Mark Biggerstaff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
I am leaving for second trip in 60 days. I am taking both rifle and bow, flying Delta Houston-Atlanta-Johannesburg. I know clothes in rifle case are a big NO but what about bow case? Wanted to pack some around bow for cushion and have a set incase other bags dont make it.

I do it every time. I put the breakables in there as well. Pack clothes in around and on top until I hit the weight restriction. Everything else goes in a soft sided duffle.

Reading old posts, some have packed clothes with firearms in gun cases and not had a problem. I'd say it depends on your initial airport and the personnel on duty.

I always pack clothes, Bino’s, arrows, etc in my case. No issues on the 3 trips I’ve taken which departed from JFK and Wash Dulles.

I had plenty of extra equipment showing up to RSA and clothes, a light blanket and a few bottles of wine and booze coming back, no issue.
Once I told them it was a bow, not a rifle on arrival to RSA no one ever asked to open and look in my case as proof and let me go on my merry way.

Going over we left our cases clothes free, but coming home we threw clothes in. We didn't catch any grief. Just make sure they can clearly see in the case and establish there isn't anything but a bow inside.

I pack my bow case full of clothes for the extra padding and crush protection.

I often have clothes in my rifle case. Foam on one side, trousers, shirts and socks on the other side. No problem whatsoever. Flying Emirates and South African Airways. Route Zürich, Dubai, Harare, Johannesburg, Cape Town.

I did this too ...NP !
Glen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg