Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI, DSC, NRA
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Tanzania, Zambia, Republic of Congo, Canada
After reading Martin Pieter's post about the conservation efforts in the Omay I was curious about the importance conservation plays when you choose an outfitter. Is price the of the safari more important than the operator performing active anti-poaching? Are you willing to spend a little extra knowing the operator is not shooting every animal on quota just because parks forces them to pay for the animal?

I have been fortunate to hunt areas that were devoid of game until the current operators took over. Andrew Baldry (Royal Kafue) in Zambia is a good example of an operator taking an area with no game and turning it in to a paradise. Mokore Safaris in Coutada 9, Mozambique is another great example. Bubye Valley Conservancy, most of the Save Valley Conservancy, Nuanetsi, all in Zimbabwe are models of conservation.

Buzz Charlton at CM Safaris runs a great anti-poaching unit called DAPU, Martin posted recently about his efforts among many others.

Hopefully we continue to support these operators and put our money where our mouths are concerning conservation.

Interesting angle Mike. I suppose I have done so, though the decision, truthfully, was an indirect one. I have always chosen outfitters based upon the quality of the experience offered. That often means I am not hunting with the cheapest option in the region. Typically such operations are responsible for, as opposed to merely using, large concessions. That effort inevitably includes wells, support to the local communities, and an active anti-poaching effort. Grant Taylor in Mozambique is another example of the one of Africa's real stewards of its land and wildlife. I would think your logic could and should be extended to the fenced environments as well. Those game farms which support healthy self-sustaining populations of game are very different from the "put-and-take" enclosures created simply to allow the killing of a game list.

Great thread. I was thinking about this same issue. I am off for my first hunt this year with KMG whom I assessed by his reviews here as having a great reputation. Meeting him in person sealed the deal. However, if I am considering a new outfitter in the future, I am positive that the outfitter's conservation and community activities will be used by me to judge the kind of character I am entrusting myself to. I think these activities should be proudly displayed on their website. Such information will also allow antis who cruise the website to understand what is at stake.

Red Leg,

Excellent points. Typically the operators that are good conservationist also a very good at the other aspects of the experience. Without the South Africa operators there would be far less, if any, game in those areas also.

No conservation = no product. Basic business common sense.

The true hunter is the true conservationist.

We protect what we hunt.

It has always figured into my decisions.
Conservation efforts: anti poaching, species re-introductions, community involvement, quota management, self sustaining populations and diverse populations of species that are not hunted (balanced eco system).

Unless you are on a "Boma hunt" your money is being put where our mouths is on these hunts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg