Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
NAPHA.jpg

Recently an article entitled “Shock Wildlife Truths” appeared by Louzel Lombard Steyn, published by Traveller 24, exposing lion poaching in South Africa. This comes in the wake of the Department of Environmental Affairs in South Africa announcing a ban on lion bone exports, but also considering the legal trade/exportation of a proposed quota of 800 skeletons (Department of Environmental Affairs Media release), obtained from captive bred lions. This will however first be communicated to the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Fauna and Flora (CITES) Secretariat.

According to the CEO of the Southern African Predator Association (SAPA) Carla van der Vyver, they support the quota in order to promote transparency in the industry, however it should be realistic. They do however consider a quota of 800 skeletons too small. According to their figures there are between 8000 to 8500 captive bred lions in South Africa.

In a response article by the TRUE GREEN ALLIANCE i.e. Ron Thompson, they supported, welcomed and promoted the decision by the Minister of Environmental Affairs in South Africa. Their arguments are:
“the bones were obtained legally, they are a by-product of a perfectly legal farming enterprise and their export will have no impact on the wild lion population whatsoever. Her decision to allow this export complies with South Africa’s National Conservation Strategy; and it is within the parameters laid down by the IUCN’s World Conservation Strategy (1980) upon which South Africa’s National Conservation Strategy was constructed. And the minister has complied with all the CITES requirements.”

This might all be true and cross-border in South Africa, but this tendency might very well roll over to Namibia as is the case with colour variants;

NAPHA as an organisation stands on firm principles and believes, which as a consequence led to a very good relationship with the Ministry of Environment and Tourism as well as other National and International organisations.

Our association promotes the protection and maintaining of diverse and healthy wildlife populations in order to ensure its sustainable utilization in the long term. This entails that wildlife should be cared for and managed in a natural habitat (not artificially as in the case with lion breeding), as well as to prevent the over-exploitation of wildlife and destructive practices.

As a result NAPHA would like to express its disappointment with the intentions of South Africa in considering the trade and proposed quota on Lion bones.

NAPHA does not support the trade in lion bones or the commercial breeding of lions in Namibia.

Source: Namibia Professional Hunting Association (NAPHA)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-02 at 12.27.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-02 at 12.27.30 PM.png
    892.3 KB · Views: 183
  • Screen Shot 2017-06-02 at 12.27.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-02 at 12.27.34 PM.png
    631.2 KB · Views: 228
Ok. I think that the bones are no different than those from a cow or pig that has been harvested for use. If people poach lions for the bones then why not flood the market with legally obtained by product.

Not that it probably matters a lick, but I neither wholly agree nor wholly disagree with NAPHA's position. I do however believe that their position is more sound philosophically than practically.
Generally speaking, we as hunters tend to believe that destroying elephant ivory as some countries have done recently is a fools errand. It could and should be used in a positive, constructive way that helps combat poaching and the illegal ivory trade as well as funding conservation.
So why is it that legally harvested lion bones might not be used to the same effect? We know there is a market demand that fuels poaching and black market trade.
I am wholly against the "less than ethical" practices that have been employed by some CBL operations in South Africa. These bad actors absolutely should be weeded out. But the positions that NAPHA and PHASA have taken on the CBL issue seem to lump anyone, everyone and everything into one category without a willingness to consider or acknowledge that there might be merits worth considering. This seems like painting with a very broad brush.
The division that this has created within the hunting community certainly has not done anyone any favors. Except maybe the anti-hunters.
I want desperately to support NAPHA and PHASA, but they are making it terribly difficult. At least for me.

Last edited:
Not that it probably matters a lick, but I neither wholly agree nor wholly disagree with NAPHA's position. I do however believe that their position is more sound philosophically than practically.
Generally speaking, we as hunters tend to believe that destroying elephant ivory as some countries have done recently is a fools errand. It could and should be used in a positive, constructive way that helps combat poaching and the illegal ivory trade as well as funding conservation.
So why is it that legally harvested lion bones might not be used to the same effect? We know there is a market demand that fuels poaching and black market trade.
I am wholly against the "less than ethical" practices that have been employed by some CBL operations in South Africa. These bad actors absolutely should be weeded out. But the positions that NAPHA and PHASA have taken on the CBL issue seem to lump anyone, everyone and everything into one category without a willingness to consider or acknowledge that there might be merits worth considering. This seems like painting with a very broad brush.
The division that this has created within the hunting community certainly has not done anyone an favors. Except maybe the anti-hunters.
I want desperately to support NAPHA and PHASA, but they are making it terribly difficult. At least for me.

I think you've hit the nail on the head at least in regards to my opinion. I would add a few thoughts to the CBL issue that I believe to be true, but I could be wrong.

1) There was a time some years ago that the issue of how some operations were running was less than honorable/ethical, in other words just plain wrong. Whether that be shooting a drugged lion in the spot it was dropped out of a portable cage or the conditions under which the lion was raised. I'm not sure, I just know there was concern.

2) Concerns were brought to PHASA and perhaps even acknowledged to some degree, but no action was taken.

3) I believe that SAPA (South African Predators Association) is now and has been putting together recommendations/regulations for CBL breeding/hunting.

I hope number 3 is the case and I hope that a mutual agreement with PHASA can be found. I don't believe that "throwing the baby out with the bathwater" is the best course forward.

@AfricaHunting.com, I'm not sure we need another 12 pages (or more) on this subject . . . but you seem to like to stir this particular pot!

A lion is an animal. It has no special moral standing which other animals do not. The fact that some use it as an icon does not change that. NAPHA can do whatever it likes - it is accountable to its members, not to me, not to us, and certainly not to the rest of the world.

Having said that, Eugene Lapointe, former Secretary General of CITES, had this to say at the closing of the 2016 Conference of the Parties in Johannesburg:

However we cannot burn trade, it is a concept - most likely the most important concept in the history of humankind that has allowed societies, communities and peoples to link together. So we decided instead, to burn the symbols of the concept i.e. ivory tusks, rhino horns and other confiscated wildlife specimens.

But while the bonfire was on, we threw in it the history book that tells us that prohibitions do not work, have never worked, and will never work. (Emphasis added)

Lions bones are a natural byproduct of lion hunting and captive lion raising. To refuse to trade in lion bones - in the face of the existing demand - will have the same result that the ban on rhino horn and ivory have had. That is, the wild population will eventually be decimated.

Roman Catholics have an expression - "being more Catholic than the Pope" (for anyone offended, I am RC!). NAPHA seems to have reached that position. This position is completely unnecessary, it's illogical, and it will hurt wildlife.

I guess that means we should get ready for it.

I think Namibia is charting a very particular course for its brand of sustainable utilization. In referring to the position of the True Green Alliance they say:

This might all be true and cross-border in South Africa, but this tendency might very well roll over to Namibia as is the case with colour variants;

So, they don't dispute the correctness of the position in South Africa. Their concern is on the impact in Namibia.

Their philosophy for Namibia is expressed as:

This entails that wildlife should be cared for and managed in a natural habitat (not artificially as in the case with lion breeding), as well as to prevent the over-exploitation of wildlife and destructive practices.

Which is probably a unique proposition for a country developing like Namibia. But, is not really a realistic goal for a place like South Africa. Namibia is only a little older than my daughter. And, like her, has the opportunity to shape her future as she sees fit. I hope they are successful because they will create a very unique opportunity to showcase sustainable utilization.

However, they overstep when they speak about what is good practice in South Africa, in doing so they contradict their acknowledged acceptance of the True Green Alliance position. I can only surmise that they are trying to protect their model by taking this strong stand.

As a result NAPHA would like to express its disappointment with the intentions of South Africa in considering the trade and proposed quota on Lion bones.

In saying this they dilute what they are apparently concerned about, which is:

NAPHA does not support the trade in lion bones or the commercial breeding of lions in Namibia.

But, in the end, I think the concern is in regards to how it will impact the development of sustainable utilization in Namibia. They are developing a very pure idea of wildlife utilization. Maybe due to their own cultural norms, or maybe out of respect for the threat to their plan created by the antis. Maybe due to the threat on their culture the antis pose. Whatever the motivation, I think it sets a standard that a place like Mozambique could aspire to. And, wouldn't that be a great thing?

@AfricaHunting.com, I'm not sure we need another 12 pages (or more) on this subject . . . but you seem to like to stir this particular pot!

Besides bringing the latest to our community I hope that these hunting organizations and the people in them pay attention to these threads as there are so many constructive and intelligent replies from our members that would benefit them tremendously. For once hearing the thoughts and opinions of real hunters (their clients) instead of just those voices from inside of their echo chambers could be truly beneficial. I hope it is not seen as wanting to stir the pot because it is not my intention, I really hope that something constructive could come from it.

Besides bringing the latest to our community I hope that these hunting organizations and the people in them pay attention to these threads as there are so many constructive and intelligent replies from our members that would benefit them tremendously. For once hearing the thoughts and opinions of real hunters (their clients) instead of just those voices from inside of their echo chambers could be truly beneficial. I hope it is not seen as wanting to stir the pot because it is not my intention, I really hope that something constructive could come from it.

Double like!!! (y)(y)(y)

Like I said in another thread, it's not time to "move on" it's time to have these conversations, then have them again and adjust, then again, and again.

If we need to :A Stirring: in order to make this happen, so be it.

I personally really liked this. It seems to me Namibia, whether private speakers, official delegations or organizations, is presenting a very defined vision for their country. However, the discussion risks inadvertently impugning the ethics of those who have had such hunts or offer them. These folks are, in my experience, very ethical and concerned conservationists. They are rightly upset about the issue.

I think the evolution of this issue is important. But, I am also thinking what is right for one country is not right for another. I wish that message would get across. Ron Thompson speaks about it in his book. Just like any other wildlife issue, one must consider the whole environment.

I think the evolution of this issue is important. But, I am also thinking what is right for one country is not right for another. I wish that message would get across. Ron Thompson speaks about it in his book. Just like any other wildlife issue, one must consider the whole environment.

Totally agree. I don't see much difference between Namibia taking a position on what should be done in SA and USFWS taking a position on what should be done in SA, or anywhere else for that matter.

Double like!!! (y)(y)(y)

Like I said in another thread, it's not time to "move on" it's time to have these conversations, then have them again and adjust, then again, and again.

If we need to :A Stirring: in order to make this happen, so be it.
Double Dog Like!!! (y)(y)(y)
Particularly at a time when NAPHA is considering expanding it's membership base, it would seem very prudent for them to consider very carefully all points of view.
This thread and others found on AH are the best collection I have seen anywhere of the many points of view that serve to illustrate the complexity of the CBL issue.
Should be mandatory reading for every NAPHA and PHASA member. In my humble opinion :D

Can AH leadership reach out to the various PH assns and encourage thier membership? They could even get some sort of special banner on their avatar. That way they could post this stuff themselves and field questions as they arise.

I'm actually surprised that more of these various groups haven't joined in an official capacity already- sci, dcs, napha, sapa, phasa, etc etc. AH is a great place to reach a big chunk of the hunting community.

Can AH leadership reach out to the various PH assns and encourage thier membership? They could even get some sort of special banner on their avatar. That way they could post this stuff themselves and field questions as they arise.

I'm actually surprised that more of these various groups haven't joined in an official capacity already- sci, dcs, napha, sapa, phasa, etc etc. AH is a great place to reach a big chunk of the hunting community.
I have approached most of them, all but sapa. They are aware of our community. My personal opinion is that they have avoided participating as they see more risk then reward. As you do, I see a lot of upside for those organizations to really connect with hunters. Perhaps one day they will come around. I especially find it a huge missed opportunity from PHASA and NAPHA that they do not even post their press releases here. Most of the time I can't even get NAPHA to answer an email when we have a specific question here.

My personal opinion is that they have avoided participating as they see more risk then reward.

Agree. It's sad, but true.

Most outfitters don't share opinions, and certainly not strong ones, here for the same reason. From a purely business standpoint what's the upside to them?

I especially find it a huge missed opportunity from PHASA and NAPHA that they do not even post their press releases here.

Sometimes I think PHASA doesn't want anyone to actually read their press releases.

I especially find it a huge missed opportunity from PHASA and NAPHA that they do not even post their press releases here.

Hopefully they will catch on to this new thing called the "internet."

While many aspects of the hunting world are still old fashioned- word of mouth, press releases, conventions, magazines, etc., sooner or later the industry is going to have to modernize in order to communicate with their customer base.

i must be stupid,because i see no difference between captive bred lions and any other animal bred for the purpose of hunting.its either fair chase or not. bad outfitters and bad hunters or not.if fair chase then im for it and if the wild lion hunters are pissed because the captive bred lion hunts are cheaper,tough.wild and c.b.ls hunted ethically are the same except you might get killed faster by the cbl lion because it isnt as much afraid of humans as a wild lion. those against the cbls are showing quite a bit of hypocrites.just my opinion,wont bother responding as i dont want to get into a beating the dead horse.the horse never get up and runs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg