Colorado Draw Deadline Approaching April 5th. Need help?

Scott CWO

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
SCI, WSF, RMEF, GSCO, and NRA
Hunted
Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique x3, Tanzania and CAR. Tajikistan, Canada, Mexico, AK, WY, NM, SD, CO, UT, AZ, NV
If anyone has questions about the Colorado big game draw or how it works, feel free to ask me. I was on the stakeholder group in 1996 that formulated how the bighorn sheep, moose and mountain goat draws are conducted. I also know how the elk, deer, pronghorn and bear draw systems work. Applications for licenses and for preference points for licenses in future years are due by 8:00pm on Tuesday April 5th at cpwshop.com.

You can gain a point for any species by first buying an annual small game license online and then get a point for any big game species with code P-999-99-P as the first choice for any species. You must first create an account with your personal contact info before buying the small game license to get started. After the small game license is in your "cart", you can proceed to the big game species applications.

Some of you may know that I have managed a Colorado outfit since 1991 but I am not looking to book hunters as our hunts are pretty full. I am just offering knowledge of the draw system and hunting areas in Colorado for my friends on AH. Let me know if I can be of assistance!

That’s great to offer up insight into the intricacies of hunting in your state. I know AZ is crazy complicated, probably similar for CO. Maybe one day I can squeeze in some time to do a hunt there.

If I understand it correctly, one can buy Elk permits over the counter, depending on the unit, in Colorado? I may try one third season this year, if I can find a permit.

That’s great to offer up insight into the intricacies of hunting in your state. I know AZ is crazy complicated, probably similar for CO. Maybe one day I can squeeze in some time to do a hunt there.
Get some preference points now so you can draw when ready!

If I understand it correctly, one can buy Elk permits over the counter, depending on the unit, in Colorado? I may try one third season this year, if I can find a permit.
We have a bit of everything. Yes, there are some units where you can buy OTC elk licenses for archery, 2nd rifle and the 3rd rifle seasons. The muzzleloader, 1st rifle and 4th rifle season licenses in those same units are issued in the draw but do not take very many preference points.

Then we have other elk units where all licenses in all seasons are issued through the draw and the preference points needed to draw are generally higher but not always. Units with good quality elk, lots of public land and rut seasons take the most points. The number of points required to draw is influenced by the amount of licenses issued, quality (age class) of the elk, the amount of public land in the unit and season timing (rut). There are some excellent quality areas to hunt that do not take a lot of preference points because most of the land is private. When comparing two units of equal trophy quality, the unit with more public land will take more points to draw because the demand to hunt there is higher due to easier access.

Great info, I certainly did not know about the small game point. Thanks for sharing!

They just stated the requirement that you have to have a "qualifying" license to get into the draw or apply for a preference point a few years ago

Great info, I certainly did not know about the small game point. Thanks for sharing!
You can either apply for a big game species license or just a point for that specific species to be used in the future. If you don’t draw the license, you are awarded a point for that species for future use. However, before you can apply for a big game license or just a big game species point, you have to buy an annual small game license to access the big game draw system. The small game license is about $80 for nonresidents. Then, the application fees for each big game species are about $9 each. If you draw a big game license, your credit card is charged again later for the license fee for that species. There are no points for small game.

I know of a few that dropped out of the draw when the CP&W implemented the license requirement and they just started buying their OTC tags for elk. That lasted just one or two years when they realized that they were heavily invested in elk points to the point that they should keep putting in even if they did have to purchase a small game license. One thing that I would like for CP&W to do would be to allow non residents to purchase a combination smallgame/fishing license, they the non residents wouldn't feel like they were getting ripped off so bad. But if you do draw a big game tag that tag does come with a fishing license. But that combination license for a non resident would go a long ways to sooth some ruffled feathers.

I got my brother in law out of the point game in 2019 with a deer tag. He had more points than needed for the hunt that he drew but he drew it. However that was his last deer hunt and last deer due to all the covid restrictions in 2020 and he passed away last June.
mB8RzCy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So Can you apply for an Elk point, and then buy an OTC tag later? Do you lose the PP?

You can buy the point and you do not loose it if you purchase a OTC tag.

The only time that you loose your points is when you draw your first choice in the draws. If you draw any of your other choices 2nd and on you do not loose your points.

However if you decided to try for and draw a cow tag with your first choice then you will loose your points. Colorado has a single point system for each spices. So it doesn't matter which one you draw with your first choice you loose your points if you draw it.

So Can you apply for an Elk point, and then buy an OTC tag later? Do you lose the PP?
Yes, you can get a point and then buy an OTC license without losing the point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mchahine

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,