Confidence Schemes, one more way to take your money!

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
I subscribe to a lot of email lists from Outfitters and I found this to be an interesting topic for hunters and Outfitters. A confidence scheme, they are as old as the hills. Pay attention.

Pretending to be the Outfitter and sending new banking details. Unsuspecting hunters, having developed trust after screening their Outfitter, just take the information on its face and it's all over with a few clicks of a button.

Note: Mokore Safaris Warning in their latest newsletter.

image003.png

My thoughts exactly
References, referenses always. Contact former clients AND check them out, too, to make sure they aren't plants. Outfitters on AH are bonafide and legit and will usually be at one of the shows. Face to face is best.

References, referenses always. Contact former clients AND check them out, too, to make sure they aren't plants. Outfitters on AH are bonafide and legit and will usually be at one of the shows. Face to face is best.
I think that is what the warning is about!

References checked, details worked out. Sound operator. Great References. You go to pay and somewhere between checking those References and your money landing into the appropriate account..... These scumbags, probably Liberian or Russian or one of the staff at the Outfitters... has hacked in and with a slight quirk has gotten a letter or dot or something different on the email and has gotten you to deposit money into the scammers account instead of the Outfitters.

These schemes have been around a while. The outfitter in the example is warning clients to be extra careful. This goes way beyond checking References.

Last edited:
You are missing the point. This is a great outfitter.

I would not send any funds overseas without coordination and verification from the PH/Outfitter.

Reactions: WAB
Agreed. You have to be very careful with international wires. Get the banking details from the recipient. Confirm via another form of communication (WhatsApp) that they did in fact send them. Accept no changes without similar verification. Proof the wire fastidiously before approval.

There are huge, professional teams of scammers in Jamacia amonst other places. They have become crafty and have technology on their side. I get a couple emails a day that are scams. Not the Nigerian prince letter anymore, no they say they want to buy my sheep etc.
Be very careful these days.
Regards,
Philip

Always leery of wiring any money anywhere, I made a plan with my outfitter where I wired a token amount ($100 if I remember correctly), then once confirmed that the money indeed went to his account I wired the full amount. The peace-of-mind way offset the extra cost of another wire and easy way to remove all doubt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois