Comment about suggested shot placement for bow hunting cape buffaloes

Paolo Mauritania

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Mauritania-Senegal border
I looked at the suggested shot placement for bow hunters, and found that the option of back shot placement. Now, question, given the uncooperative nature of the beast, if wounded; do you really recommend to shoot a Cape Buffalo in the a......s?

I don't think a serious minded bowhunter would.

No matter where you shoot one I'd want a PH beside me shooting a big ass double rifle and I wouldn't mind if he's a bit trigger happy lol.

I looked at the suggested shot placement for bow hunters, and found that the option of back shot placement. Now, question, given the uncooperative nature of the beast, if wounded; do you really recommend to shoot a Cape Buffalo in the a......s?
I can't imagine any PH in his right mind would let a client take such a shot. On the other hand, if you were an English bowman of yore, with a 150# yew wood war bow, well, then, maybe. But why?

I hunted mine in May of last year. I drew 3 times before I felt comfortable with releasing an arrow. My ph had a 458 Lott ready to go once I released an arrow. On my personal experience I had an agreement if he turned and started to come our way he would fire at said buffalo. If I could get another arrow in him I would but safety comes first. Luckily one arrow is all it took at 26 yds but like I said I took time to make my shot count. Other than that it would be tough to shoot them in the hind end.

1598897240338.png

You are referring to this shot?

Make your first shot count, when it comes to this type of shot after it has been wounded it is time for a medium to large bore rifle...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hi88vipsite

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg