Complete first timer hunter questions

Thanks for the tips as well.
Yeah, getting a hunting license here can take several years then needs to be maintained. Hence my wife's idea.
@Arni's
You have a wise wife there.
I agree with hunt Namibia the prices are usually cheaper.
Depending on what you want a trophy hunt or combination cull trophy hunt.
In hindsight sight I should have done the combined hunt but didn't regret the trophy hunt.
Bob

I think the main thing for a first hunt is don't overcomplicate it. Perhaps go for just four animals and really savour the experience. A zebra is always good because the skin is so beautiful and relatively inexpensive to tan. Have fun looking at the different areas, just see what appeals to you. Then research an outfitters operating there, you can get some references from this site. Talk directly to them too, they are very helpful. Finally, make your choice and get excited about your upcoming hunt!
As to areas, South Africa is a good start and relatively inexpensive. The outfitters will have everything off pat, from picking you up to taxidermy. I would say stick to PG for a first hunt, then do your buffalo as a dedicated hunt in the future so you can really relish that different experience. For that you could consider Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, Tanzania, Namibia. South Africa has great buffalo hunting too, but variety is the spice of life.
@Kevin Peacocke
One of the people with us got a he'll of a shock when he got the tanning bill for his bull girrafe skin. I think it was around 3,000 dollars Australian.
Bob

Everything has been mentioned before so her is my 2 cents worth.

I would suggest Limpopo or North West Province in South Africa as you don't have to worry about connecting domestic flights which saves time and money. The terrain is mostly flat and as it is bushveld and not open plains you don't have to worry about being super fit to chase long distances and up and down mountains.

Animal selection: I would not hunt any dangerous game as a first timer. Plus it is WAY more expensive. Stick to about 4-6 animals such as Impala, Blesbok, Blue Wildebeest, Kudu / Zebra. Baring in mind that both kudu and Zebra may require a little more of a long day in the field and kudu also love more hilly terrain. A Warthog is also a nice animal to take purely for variety sake but sometimes one just doesn't get them (wily little buggers if they are under pressure)

Hiring a rifle is a good option so don't worry about that and the driving, that is all taken care of. Try and practice as much as possible with a suitable rifle (off shooting sticks) before you arrive. No good practising with a .22LR and then have to shoot a .308 or .30-06 on your hunt.

Check out the outfitters on this site in the area you intend to hunt, they will answer all your questions, and even many you never thought to ask!! They will also work out the best package for your budget as well as advise you on dip n ship option versus complete taxidermy in SA. I would suggest dip n ship to Europe as shipping costs are very high at the moment. And as mentioned this is a long process so you have time to build up your finances and then decide if you have the money for shoulder mount or euro mount etc.

Mistakes first timers make... buying brand new boots to hunt in and don't wear them in before arrival! Not practising enough with a rifle. Not being fit enough for the game they are hunting. Add on expenses such tipping etc. Not realising that if you wound and don't recover you still pay for the animal. But probably the biggest mistake is not taking the time to enjoy the experience and not taking enough photos!

Speak to the outfitters they will answer it all.
@Zambezi
Sorry to dissagre with you practicing with a 22 but before we went my son went thru close on 2,000 round of 22lr practicing off sticks and different field positions.
After that it was about 50 round of 308 doing the same. After that I reckon he could shoot a gnat off a flys arse at 100 yards all day.
He wouldn't have got his skill levels up if I had to pay for a couple ofthousand 308s I just couldn't afford it.
Bob

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen
For training with 22lr, I am fully with you.

I trained with 22lr, field positions - I lost count, but hundreds of them.
308 win FMJ. bulk, maybe 100
30-06 FMJ, bulk, maybe 50
9.3x62 - maybe 20-30

Each session of training would be 22lr, and when warmed up, I would switch to center fire, one of the rifles, shooting at 100 and 200 meters, live size target of animals.

I did mention somwehre on the forum in earlier posts more exact numbers of shots I made during training, when the memories were fresh the number of shots done at range, but generally, this is the ratio.The 22lr is the most of training compared to other calibers.

@Zambezi
Sorry to dissagre with you practicing with a 22 but before we went my son went thru close on 2,000 round of 22lr practicing off sticks and different field positions.
After that it was about 50 round of 308 doing the same. After that I reckon he could shoot a gnat off a flys arse at 100 yards all day.
He wouldn't have got his skill levels up if I had to pay for a couple ofthousand 308s I just couldn't afford it.
Bob
I don't disagree with you at all. Training with a .22lr should be in everyone's training and practise routine but I think one has to practise with the type pf weapon you will be hunting with as well. The way your son went about it is exactly the way I would have done it myself.

The reality of life is, that some ammuntion costs, more then other.
In theory, yes, it would be reccomended to train with rilfe which will be used on safari.
But: how many shots in one training session can somebidy make with 505 gibbs, or 416 rigby, or some of 4-hundreds in double rifle?
And then what will be the cost of training with that type ammunition?

Then, there is a question, what if someone is using rental rifle from the camp, not fully familiar with?

On the other thand, a good marskman, is good marskman. And this is achieved only by trigger time, regardless of caliber.

Give a good shooter with serious trigger time, (who doesnt suffer from buck fever sindrome) a 30-06, or 375 or 416, let him check te rifle with few shots on the range, and he will do the job in the field. From springbok to buffalo.

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen
For training with 22lr, I am fully with you.

I trained with 22lr, field positions - I lost count, but hundreds of them.
308 win FMJ. bulk, maybe 100
30-06 FMJ, bulk, maybe 50
9.3x62 - maybe 20-30

Each session of training would be 22lr, and when warmed up, I would switch to center fire, one of the rifles, shooting at 100 and 200 meters, live size target of animals.

I did mention somwehre on the forum in earlier posts more exact numbers of shots I made during training, when the memories were fresh the number of shots done at range, but generally, this is the ratio.The 22lr is the most of training compared to other calibers.
@mark-hunter.
For my son I put up reactive targets at various distances 25, 50, 75 and 100 yards and would c a LL out the target I wanted shot in random order. As he improved I change the targets around and put the bigger targets closer and as the distance got longer the targets got smaller.
Hard yards yes w orth it deffinatly.
Bib

@Arni's - Everyone else has covered your initial questions very well and I imagine that you are scouring the nooks and crannies of AH for other answers.

One of the biggest things I'd say is be honest with yourself and your PH about your skills and communicate with him. Do your dry fire practice and live fire range testing from sticks. If you are not comfortable with a shot on an animal, don't take it. One drop of blood equals trophy fee paid, whether you recover the animal or not. Above all, stay positive. Your safari will be an emotional roller coaster, but staying positive even at a seemingly low time makes everything easier. Nothing is really as bad as it seems at the time.

@Arni's - Everyone else has covered your initial questions very well and I imagine that you are scouring the nooks and crannies of AH for other answers.

One of the biggest things I'd say is be honest with yourself and your PH about your skills and communicate with him. Do your dry fire practice and live fire range testing from sticks. If you are not comfortable with a shot on an animal, don't take it. One drop of blood equals trophy fee paid, whether you recover the animal or not. Above all, stay positive. Your safari will be an emotional roller coaster, but staying positive even at a seemingly low time makes everything easier. Nothing is really as bad as it seems at the time.
@BeeMaa
The only thing I can think of that is as bad as it seems at the time is purchasing a 243.
Bad move at any time.
Bob

Is Namibia a reasonable choice for a first time Africa hunt? And how does one choose a “cull” hunt vs a traditional PG hunt. Also, I am a 69 year old guy and am not interested in significant physician challenges. Marksmanship is not a problem.

Is Namibia a reasonable choice for a first time Africa hunt? And how does one choose a “cull” hunt vs a traditional PG hunt. Also, I am a 69 year old guy and am not interested in significant physician challenges. Marksmanship is not a problem.
Namibia would be a good choice for a first time Africa hunt, but it also depends on what you want. You should speak to several outfitters about what you had in mind and see how you like them and vice versa. Be honest with them about your physical limitations and expectations. Normally this would be done at a convention like DSC or SCI...etc. Right now the internet is your friend and even at 69, you can pound the keyboard for answers.

As far as booking a cull hunt specifically, keep an eye on the classifieds here. Also, when you are speaking to outfitters, ask if they have something like that available. If you did something like the link below, it would be an awesome way to come home with a bunch of Zebra rugs that you could give out as gifts to family. And I'm sure you could negotiate additional animals if you wanted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg