Mtgoat

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA Life Member
Hunted
Namibia, Canada (BC, SK, Nunavut & NWT), US (Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Nebraska, New Mexico, NY, Ohio, South Dakota, Texas, & Washington)
I'm trying to make flight reservations to JNB with miles. Of course, the airlines are stingy with seats. It is looking like my best chance of getting a seat is via Heathrow. What is entailed with making a connection there with a gun?

I wouldn't recommend going through England at all. My buddy did the last time we went (2 yrs ago) and he couldn't take his rifle (airline restriction he was also using air miles). Amsterdam has restrictions and so does Frankfurt.

Cliffy, miles or cash it will not make a differance on taking a firearm. If you fly British through heathrow you just need to check them all the way and NOT colect your lugage along the way. If you go through amsterdam then you MUST do the paperwork BEFORE you depart. As far as Frankford goes I haven't traveled trough there in a while. YOUR best bet is to fly with Delta If you are departing from the US

I have a huge balance in my United account. I really need to fly on Star Alliance airlines.

I have a huge balance in my United account. I really need to fly on Star Alliance airlines.

I did Star Alliance miles this past summer flying Lufthansa from LAX to Frankfurt, and SAA from there to Jo'burg. Use this website: www.aeroplan.com

You'll need to sign up for that website, but it's free. You then go to the "Use Miles" button and you can figure out an itinerary. It'll take some effort, but it can be done.

Be flexible what city you're willing to fly from. As mentioned I had to fly out of LAX, so I just did a Southwest flight from Phoenix the night before we left. I would avoid United, just seems nothing I read is good about flying them with guns especially thru London.

I did Star Alliance miles this past summer flying Lufthansa from LAX to Frankfurt, and SAA from there to Jo'burg.
+1

A much better option...

Mtgoat
I agree that cash or miles makes no difference I just mentioned it as an aside. My friend went AM/BA and they wouldn't take his rifle so I had to bring one for him as I went Delta through Atlanta. I just don't like the hassle of going through Europe. It can be a PIA but if you have boo-coo miles to use then the difficulties can be overcome with enough planning and forethought. I do think however that transfer from one airline to another BETWEEN airports in England has to be done with a bonded agent for the rifle. I could be wrong but I don't think so.

I'm trying to make flight reservations to JNB with miles. Of course, the airlines are stingy with seats. It is looking like my best chance of getting a seat is via Heathrow. What is entailed with making a connection there with a gun?

Mtgoat as detutt says if your airlines have a code share heathrow is probably the simplest . you check your baggage and guncase all the way to your destination and dont see it till you arrive there. you dont need permits or anything when transiting heathrow. with BA you need to let them know at least 72 hours in advance you are travelling with firearms and what type cal they are and thats it. you wont need to change airport as all african flights go out of heathrow not gatwick, whether its BA or virgin or SAA. BA is terminal 5, Virgin terminal 3 and SAA terminal 1. i have heard one US airline wont take firearms to the uk but i believe that is because they screwed up a couple of times and got fined.

Call Lori at Travel Express. I believe her name on here is Safari Gal. She did a great job with my flights last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuigrande

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross