Colt Sauer Grand African 458 Win Max

Pudgy gopher

Reaction score
My father in-law recently passed and my MIL is looking to sell this gun as it hold no sentimental value to her. It is a mint condition Colt Sauer Grand African chambered 458 Win Max. It was made in West Germany by J.P Sauer and Sohn. If it was ever shot it wasn't fired more then a box.

The questions I have for the brain trust are what is this guns value? I understand it all depends on the market. Also what is the market for this gun? It is made for the big five African game animals. Is there even a market state side for this gun?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

My father in-law recently passed and my MIL is looking to sell this gun as it hold no sentimental value to her. It is a mint condition Colt Sauer Grand African chambered 458 Win Max. It was made in West Germany by J.P Sauer and Sohn. If it was ever shot it wasn't fired more then a box.

The questions I have for the brain trust are what is this guns value? I understand it all depends on the market. Also what is the market for this gun? It is made for the big five African game animals. Is there even a market state side for this gun?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Do you have pictures

There are several on the gun sales sights that appear to be like new and never hunted. They are all asking $4999.00 for them. This is an African rifle but likely never hunted . Most modern hunters would not want this rifle to hunt with for several reasons. A collector may be a more likely buyer if the gun is like new. The low end of this rifle is around $2500.

Since you are a new member, you will get a lot of questions so be prepared for them. You will need to take and download several photos if you want any serious interest.

1611690580539.jpeg

1611690614902.jpeg

1611690644614.jpeg

My wife took these I will ask her for better ones and post them when I get them. The gun is basic wood nice but not “oh wow” fancy. The condition is easily over 90%.

Go check out gunbroker to see what's on there and compare. You might have to watch for a while to see what they go for. From what I've seen in the past they seem like a tough sell but if you're reasonable and competitive with your price and list it in several places you can get it sold. The look of them in this condition is their best selling point. Honestly they just don't seem that popular for the price but the quality is there.

Go check out gunbroker to see what's on there and compare. You might have to watch for a while to see what they go for. From what I've seen in the past they seem like a tough sell but if you're reasonable and competitive with your price and list it in several places you can get it sold. The look of them in this condition is their best selling point. Honestly they just don't seem that popular for the price but the quality is there.
I've watched Colt/Sauer rifles for years on GunBroker. I've never seen a Grand African .458 sell without an actual auction where bidding takes place. Almost every one for sale is a "buy it now" add and priced at $4K plus. They never sell like that. My guess is that rifle would bring about $3500 if listed as a penny auction.

I've watched Colt/Sauer rifles for years on GunBroker. I've never seen a Grand African .458 sell without an actual auction where bidding takes place. Almost every one for sale is a "buy it now" add and priced at $4K plus. They never sell like that. My guess is that rifle would bring about $3500 if listed as a penny auction.

That is my estimate too. Another has since popped up on another forum for about that. I've watched a couple on GB for $3000 for quite a while. I'm not sure what they eventually went for.

Thanks for all of the info shared. I am not sure how we are going to sell this gun yet. I agree I don’t see getting more then $3500. It’s a nice gun. But if I was going to go on Safari I would likely take something different. That’s why I believe it is not a piece that has a lot of marketability. I mean it would be a fun gun for a weekend with friends, and pull out a big chambered gun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg