Comb riser options for walnut stock?

Jenkins762

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Been lurking here a while now but finally have a question that I can't seem to find an answer to in an existing thread. I have a custom VZ-24 in 9.3x62 with a stock fitted to me for aperture sights, but am looking to add a scope to the rifle. I've noticed a lot of rifles that have QD scopes with backup irons, but have never seen one of these rifles with adjustable comb heights for switching between the two. With a scope on my rifle elevated properly for bolt cycling clearance I need almost another inch of comb height for a proper fit. Is there a "traditional" way to achieve this without adding some sort of tactical looking adjustable riser?

Also, I dont plan on this being a QD scope since I'd have to remove the rear sight to install the rear scope base. It would be more of a configure before going on a hunt or to the range sort of thing.

Thanks!

Jenkins - I also have dealt with the VZ-24 Mauser stock/scope/irons issue. The solution will need to address what you see as the "Goldilocks" solution for you personally. Here are options I know about:

1. Perform major surgery - cut out the cheek piece from your stock - mount it on two rails that you have adjustment holes drilled through to move pins that hold it at the right height for your ocular cavity alignment. Lots of intricate work = $ unless you are skilled enough to do it.

2. Buy an At-One stock from Boyd's - something like $204 - it has this adjustment in the comb/cheekrest built it, in addition to the same system for the LOP, and you get the benefit of stability due to the laminate construction. If you need to pull the scope, you re-adjust the comb down to align with your apeture/iron sights.

3. Use a Beartooth Creek neoprene sleeve on your stock - under the sleeve you stack enough foam pieces to raise the comb to the correct occular alignment. It shifts around some, but I am able to make it into a Goldilocks solution on my .375 Ruger Alaskan with a Hogue overmold stock, so it works on any stock you have on your rifle. If you need to pull the scope you can also pull the sleeve off. Not as easy as the At-One, but feasible. Cost here is $25 or $30 at Brownells.

I am using #2 and #3 - The At-One is already purchased and the rifle is under construction. The Neoprene sleeve has been in use for a year and is generally adequate - does shift a little, but is also human friendly in terms of soft and not freezing cold in deer season against the cheek vs. plastic on the At-One.

The At-One is made to the exact inletting length of the VZ-24, but instead of searching for "Mauser", search for Brno as the manufacturer - this will get you the inletting that is the 3/8" shorter version for VZ-24s vs. the 98 Mauser pattern.

Hope this helps!

Triple K leather sells a lace on leather cheek piece. Raising comb 1/4, 1/2 or 3/4 your choice. They look rather nice, and classic; especially when laced on with a leather boot lace. No major surg required, and returns to original in a few minutes. Some of their products for sale at BPS I think.......FWB

I’m using option 3.
6C6D8341-7E24-4721-AB9B-EF5B74DAA7D0.jpeg

Thanks for the replies! I think the bolt shroud might hit a pad if I go that route, so it looks like I'm either getting a new stock or performing the major surgery option.

Has anyone ever added adjustable hardware to their stock before like the At-One has on it? I customized, fitted, glass bed, and finished the current stock myself, so I'd like to try and make the current one I have work before I buy a new stock. A quick search shows that Atlaswerxs and KMW make hardware that'd work. Anyone familiar with either of these brands?

Jenkins762, take a look at the rear sight offered by NECG for either CZ or BRNO rifles. You can switch from a scope to irons in moments or vice-versa. What I'm not sure of is if the rifle you have has the same style of mounting the rear base.

Thanks for the replies! I think the bolt shroud might hit a pad if I go that route, so it looks like I'm either getting a new stock or performing the major surgery option.

Has anyone ever added adjustable hardware to their stock before like the At-One has on it? I customized, fitted, glass bed, and finished the current stock myself, so I'd like to try and make the current one I have work before I buy a new stock. A quick search shows that Atlaswerxs and KMW make hardware that'd work. Anyone familiar with either of these brands?
I have a lot of rifles with dismountable scopes. Quite a few of those are pre-WWII express rifles stocked for open sights. I simply adjust my my cheek weld and never have an issue. Bullets seem to go exactly where they are supposed to go. It is certainly better than putting a bunch a mechanical nonsense into a perfectly good stock.

Of course, I can't abide what skeet shooters do to perfectly good OU's either.:Finger:

Try the wrapid comb before you do anything too expensive. The leather options are cool but they tend to interfere with removal of the bolt and they are too much of a pain to take off every time you clean the rifle.

One note, any of these ‘cheap’ options change the thickness of the comb at face. This may or may not be a problem for you.

L
IMG_8248.jpg
This was my solution....................FWB

Hornady makes a simple strap on that has a shell holder and small pocket. It will raise it up about a inch

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross