AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
Safari Club International strongly opposes Representative Vern Buchanan's (R-FL-16) amendment to H.R. 3055, an appropriations rider which would prohibit the import of sport-hunted elephant and lion from Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe.

"We strongly oppose this legislative effort to interfere with heavily regulated and effectively managed hunting," said SCI President Paul Babaz. "It has been proven time and time again that licensed, regulated hunting is crucially important to wildlife conservation in Africa. It secures five times more habitat than in national parks in Tanzania and almost three times more habitat than in national parks in Zambia and Zimbabwe. It funds anti-poaching and government conservation programs. And it incentivizes greater tolerance among rural people who live side-by-side with these species."

The wildlife management authorities of Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe, the 183 Parties to the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES), the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) and the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) along with other scientific authorities credit licensed, regulated hunting as the cornerstone of successful conservation and wildlife management programs. As a result, these three countries are recognized by the IUCN as having some of the world's largest populations of elephant and lion.

In response to previous calls like Rep. Buchanan's to ban trophy imports, the IUCN published a briefing paper describing how hunting is a positive driver for conservation because it increases the value of wildlife and the habitats it depends on. More specifically, according to the IUCN:

"Well managed trophy hunting, which takes place in many parts of the world, can and does generate critically needed incentives and revenue for government, private and community landowners to maintain and restore wildlife as a land use and to carry out conservation actions (including anti-poaching interventions). It can return much needed income, jobs, and other important economic and social benefits to indigenous and local communities in places where these benefits are often scarce."

The IUCN went on to say that bans, like the one Mr. Buchanan has proposed, "are blunt instruments that risk undermining important benefits for both conservation and local livelihoods, thus exacerbating rather than addressing the prevailing major threats of habitat loss and poaching."

"If Congress is serious about protecting the wildlife in Tanzania, Zambia, and Zimbabwe then they must not ignore the abundance of scientific evidence that highlights the clear positive relationship between big game hunting and successful conservation efforts," SCI President Babaz said. "An effective ban on the import of elephant and lion trophies from these countries would be detrimental to their conservation efforts and harmful to these species. If Congress truly wants to help wildlife, they should leave management to the experts, both here and abroad."

Source: Safari Club International (SCI)

I'd say get rid of these people but we live in a democracy . . .

The sad thing is that Congressman Buchanan probably means well. Probably thinks this bill rider would help protect wildlife. He is a hunter and a life NRA member. I sent him a letter. But this bill demonstrates one real danger to hunting......ignorance...we have to fight the anti's, but also the well meaning ignorant........FWB

Thanks for sharing!

He may well be a hunter and NRA member but he is still a politician and still sucking for votes regardless who they come from. The vote overrides common sense and doing the right thing.

Oh look, another politician acting like they know better than actual wildlife biologists. Can you say cheap pandering for votes?

Vote them out!
That’s the whole problem! The antis are better organized and better funded, and the appeal to emotion is more powerful than the appeal to reason.

"...an appropriations rider..."

A.K.A. SHONKY, BACKDOOR LEGISLATION. :A Thumbs Down:

Is there a term similar to RINO that addresses supposed hunters and NRA members? If so Congressman Buchanan would be a proud member of that group. Shame on him!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marquesgriffin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois