Africa (2006), with the intention to gather major stakeholders and to produce regional conservation strategies for the lion. Mozambican authorities, together with local stakeholders, took part in the regional exercise for establishing the Regional Conservation Strategy for the Lion in Eastern and Southern Africa. They recognised the importance of establishing a National Action Plan for the Lion in Mozambique and realized the lack of comprehensive information for reviewing the lion profile in the country.

A survey has been launched to update the conservation status of the lion in Mozambique. The final report of this survey is expected to become a comprehensive material for submission as a contribution to a forthcoming National Action Plan workshop.

The current report is the final product of the whole survey made of three phases. The methods used are explained and results are provided. A database has been set up to collect and analyse the information available as well as the information generated by specific inquiries. Nine thematic maps have been drawn. The lion range in Mozambique is still quite extensive with a surface ranging between 515 000 and 610 000 km², i.e. 66 to 78% of the terrestrial surface of the country. An assessment of the lion population size has been attempted with a tentative number of 2 700 individuals in Mozambique at this stage. The lion appears unevenly distributed: although more lion range (71%) lies in non-gazetted areas outside Protected Areas (named Conservation Areas in this country), a majority of the lion observations come from Protected Areas including National Parks, National Reserves, Hunting Blocks, Coutadas (Game Reserves), Community Programmes and Fazendas do bravio (Game Ranches). In line with the regional Lion Conservation Units (LCU), 3 national LCUs are suggested for Mozambique. Human/lion conflicts are of great concern in this country, especially in northern (Niassa and Cabo Delgado Provinces) and western (Tete Province) Mozambique.

Download the entire paper at View attachment 2676.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EllieBoatm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross